Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Cleaning so far.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Seek
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning so far.

I've had my Pepper White 2006 JCW for going on 5 days now and have washed it at least once a day except today (11/15/2011). Along with waxing it on the 13th.

I keep wondering how people keep their cars so clean. The rear of the Mini actually turns darker as the day goes on and the grime builds up. Along with the front bumper getting littered with dead bugs and tar marks.

Are there any tips or tricks that I need to know in order to keep her clean? It kills me to see such a perfect car so dirty.

I also have a problem with my front wheels producing mass amounts of brake dust, which is partially because I've tacked on tons of miles, but its still there either way.

I tried using tar and bug remover from an aerosol can on the front and sides. It didnt work to say the least.
However I used some good wheel cleaner that seems to work well, cant think of the name right now.
The wax I used is McGuires. Dark red can.
For cleaning the glass, I used Castle and wiped with newspaper. It actually made my windows worse.

I came to you guys, because every one I ask tells me to use so and so cleaners. Well, considering how OCD I am about my car, I would like to know what the best products are.

Help please.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
I would start here.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...he-non-oc.html

Personally, I am a huge fan of the entire Prima line of products. As for keeping it clean, I have learned it is not possible to keep it clean all the time. My car is a daily driver so I detail the exterior once a week at the least, and give the car a thorough detail in and out once a month. I am very pleased with what I get doing that. Of course, some of the guys on here only drive their cars on weekends and put maybe 10K on their cars a year. I have had my car for a year and have already put 31K on it. Haha. I would not let it get to you so bad. I live in a very dusty climate (southern New Mexico), so I have just become less OCD and invested in some nice detail spray to make the car shine in between washes....

Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 PM
MrsDarcy
Coordinator :: Alaska MINI Club
+1 for the Prima line!

Also, OctaneGuy is so helpful and has a wealth of information regarding detailing...

Old 11-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Seek
1st Gear
Okay........so after reading that, I understand that I need Hydro and a lot of Prima products.......I hate to keep asking, but what exactly should I use and in what steps? This is my first nice car and I want to keep everything safe. Dust and such is okay.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
Well, here is my usual washing regimen....

First, I spray the car down really well, especially the areas that are really dirty. I bought a foam sprayer from Detailer's Domain, so I could presoak the car in heavy suds. This lifts more dirt off the paint. I usually use a mix of Meguiar's car wash solution with some Prima Mystique. I think use a nice, clean microfiber mitt to wipe down the whole car as it is covered in soap. Next, I use another clean microfiber to dry the car, but while doing this I spray down the areas I am working on with Prima Hydro. This gives the paint a velvety feel. I then use a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant to wipe down all the black trim along the fenders and whatnot. It make it all look brand new. I do the same with the tires. On the wheels, I use Sonax wheel cleaner to make them look brand new again. Windows and whatnot are cleaned with Windex.

Of course, I also wax my car every 4 months or so, and that process is the same as above except I dry the car and then wax it with whatever wax I have on hand. I have not tried Banana Gloss from Prima myself, but have seen cars that have had it applied. It is very nice. In between waxes, the Hydro does a good job of keeping the paint shining.

Hopefully this helps some...

Old 11-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Seek
1st Gear
Okay cool, I'll be sure to try to get my hands on these products. I really like rubbing my car after it was waxed and feeling my hand glide across the paint when its clean...when waxing, should I let the wax dry then wipe smooth?

And as far as drying, I tried using a Micro fiber cloth that came in a pack of 3 to dry. and it wouldnt dry the car. Just streak, even after wringing it out.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:27 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks !!!

Originally Posted by MrsDarcy
+1 for the Prima line!

Also, OctaneGuy is so helpful and has a wealth of information regarding detailing...
I like to categorize Prima products by ease of use versus durability with one caveat- Hydro Seal. *There are 4 Prima "waxes". *I'm lumping sealants here with waxes because they have the same protective function.

Listed in easiest to use:
Hydro (spray sealant)
Banana Gloss (carnauba)
Epic *(liquid sealant)
Hydro Seal (liquid sealant)

If you want the easiest to use spray wax get Hydro. *It's as easy as spraying it on before you dry your car after a wash and wiping it all dry. *It can also be used dry.

Banana Gloss is a flash curing carnauba that you wipe on and it dries almost immediately despite the surface temperature.

Epic is most easily applied by machine but can be done by hand as well.

Hydro Seal goes on wet like Hydro but is applied with a damp towel, buffed, and dried with a MF towel. *It's more effort than plain old Hydro but last 4x longer or more.

Before you wax your paint make sure to clay it first. *My favorite clay is Meguiar's c2000 mild clay. *You can find all these products on my site at www.ShowCarSupplies.com

Check out my YouTube channel. * YouTube.com/octaneguy. For videos on claying and using Prima.

Not sure what your goal with using Bug and Tar remover was for. *To remove bugs and tar?? *Prima Cosmonot is great for this.

You will never have a dust free car but you can have that appearance by properly protecting it. *Depending on the condition of the paint it might need to be polished first but that's really beyond the scope of this initial reply.

Starting with good products is important but technique is everything.

Richard
(detailing an Audi in Jacksonville right now)

Originally Posted by Seek
Okay........so after reading that, I understand that I need Hydro and a lot of Prima products.......I hate to keep asking, but what exactly should I use and in what steps? This is my first nice car and I want to keep everything safe. Dust and such is okay.
I've had my Pepper White 2006 JCW for going on 5 days now and have washed it at least once a day except today (11/15/2011). Along with waxing it on the 13th.*
Help please.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:03 AM
gixxerjasen
4th Gear
You washed your car every day? I think you might just be OCD enough to fit in around here. Good luck, mine is dirty despite getting washed on Saturday. Stupid rain. But we really do need the rain in Texas, so if it means a dirty car then I'll accept that.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:41 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
And as far as drying, I tried using a Micro fiber cloth that came in a pack of 3 to dry. and it wouldnt dry the car. Just streak, even after wringing it out.
Richard didn't mention micro fiber. Not all micro fiber cloths are created equal as you have discovered. The stuff you buy at the local whatever is really good for dusting off your dresser. They are relatively expensive but the performance and lifetime (if well cared for) of a proper drying towell is well worth the extra cost. He's a Prima guy, Prima has very good micro fiber, I use Griot's and really like theirs but listen to him. He knows of what he speaks.

One other thing to add to your arsenal is a California Duster for when you just need to get rid of that thin layer of dust. Mine hangs on a nail within arm's reach.

As far as brake dust is concerned: A good coat of wax and regular cleaning will help. Other than that, look forward to the day you can justify replaceing the OEM pads with ceramic.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:41 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
We are really lucky to have some great resources for detailing on the forum. The items Richard mentioned really are some of the easiest products to use on the market. I've found that the whole Prima line is really helpful regardless of your abilities/experience detailing.

Also, Meguiars has some good products, but the stuff from the red can is a cleaner wax, and not very durable. If you are looking to stick with stuff you can find in the local auto parts store, I'd look at the Meguiars NXT wax or Ultimate Wax. Much better than their cleaner wax. And as Flyin' Brick mentioned above, wax the wheels as well and that will help tremendously with the brake dust, especially how much easier it'll be to clean the wheels next time around.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:48 AM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
+1 for the Griot's microfiber towels. I use them as well and they are great.

Octane Guy,

When it comes to claying my car, it is super scary to me. I am always so afraid I am going to mess something up. Do you have any tips/suggestions? I also currently live in a place where I cannot just go out and wash the car. I have to do it at a local place that runs it through a wash (bad, I know.) and then you get free use of their vacuums and whatnot to do whatever else you want on your car. Just curious. Thanks!

Old 11-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Nrob
3rd Gear
Just to add a few things:

When you buy microfiber, be sure the get one (or four) that are made for drying a car, like a waffle weave. Even the nicest most expensive microfibers will streak if they weren't meant for drying a car.

Also when putting on the tar and bug remover, it is most likely taking off the wax you had on the MINI already. So if your going to use it be sure and rewax every time.

When you wax your wheels (which does help tremendously) use a wax that is made for wheels or it won't last very long. Prima makes a wheel wax that works great. I put it on once a month (at the same time I reapply Banana Gloss to my MINI) and it really helps with the dust. PLUS, a little goes a long way.

A few other detailing essentials not mentioned:
Grit Guards
BlackWOW and PreWOW (no more wax stains YAAAY)
Clarity (also by Prima) it will make cleaning windows much easier

I know all these product names and different techniques are sometimes overwhelming, but just remember, we were all newbies once.

As a fellow PW owner (best color, I know) I can tell you that you're going to have to get used to seeing every little speck of dirt, bug guts, and tar. It drives me nuts too, but it's just the nature of the color. Also it is a little difficult to see waxes and polishes, but when it's clean man is it worth it! Keep at it!

Old 11-16-2011, 11:25 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My two cents on microfiber cloths/towels/dusters:

Get lots of them - more than you think you'll need. You need "utility" microfibers for general purpose wiping down (door jambs, wheels, etcetera), and then fluffier ones for buffing off polishes or using with quick detailing spray, and dedicated drying towels. Prima also makes a very nice MF towel that's specifically for cleaning glass. Get lots of all the different types - you don't have enough until your significant other starts looking at you funny.

If you get lots of MF towels/cloths, then you won't be tempted to continue using one once it's already dirty or full of polish/wax. Also if you drop one on a dirty floor, you won't be tempted just to shake it off and keep using it. Instead, you can just toss it with the rest of the dirty MF towels and go grab a fresh one.

Also, if you have more than enough MF towels/cloths to make up a full load in the clothes washer, you'll be less likely to throw your MF stuff in with the regular laundry. Instead, you can just keep accumulating dirty MF towels until you have enough to do a dedicated load.