R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Driving the CVT in sport mode?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:27 AM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving the CVT in sport mode?

i've only had my 2003 R50 for about 6 weeks and really enjoy it, it has 36K miles and the auto CVT tranny. now, i've read tons of threads on using the SD mode and all it seems to have done is confuse me. it may sound like a rookie question but, hey... IT IS !

so in laymen's terms to engage the SD mode i toggle to the right- and SD illuminates in the sppedo display. and if i want to shift "manually" i push and/or pull. thats all easy enough. what i don't truly understand and where the confusion lies for me is how to utilize SD mode and allow the computer to make the shifts for me. i guess AUTO-SD for lack of a better term? i know the CVT is "known" for the driver not feeling the shifts? but it seems in normal D mode i can somewhat. and in SD i do not.

so if i want to drive in AUTO SD do i just toggle the shifter over to the right and drive as if i were in D? or do i toggle over and pull back once into 1st and let the computer take over from there? sorry about this all the manual for the MINI is really bad and i haven't seen a clear cut example that clears it up for me.

thanks..

Old 01-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
You got it. Pushing the lever to the right, and then not pushing it up/down puts you in SD (Sports Drive), as indicated on your speedo display.

In this mode, the computer will be making the shift decisions for you, but in a much more spirited manner by moving the shiftpoints up on the tachometer.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:59 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
so just to clarify-toggling over to the right which would indicate SD on the speedo i can just hit the gas and cvt shifts for me automatic style. however if i start to push pull, then i'm entering maual mode.

cool that is how i thought it works.

thank you very much.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Dr. Pepper
4th Gear
cvt confusion

To confuse you even more, when you toggle to the right into sport mode and then push into 1st gear, if you floor the gas pedal and do nothing to the shift lever the tranny will shift into second when you hit redline(6000 rpm). Also if you are in manual shift mode and are going to slow for the gear you have selected, the tranny will downshift automatically to the next best gear for your speed.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:23 PM
mondsiu
1st Gear
you just push the gear to the right once and don't shift down or up and drive. your screen should hv the SD sign on instead of the number of gears

Old 01-10-2008, 06:41 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
yep i get the SD display in my speedo. now i understand the way to work it. next- so does the the cvt perform each shift at each respective gears redline- 6000 RPM?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Originally Posted by whiteyanderson
so does the the cvt perform each shift at each respective gears redline- 6000 RPM?
That is only when you are in manual mode, and forget to shift. It is just keeping the engine from blowing up...

Old 01-10-2008, 07:21 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
That is only when you are in manual mode, and forget to shift. It is just keeping the engine from blowing up...
LOL .

ok last question. i think... slightly off topic but, since we are on the CVT...

my 03 R50. i have added an afe CAI. and i'm putting in a megan racing catback exhaust. no, i don't expect it to fly but, i like the sound and the POSSIBLE increase in throttle response etc. next mods will be minimal and limited tosuspension/ handling things- rear swa, lighter rims, etc. . i have no delusions of a CVT R50 shooting flames while outgunning a maserati.

my question is: i read elsewhere on the forum. maybe someone extrememly paranoid- that adding an aftermarket exhust to the CVT powered MINI would then require the MINI to be "retuned"? this doen't make sense to me as the gains in horsepower would be very minimal IF anything. am i correct in this assumption that "retuning" the MINI w/ CVT after a simple exhaust upgrade is not needed.

thanks for helpin the rookie .

Old 01-10-2008, 08:55 PM
minitoo
1st Gear
Here Whitey...go here for all you can digest on how to drive your CVT. Best thing out there.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/cvt-autom...technique.html

And you are fine without any fancy retuning for just adding a catback. My obsolete RSpeed catback made a nice improvement in midrange feel and a bit of power without any additional tuning. Would it be better with tuning also? Maybe, don't know. But a catback alone isn't likely to cause any problems.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:21 AM
fastfinger
Neutral
Normal VS Sport algorithm

Start from a dead stop in normal mode and you experience the annoying CVT hesitation... but use the Sport mode for take off and no hesitation... strange how they messed up on their tranny programming and why can't they reprogram the tranny so even normal mode allows for smooth take offs?

Old 06-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Not sport unless its manual :(....LOL

Old 06-22-2008, 03:08 PM
fastfinger
Neutral
friendly criticism

And here I thought that I would find insightful answers to automotive questions! My friend who works as an Nissan engineer has shown me data on how a cvt can indeed outperform a standard shifter tranny... and I know it has fewer parts for potential trouble. The MINI tranny was designed by a german company that made a very similar tranny for racing snowmobiles. I like the idea of the CVT -- just thought someone might be able to shed some light on how to improve it... and that's why we write here--to improve things!