Drivetrain RaceChip (Pro): a workable ECU tune solution (and possible group buy)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 PM
All3MiniS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RaceChip (Pro): a workable ECU tune solution (and possible group buy)?

There has been a bit of discussion about this in the "thread for newly found countryman parts accessories", so I thought at this point it might warrant its own thread.

Admittedly, I am new to the whole tuning game, especially when it comes to turbo cars. From my research I have seen that ECU remaps, tunes, flashes, etc. are a pretty standard starting point for increasing performance. It seems pretty well documented that there are substantial gains to be had, and when approached correctly, not a terrible amount of risk.

Some of these risks are acceptable, but others I am not so willing to bear. For instance, I am willing to accept the risk that my investment does not pay of with the gains I am hoping for, but I am not prepared to void any or all of my warranty. Specifically with the Countryman, there is the added risk that to reprogram an ECU it must be removed from the car, shipped to a tuner (or brought in person to a limited number of qualified shops), physically broken open, and then shipped back once the tune is complete. To me, and I imagine others, this is not a particularly appealing proposition.

Enter the RaceChip Pro (and possibly other similar devices from their competitors). I am in no way shape or form qualified to discuss the technical aspects of how this works and how it would compare to a tune by a qualified technician with expertise in turbo systems and Minis. However I will make a quick comparison based on my understanding.

Expected HP/TQ Gains:
ECU Remap: ~14-40%
RaceChip: 17%(base model max)- 26%(pro model max)
RaceChip page for R60 claims

Cost:
ECU Remap: $500-700
RaceChip: $480(base)-$680 (Pro)

Pros:
ECU Remap:
  1. Expert tuning custom to your car
  2. Adjust specifically for other mods
  3. Full control over various parameters and performance characteristics
  4. Ability to program "non-performance" functions
  5. Highest potential gains
RaceChip:
  1. Easy plug-n-play installation
  2. Easily removable if needed
  3. Solid performance gains (if claims are true)
  4. Individually adjustable (9 "steps" for the base model and 16 for the Pro)
  5. No potential of accidentally overwriting the tune
  6. Untraceable
  7. Solid track record of positive feedback
  8. 14 Day return window
  9. Transferrable to other vehicles (with proper wiring harness)

Cons:
ECU Remap:
  1. Requires removal and hack of ECU
  2. Potential for damage due to improper tuning
  3. Inability to adjust for after-the-fact modifications
  4. Potential to void warranty
  5. Potential for ECU update to wipe out tune
  6. Vehicle down time during shipping of ECU
  7. Lack of adjustability

RaceChip:
  1. Somewhat more expensive (Pro model)
  2. Unknown quantity on Minis (no test data available)
  3. "Lower-tech" method for achieving changes in ECU behavior (intercepts and modifies ECU signals)
  4. No ability to adjust "non-performance" features
  5. Expected results somewhat more modest than bespoke tune results may be

Based on the above factors I think I have talked myself into a purchase of the RaceChip Pro. I was minutes away from pulling my ECU and mailing it to a shop as I currently have two cars and can afford to be without the CM, but the other major drawbacks stopped me. Namely the potential to void my warranty, possible overwrite of the tune and inability to adjust or remove in the future led me to the conclusion that the RaceChip better suits my interests.

I realize that I may be leaving a few ponies on the table by not going custom, but my goal is improved performance, not maximum performance. There is also the chance that it doesn't perform well and I have a $700 paperweight (although there is the 14 day return period, so I would just be out $75-150 in postage).

There is also an ebay seller who is importing and distributing these devices. At least one NAM member (threar) has already pulled the trigger, and if I had an extra few days to wait I would order through them as well (shipping is a bit slower because it is first shipped to TX) since his price is a little better.

I did have a conversation with the ebay seller about the possibility of a group buy. He said that he was open to it, but would have to get back to me with any kinds of details. Let me know if you would be interested so I can give him an idea on quantity so you all can get the best price. By then there should also be some hands on data from me and threar to document performance on the CM.

*DISCLOSURE*
I have no affiliation or personal interest in RaceChip or any other provider of performance parts and services. I also have no vested stake in a group buy as I will be purchasing direct from the manufacturer. These statements are based solely on my own (and limited) knowledge of the Mini performance aftermarket.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:26 PM
All3MiniS
1st Gear
UPDATE Just completed the online transaction to order this from RaceChip directly. Ran into a few hiccoughs during the ordering process. First, Paypal would not let me make a payment from an overseas address. Second, my Visa card blocked the transaction, again because of the overseas transaction and dollar amount. A quick call to Chase and the problem was resolved. Hopefully the unit arrives soon and I will have some positive updates on the unit's performance.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:25 AM
threar
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I mentioned in the other thread, I purchased through the Ebay reseller. This is a good test to see which one arrives first.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:13 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
I'm planning to do an exhaust first, but I'd be interested in a group buy in a few months. If the group wants sooner than that, I can probably be persuaded.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:41 AM
kconner5
4th Gear
Either way... I definitely recommend a tune! I have a tune on my ALL4 and it has made all the difference. Best of luck with your tuning y'all!

Kyle

Old 05-02-2012, 07:05 AM
All3MiniS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by threar
As I mentioned in the other thread, I purchased through the Ebay reseller. This is a good test to see which one arrives first.
This is the response I got from the ebay seller in regards to shipping time:
"Delivery takes aprox. 10 days since chips are ordered on request from
germany. Items are shipped from germany to our facility in tx then shipped ups ground to your location."

And this is the response from RaceChip regarding shipping time:
"The shipping time to USA are 3-4 days."

Old 05-02-2012, 07:32 AM
All3MiniS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kconner5
Either way... I definitely recommend a tune! I have a tune on my ALL4 and it has made all the difference. Best of luck with your tuning y'all!

Kyle
Glad to hear that you are enjoying the results of your tune. I am looking forward to it as the other two Mini's in my household are JCW's. Nobody wants to be big AND slow (both big and slow definitely being relative terms).

BTW, your tune seems to be an interesting one. I noticed that your gains were very torque biased with ~14% HP gain but over 40% TQ gain. Comparatively, the tune in the european car article resulted in +21% HP and +17% TQ, and the other PAW tune got +17%HP and +28% TQ. These seem about inline with the max results of 26%HP and 26%TQ that RaceChip claims.

Did you request it to be tuned in such a way, or maybe it was a result of other mods you have done?

I will say that one distinct advantage of a custom tune from PAW or others is that it sounds like they let you go from mild to wild with the press of the sport button by putting a different map for each mode. I will be curious to see how the RaceChip Pro reacts to sport mode.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:27 AM
liveSTRONG
3rd Gear
I'm semi interested. Can't wait for more info and feedback.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:00 AM
frstrtdmac
3rd Gear
Id be interested as well! Keep us all up to date!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:34 AM
All3MiniS
1st Gear
Update: Just talked to a friendly gentleman at UPS who needed to know what was in the box so he could report it to customs (couldn't read the German on the box). He told me that it should be stateside by tomorrow and then at more door no later than Friday!!!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:45 AM
youthanasia
3rd Gear
Keep us posted. Is there an AWD dyno near you?

Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 AM
All3MiniS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by youthanasia
Keep us posted. Is there an AWD dyno near you?
There are a couple AWD dynos within an hour or so. However, I just dropped $30K+ on the car and another $700 on the chip, so I don't know how inclined I'll be to go spend money on a dyno session.

I have messed with the dinodyno app for android with pretty reasonable results, and for my own interest I don't need much more than that. It's a least a step up from "seat of the pants" measurements.

I do have a 2600 mile trip coming up, so I will be able to provide lots of subjective feed back and fuel consumption figures.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:10 AM
threar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by All3MiniS
Update: Just talked to a friendly gentleman at UPS who needed to know what was in the box so he could report it to customs (couldn't read the German on the box). He told me that it should be stateside by tomorrow and then at more door no later than Friday!!!
Wow, very nice. Looks like you're going to win the race.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:13 AM
frstrtdmac
3rd Gear
There are a couple AWD dynos within an hour or so. However, I just dropped $30K+ on the car and another $700 on the chip, so I don't know how inclined I'll be to go spend money on a dyno session.

I have messed with the dinodyno app for android with pretty reasonable results, and for my own interest I don't need much more than that. It's a least a step up from "seat of the pants" measurements.

I do have a 2600 mile trip coming up, so I will be able to provide lots of subjective feed back and fuel consumption figures.
Dynos shouldn't be too expensive.. I would suggest it since you can find your sweet spot for your new shiny box!!

Old 05-02-2012, 02:17 PM
All3MiniS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by frstrtdmac
Dynos shouldn't be too expensive.. I would suggest it since you can find your sweet spot for your new shiny box!!
"Expensive" is a relative term of cost vs. value. To me driving feel is enough of a gauge of whether or not I am satisfied with the results. For more precision than that I can used the dyno app on my phone. While it is certainly not the pinnacle of accuracy, I have been satisfied with the results so far. With that in mind, any cost for a dyno will seem "expensive". I have looked into getting a couple quotes for dyno time, but I expect they will beyond what I am willing to spend.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:43 PM
youthanasia
3rd Gear
All3MiniS, that would work. All you really need is a baseline, and what it is after the mod.

Looking forward to see your results!

Old 05-02-2012, 03:54 PM
All3MiniS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by youthanasia
All3MiniS, that would work. All you really need is a baseline, and what it is after the mod.

Looking forward to see your results!
My thoughts exactly. I have baselined it using the app at 178 HP with no modification.

As soon as I install the RaceChip with the factory setting and I will test it again. Then I can test differences in performance and fuel economy at various settings on the RaceChip during my cross country drive.

The factory setting (which they claim to be optimal for balancing performance and economy) is only 1 notch from maximum, so I will probably end up leaving it there in the end.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:39 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
That sounds great all3minis. I will be following this thread now. Thanks for being the tester of this product for us NAM members.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:24 AM
frstrtdmac
3rd Gear
Oh Man! Can it be Friday already!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:42 AM
All3MiniS
1st Gear
Good News and Bad News

Originally Posted by frstrtdmac
Oh Man! Can it be Friday already!
The good news is.... it is Friday already, because UPS just delivered my RaceChip Pro. I will be installing it very shortly.

The bad news is I had to pay another $25.21 in brokerage fees. This brings my total cost to $721.24. A hefty premium to receive the chip a few days sooner. Lets hope it was worth it!!!

Stay TUNED (pun intended)!!!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:54 AM
52804x4
5th Gear
The good news is.... it is Friday already, because UPS just delivered my RaceChip Pro. I will be installing it very shortly.

The bad news is I had to pay another $25.21 in brokerage fees. This brings my total cost to $721.24. A hefty premium to receive the chip a few days sooner. Lets hope it was worth it!!!

Hurry up!!
LOL!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 AM
threar
4th Gear

Nice, I guess my prize for being in second place is learning patience (which I suck at) and saving $42.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 AM
ayk07
4th Gear

can you also post a video if its no problem?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:47 PM
All3MiniS
1st Gear
First Impressions

Originally Posted by 52804x4
Hurry up!!
LOL!
Well, it's in. It was no 2-5min install as promised.Partly because I don't know my way around under the hood of my Mini yet, but also because the instructions that came with the kit are incomplete. They show only hooking up to one sensor, and on the Mini it clearly requires two. After a bit of screwing around trying to figure out where the MAP sensor was I finally got it installed.

Now I should qualify my statements by saying that I have only had my R60 for all of 600 miles. So overall it still feels new and different to me, and that makes it more difficult to tell what is new or different with the RaceChip installed.

Upon initial start up I could tell the sound was a little different. Just barely, but perceptible. Pulling down the driveway I could feel that it was a little different, and the exhaust sound was a little different.

Can you tell that the theme here is "a little different". I drove around a bit, did a couple of launches, tried a couple of dinodyno runs (although it was not cooperating), and then drove around some more.

While the jury is still out, I will say that there is clearly a difference in performance and driving feel. That said, it is not night and day, and it has not turned into a JCW killer or anything of the sort.

I am going to keep messing with it and see if there is any kind of "break-in" period or if this is what I get for $725. I am not dissatisfied, but I have a hard time believing I got anywhere near a 26% improvement.

I will be interested to see how it reacts with threar's modified car as mine is bone stock.

On Monday it is going in for service, so I will be removing the chip. Perhaps switching it back will allow me to see just how much improvement there is.

Originally Posted by ayk07
can you also post a video if its no problem?
I am not sure that I know what you would like me to post a video of. Can you elaborate?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 PM
MADnFL
2nd Gear
Hmmmm, wonder what gains you would get if you already have the JCW Tuning kit? Anyway, I'm hoping to hear some good things about the RaceChip!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain RaceChip (Pro): a workable ECU tune solution (and possible group buy)?