Drivetrain ETA on DOS CAI

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a new R60 CAI "Trusted Tester" in the SF Bay Area . . .

Hi All,

As it turns out, our current trusted R60 owner who was assisting Defenders of Speed with the CAI project is unavailable to help us out.

Are there any R60 S owners local to San Francisco that would be willing to helps DoS out with final fitment and maybe some dyno time? If so drop me an a PM on the forum or an email at clint@defendersofspeed.com.

So you may be asking yourself, "What do I get for all this?" -- You get a free DoS R60 CAI system in exchange for your time!

If anyone's interested, let me know!

-Clint

Old 06-12-2013, 08:25 AM
cbryantnyc
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, how I wish that I lived in the San Francisco area!

Old 06-12-2013, 05:21 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
I know what I'm getting for Christmas. I hate surprises anyway.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:25 PM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I was the one in SF working with Clint. Reason I'm not available is cuz I no longer have the R60, and therefore 'it' is no longer available to test the actual CAI and I'm bummed about it.
Clint is an outstanding guy. Help him out.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
A very kind gentleman in Santa Rosa is going to help DoS out with the R60 CAI final test fitting & validation! Thanks so much those who volunteered!!

-Clint

Old 06-13-2013, 04:36 AM
Mbroncosfan422
2nd Gear
Anyone know why (besides the bulkhead ) the r56 dos wouldn't work on the r60

Old 06-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Weare138
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
A very kind gentleman in Santa Rosa is going to help DoS out with the R60 CAI final test fitting & validation! Thanks so much those who volunteered!!

-Clint
yes thank you!

Old 06-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Clint, while we're waiting, any more details on how this is going to work? The renders you showed us make it look like it will occupy the place of the original air box. I'm having trouble picturing how the bulkhead access point will work.

Also, do you have a sense of how the audio will be on the R60 CAI compared to CAI for the other Minis?

Old 06-14-2013, 02:39 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon

-Clint
Will the DOS CAI fit also EU Countrymans? If you need some testing feel free to contact me! I've been working with Supersprint for the development of the exhaust

Old 06-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Mbroncosfan422
Anyone know why (besides the bulkhead ) the r56 dos wouldn't work on the r60
The bulkhead is the problem. It has way more forward facing contour than the rather flat R55-thru-R59 bulkhead. That issue posed a huge developmental hurdle for us.

Originally Posted by Hujan
Clint, while we're waiting, any more details on how this is going to work? The renders you showed us make it look like it will occupy the place of the original air box. I'm having trouble picturing how the bulkhead access point will work.
The renderings unfortunately only show the "street" version of the R60 intake. We needed to develop the street version first because this is what "most" folks want from a CAI. No holes to cut = no muss, no fuss . . . It is also quiet while still improving the performance of your engine.

The "performance/track" version has a port in the side of the housing for a snorkel that mates with a grommet in the bulkhead.

Also, (before I forget), you're not seeing the really cool optional noise baffle that mounts to the end of the "street" version of the intake --or-- inside the snorkel on the "performance/track" version. You can see more about this part here: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...61923377223959.

On the "street" version, the hole on the domed portion comes stock with a removable plug installed. The noise baffle replaces this plug, allows for more sound and keeps the hot air out of the intake housing at the low RPMs. It only allows exterior air to enter the intake housing after the engine is under load and the car is up to speed, thus cooler air is circulating over the car and within in the engine compartment.

Originally Posted by Hujan
Also, do you have a sense of how the audio will be on the R60 CAI compared to CAI for the other Minis?
For the "performance/track" version -- Without the baffle mentioned above, you will have sound quality that is similar to R55-thru-R59 CAI (you can basically hear everything the turbo and electronic BOV does). --OR-- With the baffle, you'll only hear sound when you really "nail the throttle" or the engine is under high load.

The "street" version is fairly enclosed & quiet unless you add the optional noise baffle.

We're giving you lots of options with this intake to meet the needs of many different performance enthusiasts.

Originally Posted by Nimrandir
Will the DOS CAI fit also EU Countrymans . . .
Yes, it will fit EU R60's with no problems!

Old 06-19-2013, 03:59 AM
threar
4th Gear
This looks pretty awesome. I was wondering, is the noise baffle removable? Would be nice if on normal days I can make the car sound mean, but on the longer trips I can make it a little more quiet (so as not to overly disturb the passengers).

Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by threar
This looks pretty awesome. I was wondering, is the noise baffle removable? Would be nice if on normal days I can make the car sound mean, but on the longer trips I can make it a little more quiet (so as not to overly disturb the passengers).
Yes, you can remove the baffle for different situations. The baffle is more easily removable on the "performance/track" version than it is on the "street" version due to differences in in how it gets mounted for each configuration.

You might be able to grind back the mounting tabs a bit on the "street" intake for ease of cover/removal, but that will require some experimentation.

-Clint

Old 06-19-2013, 02:16 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Good choice going with carbon fiber. It's very classy and sporty at the same time. Im glad I've waited for the Dos intake. I hear good thing come to those who wait.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Just posted some photos of the pre-production intake on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7223959&type=3

Got a BIG (& hopefully final) test-fitting & instruction manual photos session lined-up for tomorrow.
Fingers crossed to start taking more pre-orders & prepping production parts next week!

Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Clint, it's looking great! Thanks for sticking with the platform after the design hassles!

Make sure to put us down for one of the first race versions once you have those complete.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:08 PM
3leafz
2nd Gear
This is exactly what i want! i canceled my NM CAI just because of this. keep us updated with pre-order info.

look forward getting one when it's available.

Are you planning to get CARB Exempt for this intake system in the future, it is certainly a plus.

-Cal

Old 06-29-2013, 12:50 AM
manho1dup
3rd Gear
I will definitely be in for one of these. I've been holding off on a CAI until DOS developed one for the R60.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:41 AM
Mbroncosfan422
2nd Gear
Hey Clint when does the preorder begin. Definately sign me up for one. I can't wait to put this in our cm. I have the dos on my jcw and absolutely love it !

Old 06-29-2013, 06:25 AM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Beautiful. Is the valve that opens at higher rpm's allready designed? I don't see any pics of that. One other thing, that appears like dry carbon fiber look. Will the production be the
smooth glossy look? That's one long filter, looks like it would flow good.

PS, thanks for posting here. I don't Facebook, I get in enough trouble with the wife without facebook female issues.

Last edited by countryman-s; 06-29-2013 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 06-29-2013, 10:05 AM
ayk07
4th Gear
how much would the price be? i have the nm cai.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Pre-Order for DoS R60 CAI is now up at defendersofspeed.com

The test fitting this past weekend went extremely well!

So, for those interested, the link to the R60 CAI Pre-Order Deposit/Downpayment can be found here:

http://www.defendersofspeed.com/pre-...r-dos-r60-cai/

I'll announce final pricing later this week.

Best,

-Clint

Old 07-02-2013, 12:23 AM
threar
4th Gear
Looking good; I just placed my pre-order.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:49 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
Will you make a video with a stock cooper s (no exhaust etc) and stock cooper s with the new CAI installed (with and without the cap)?

I ask for a stock cooper so you can understand how much the CAI will improve the noise.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:03 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by countryman-s
Beautiful. Is the valve that opens at higher rpm's allready designed? . . .
Here is a pic of the valve. It's the same one used on the noise baffle for the R56 CAI.

Originally Posted by countryman-s
One other thing, that appears like dry carbon fiber look. Will the production be the
smooth glossy look? . . .
As mentioned earlier in this thread, the housing will have a dry carbon fiber look. For customers that want a glossy housing, there will be a $60.00 upcharge. (Email me about this option because it will not be listed on the website initially.)

Old 07-02-2013, 05:26 AM
cbryantnyc
2nd Gear
Clint,

I am assuming this is the "street" version pictured. Correct? If so, do you plan on having any pics of the "race" version?

Do you see any issues with the CAI clearing a strut bar?

Are you planning on selling a modified bulkhead for the R60 as well?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain ETA on DOS CAI