Chains on Countryman ALL4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:29 AM
ghamma
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chains on Countryman ALL4?

I've had generations of 4WD/AWD vehicles, the most recent of which is my Honda Pilot. The AWD is great for getting through CA chain controls, especially with aggressive A/T tires, and it works pretty well for going through the snow. When ice is added to the challenge, I chain up.
I've got my Countryman ALL4 with 17" AS tires ordered. Is there any way to put chains (probably have to be cable chains if any) on this vehicle. Searching the forums, I've seen no discussion of chains with this Mini.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:13 AM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
From the R56 and Calif side...

I have an MC S and have thought about the chain issue given it is FWD. It's tight in there more so since I want to 225's from 205's. On yours, look carefully at the clearance to the inside strut tower in front--on mine it is tight both vertically and horizontally. So much so I'm not sure cables would be a go. I might need to use the expensive spider type set ups.

Having a place in Tahoe, I have concluded on real snow tires for AWD vehicles (Audi's, a Toyota and a Chrysler AWD minivan). The Audi's have an AWD system far beyond the CM (and the larger longitudinal motor cars much more so than the Golf-based Synchro transverse system in TT's or A3's). The Toyota and the Chrysler are in the same zone as the CM (FWD based, relatively simple reactive power transfer to rear), and the Chrysler system was supplied by Steyr (the CM assembler) to start with. Differences from snow tires to all seasons, especially on the less advanced AWD systems/vehicles was really pronounced in Tahoe winter use. You mention ice, and true snow tires are worlds different on ice than unchained A/S's. Recently had a tire problem with the Toyota snow RF's that required a brief change back to all seasons on front for a few days (waiting for the TireRack delivery) during Tahoe snow weather, and the Toyota basically couldn't even get traction in front w/ out chains relative to the back, even with the heavy front weight, similar 225's, and front biased AWD system.

Yes, to be safe south of snow tires, indeed chain devices (and related incrementally slower speeds) may be in order, particularly if you are talking the curves and slopes typical of Sierra environs. Snow tires and wheels do add a bunch of cost; I run the vehicles over 10 year life cycles and many annual trips to the mountains, so I decided it was worth it.

Originally Posted by ghamma
I've had generations of 4WD/AWD vehicles, the most recent of which is my Honda Pilot. The AWD is great for getting through CA chain controls, especially with aggressive A/T tires, and it works pretty well for going through the snow. When ice is added to the challenge, I chain up.
I've got my Countryman ALL4 with 17" AS tires ordered. Is there any way to put chains (probably have to be cable chains if any) on this vehicle. Searching the forums, I've seen no discussion of chains with this Mini.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:01 PM
cpomeray
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ghamma
Searching the forums, I've seen no discussion of chains with this Mini.
There was a discussion about chains that might be relevant here.

I chose the CM for getting to Tahoe and I went with snow tires.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:26 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
Thanks to all - this has been a very useful response and clarifies the options.