Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Detailing 'bundles'

Old 10-03-2007, 08:12 AM
PHX ATC
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detailing 'bundles'

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, back to life, and killed again, but here I go. Yes, I've researched it, searched it, and re-researched it and read until my eyes quit functioning.

The basics: new MINI, driven home 60 miles from MINI N. Scottsdale and it sits in my garage since Saturday (okay, 2 zippie trips around da hood). I'll cover why it's just sitting now, since I'm sure there are questions about that problem! I have an 06 E350 Benz that was down from an accident for 8 months, it's a lease, and I have 8000 more miles to burn off that POS before December 31, so it gets driven everywhere. Back to my thoughts.... I would like to strip the wax the dealer put on it and re-up with some of the hydro, amigo, el floppo, jingo, whatevero stuffo that the peeps on here have gotten all excited about. I've been to detailer's paradise and looked at their bundles. I think, so far, I'm leaning towards bundle number 2, but kinda am thinking about bundle number 1 and adding Hydro to it.

My background with detailing: I am very limited in this arena. About the fanciest that I've ever gotten is NuFinish and a WalMart random orbit polisher on my 2004 Dodge CTD truck. It looks great when it's done and I only do it once a year because it's a garage queen (4 years old and 23000 miles on it). The Escalade ESV, well, I hire a professional detail guy to wax and spruce that up twice a year (it's black). So, basically, I'm lazy because there's alot of real estate on that black Escalade and I don't want to spend the time doing it and I'm skeered of black paint. The MINI, I think I can handle, being as it's a smaller patch o' paint to contend with, and, really, I want to give it some loving. So to speak.

Dilemma:

What stuff to get at what price. I'm not looking to spend over $150-$175 on goodies. I have microfiber towels and other goodies, but want the MINI's own selection of towels and chemicals. I'm ****, but not obsessive compulsive. I'm lazy, but don't mind spending quality time with my vehicles. I live in AZ, so it's very dusty out here. I'm 6 foot tall and like long moonlight walks...wait, that's another thread and my wife would kill me!

Whatever insight you great detailing gurus can supply is much appreciated. If you manage to suffer through this and are irritated that I've posted this same question for the 9,349,502nd time, then move along, there's nothing to see here.

Toby

Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Those bundles on DP's site are pretty nice but I prefer to do my shopping a la carte.

While I do prefer many of the Prima products and own quite a few of them, and I do love their Monster Fluffy microfiber towels, there are some other products from other sites that I also prefer.

Some of my other favorite detailing products:

Speed Shine, available at Griot's Garage.
Black Wow, available at Show Car Detailing
Meguiar's clay bar, available at your local auto parts store.

Now... if you really want to be **** about your MINI's paint, one MUST HAVE is the Porter Cable random orbital buffer. And DP has a very nice one on their site. So does Griot's and Show Car Detailing.

So... you can get the bundle if you want... it's the easiest way to get started. Or you can dig through the Detailing 101 forum and find out if some other products might interest you.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:48 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I think to start out, the DP bundles are very good. You get a little bit of everything you need if you get the big one. Then you can fill in the blanks with some Black Wow from SCD and a couple of buckets and grit guards and you'll be good to go.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:16 AM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
I have 3 detailing kits so far with more to come over the next few weeks:

https://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coo...ing_kits.html/

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE