DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

anyone w/a JCWS up for a test ride?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 12:24 PM
hrbngr
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone w/a JCWS up for a test ride?

hello, first time poster!

I recently drove the 227hp modded MCS at Mini of Sterling (the red one w/white stripes). It was hideously loud, but much more fun than the regular S. I am hoping that someone in the DC area has a MCS JCW--the newer the better that would be willing to take me for a ride. I would really like to feel the performance of the JCW kit first hand.

I am interested in a '06 JCW...especially if Mini decides to add Recaros to one of those.

Please PM or email me at jbanderson69_at_hotmail.com if this is at all possible.

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2005, 01:59 PM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW S = mucho fun

No go on the Recaros unless MINI changes its mind:
http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/07/..._the_us_market

Old 07-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
No need to PM, I'll say it publicly. Sure, I'll give you a ride. It's a very recent build, I picked it up March 1st.

The only extra parts that might distract from your comparisons to the stock MCS are the JCW suspension & brakes, but in straight line acceleration only, it would be a fair comparison. By the sounds of it though, your main concerns were finding one with 05 gearing and perhaps LSD. Got both... although the LSD is only really felt on hard cornering & turning. The Dragon is one place I definitely felt it kicking in!

Old 07-13-2005, 09:16 PM
hrbngr
1st Gear
Edge,

sounds great feel free to PM me or send me an email an I will reply w/my work phone number. If you have any time this weekend I am pretty open. also, I work in arlington.

thanks again.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:01 AM
matthewz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hrbngr
Edge,

sounds great feel free to PM me or send me an email an I will reply w/my work phone number. If you have any time this weekend I am pretty open. also, I work in arlington.
Perhaps you two could meet at the Tate b'fast Saturday, you'll see it in the D.C. Metro MINI's (DCMM) section of the forums.

I'm actually using this post to twist Edge's arm, and get him over to the breakfast. If you'd like to try and 05 JCW MCS w/o suspension and brake kits, talk to me, I live in Laurel.

Cheers,
Matthew Z.

Old 07-14-2005, 03:24 PM
hrbngr
1st Gear
Matthew,

that sounds good to me. i would definitely like to get a ride for comparision purposes. do the brakes and suspension mods cause any warranty problems? i saw the jcw brakes in the brochure at mini of sterling...where does one find out how much they cost? is the jcw brake kit a good option or are there more affordable ones that wont affect warranty status?

please PM or email me w/some info on when you might be free for a ride.

thanks,
john

Old 07-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
John,

I'll PM you after this post with my contact info. To answer the questions you just asked, all JCW parts are fully covered by the MINI warranty, provided they are installed by a MINI dealer. No warranty problems whatsoever. However, JCW parts often cost more than many aftermarket solutions, so that's where the debate usually goes. Personally, I like having that "OEM feel", and the full warranty at any dealer in the country, so I'm happy with my choice. Some dealers may sell and install aftermarket parts, and provide a warranty for them, however it is likely that only that dealer (and -perhaps- other dealers/shops who sell the same aftermarket stuff) will provide warranty service for them.

I think the JCW brake kit is a good upgrade, although even better performing ones are available in the aftermarket. See the following news items from MotoringFile for more info on the brakes & suspension:

Brakes:
JCW Sport Brake Kit in Detail
More Details on the JCW Brake Kit
The JCW Brake Kit and What Wheels Fit
JCW Sport Brake Kit Review

Suspension:
JCW Suspension In Detail
Official JCW Suspension How-To (read the comments for the author's feedback on how it performs)

Old 07-22-2005, 08:48 AM
hrbngr
1st Gear
Edge,

thanks again for the sweet test ride!!! it's too bad that it had to rain so much, but that dry parts were awesome.

Matthew,
I am still up for a ride in a JCW w/a stock suspension, so please let me know if your offer is still available!

Old 07-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
You're welcome, John... I just hope I didn't scare you too much. :smile:

You should be paying close attention to MotoringFile.com. Lots of important news going on... for example, the new 2006 price changes & options (including factory JCW stuff) was released today.

Despite being offline last weekend (a very unusual occurance), they are worth checking every day.