Drivetrain Air Intake Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Hobie44610
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAF is prior to the turbo. Well at least it is on my International diesel engine in my Ford Superduty.

K&N makes an aftermarket for that rig too however the OEM filters particles so minute that no other company can match it.

Guys who have added aftermarket air filters to their trucks stand a substantial chance of dusting their turbos.

I'd suggest an aftermarket exhaust system especially one where you can swap the kitty in and out with a test pipe if you want to hear the tubo.

The engine would breath better as well. Not sure if such an exhaust system is made for the CM though. Probably not.

When the kitty is removed from my diesel the turbo whistle sounds like an F-16 on the tarmac. Pretty kewl. I also get more power, less turbo lag and the engine roars like a lion. That's with a Banks 4" turbo back dual exhaust system.

Hobie

Old 08-05-2011, 07:37 AM
surfwagon
1st Gear
I'm all for people installing CAIs for sound, fun of it and looks. I was only commenting that replacing the air filter system may not have the desired hp benefit and oil filters have advantages and drawbacks.

My personal experience (sample size of me) would be to stick with dry filters... I've had both... simple and cheap to replace.

Note: a previous poster had the heat sheild/hp comment..

Old 08-05-2011, 07:49 AM
PoundTown
Neutral
Originally Posted by surfwagon
I'm all for people installing CAIs for sound, fun of it and looks. I was only commenting that replacing the air filter system may not have the desired hp benefit and oil filters have advantages and drawbacks.

My personal experience (sample size of me) would be to stick with dry filters... I've had both... simple and cheap to replace.

Note: a previous poster had the heat sheild/hp comment..
Of course, I don't think anyone is arguing that an intake system will have anything more than marginal hp gains, but like you said sound, reliability, and a cleaner look should be the goals of anyone installing an aftermarket CAI.

I was just trying to see if any engine gurus had any negative experience with the KN oiled filters. I myself had a 300zx that the MAF was ruined due to oil buildup from a KN filter. Was hoping to pass the info along to those that weren't as savvy.

A test pipe or catalytic converter delete pipe would be a super cheap and easy mod depending on the location of the cat. My 2010 camaro ss(RIP) had 4 cats that were on a bended tube(similar to headers) so a fabricated pipe was a PITA to try and make.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:59 AM
magpullin
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when I was looking into a similar set up for my Infiniti what I read was....

1. The K&N will let more air pass through (less resistance), but this also lets more and larger particles pass through.
2. the oil used to coat the K&N will be sucked into the system to some degree and may lead to problems.

Those 2 things led me to just say no and look for other ways to up hp, and get better sound and aesthetics.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:44 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by threar
Finally able to start getting around to modifying my MINI, and decided to start with the air intake. Went with the stuff from VIP Custom Parts, and have to say it looks pretty good.

You can read about the install at my blog here.
I just wanted to say thanks to threar for the write-up on his blog... I got my VIP CAI installed yesterday and the instructions they include with it are not terribly useful if you've never done such an install before and your post really helped fill in the gaps.

Thanks again!

(I'm loving all the singing my CM does now, BTW )

Old 08-17-2011, 01:27 AM
threar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
I just wanted to say thanks to threar for the write-up on his blog... I got my VIP CAI installed yesterday and the instructions they include with it are not terribly useful if you've never done such an install before and your post really helped fill in the gaps.

Thanks again!

(I'm loving all the singing my CM does now, BTW )
Glad my writeup could be of some help. I still find myself having to back off the accelerator just cause I want to hear the intake.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:34 AM
riff42
1st Gear
Originally Posted by threar
Finally able to start getting around to modifying my MINI, and decided to start with the air intake. Went with the stuff from VIP Custom Parts, and have to say it looks pretty good.

You can read about the install at my blog here.
Nice install. Now the questions
1: What is that LOWER tube (mind you, I don't have my CSM yet) doing there? Is that the original air intake routing? Why leave it there if it's just a tube being bored, OR does it ram the air more effectively into the cone filter?
2: I think I just answered my own question, but....If you have air sucking into the filter in the engine bay, won't that suck in HOT air, unless you have a solid airbox there?
3: Where does the air come from, and has anyone done any mods to get cooler air inside the intake? (I've seen some intake tubes in wheelwells, sealed from the inside of the bay, and some just sucking up hot bay air)
4: Is the plate/box shown just a plate, I might want to make a carbon fiber one if I do this mod.

Thanks!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:43 AM
threar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by riff42
Nice install. Now the questions
1: What is that LOWER tube (mind you, I don't have my CSM yet) doing there? Is that the original air intake routing? Why leave it there if it's just a tube being bored, OR does it ram the air more effectively into the cone filter?
2: I think I just answered my own question, but....If you have air sucking into the filter in the engine bay, won't that suck in HOT air, unless you have a solid airbox there?
3: Where does the air come from, and has anyone done any mods to get cooler air inside the intake? (I've seen some intake tubes in wheelwells, sealed from the inside of the bay, and some just sucking up hot bay air)
4: Is the plate/box shown just a plate, I might want to make a carbon fiber one if I do this mod.

Thanks!
1: The lower tube is the outside air intake. The other end is just behind the grill on the driver-side. It's there to get some of the outside cooler air into the area.
2: While I don't have a temp guage in there, I suspect you're getting a mixture of hot and cold air there. The idea is to increase the overall available air.
3: I was contemplating some mods for this as well, but haven't come up with anything yet. A proper CAI is likely to come in not too long (if not available already).
4: It is just a plate. So going CF would be good. Keep in mind that this plate gets extremely hot, so whatever option you go make sure it stays safe.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:56 AM
riff42
1st Gear
I will be setting up a temp recording system one day and seeing what temps are what. Especially around the turbo. I know I can use material that has a service temp of 500f (I think 400f for aero primary structures) so a SIMPLE shape should be easy. Else I think the best CF prepreg I have is service rated to 375f. I'm sure the inside doesn't get THAT hot, since there are nylon and other lower grade plastics in the engine bay. Maybe I'll just put a hoodscoop above it, and block off the rest of the filter

Old 09-13-2011, 10:43 AM
threar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Flyer53
Installed the Air Intake from VIP today... Pretty straight and simple...nice product and nice swoooosh sounds. Can really hear the turbo now. Also bought and installed the the heat shield from VIP. That actually took a liitle more work/mods as the plastic cover with Mini logo isn't made to go on after the shield is installed. Didn't like the look without the cover, so just slimmed down the plastic and all looks good and fits great. Now only if I had the correct signal/parking lights to swap out for the ambers would of been a perfect day.
I agree about the cover, and spent part of Saturday slimming down my cover as well. Looks much better with the cover back on (and nice to see the logo again).

Old 09-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DoS CAI is the only real COLD air intake out there. Anything that pulls air from the engine compartment is not cold...

Old 10-07-2011, 12:38 PM
kittoh
1st Gear
I am thinking about making my own CAI pulling straight from the fresh air duct (see #8 in the pic). Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails Air Intake Modifications-r60-intake.jpg  
Old 10-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I dont see a CAI as being much of a big deal here because any heat negated will be double-negated (posited?) by heat added back in off passing through the turbo. Your intercooler is the big factor here, I am installing 2 - 7" ducted fans tomorrow to see what effects (positive, or none?) they will provide on maintaining airflow and temp. When the outside temp is high 40s to low 50sF I see about a 3F measured rise from the ambient to intake temp, as seen by the ECU. When its in the 80s, I have seen as much as 19F without boost action, and upwards of 30F after a good 10 - 12PSI pull. My controls arrangement is ultimately going to be based on outside temp, the presence of boost (boost switch) and if I can figure it out, a 2 channel delta controller that will measure ambient vs intake and switch on over 10F delta. Right now I have the temp switch installed with a bulb in the intake tract and the press switch will be next. That could also be wired for alcohol injection, may do that project in the spring (financially mostly for the delay there).
The last relay will be a delay-off, that will keep the fans running for 5 min after the ignition deactivates, to purge the hot engine bay air out through the hood louvers I installed last month.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:48 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
I installed the VIP air intake today, and the extra sound is nice. I've never heard a turbo blow off valve before--it's pretty cool! I like the extra sound in the cabin, because the engine is too dang quiet.

I'll do an exhaust of of these days. Maybe next summer.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:25 AM
riff42
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
DoS CAI is the only real COLD air intake out there. Anything that pulls air from the engine compartment is not cold...
From what I have seen somewhere, there is not much of a temp difference when going faster than 20mph. I don't know the accuracy of this, but I have never really measured it. It would be a good thing to figure this out. I do agree that one needs to block the engine bay completely, but the air intake tube is right at the cone filter as well, providing cool air to that area. Will post when I can measure.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 PM
ispeedm3
Neutral
has anybody done a CAI and the forged motorsports bov system?

i am looking for a loud bov sound.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:15 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ispeedm3
has anybody done a CAI and the forged motorsports bov system?

i am looking for a loud bov sound.
Yeah, there's a thread here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-from-wmw.html

Old 12-02-2011, 02:06 PM
asaulo1
5th Gear
just a quick question, after the CAI install, has it thrown any codes, Check engine lights? Thanks.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
None what so ever on my side

Old 12-02-2011, 02:21 PM
threar
4th Gear
No codes on my ride either.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:40 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Nope!

Old 12-03-2011, 12:55 AM
countryman-s
4th Gear
the VIP intake is pretty expensive for how simple it is. imagine how much a sealed performance CAI would cost. i'm thinking well over $500.00. i like the bov sound!! i think a true CAI would make the motor as quiet as the stock intake. i may go VIP, but i'm holding out for as long as i can for any other options.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Tom W
2nd Gear
Nice to see someone else cut down their factory cover. I was super nervous about doing this first but it looks twice as good with the cover on as well.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:19 AM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
I have one of these on my 2009 MCS hardtop and love it.

http://ddmworks.com/mini/cooper_s/r56/engine/ris.html

I've used it since MOTD 2011 and just took it off last weekend to get the car ready for trade when my '12 CMS comes in (hopefully a few weeks). The ram air box under the bonnet really cleans up the engine bay (imho) and the spooling sound from the bov is sweet!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Tom W
2nd Gear
An idea for getting cold air into the CM filter is to use a filter like the Ractive one with the full heat shield. I had one on my old Mekur XR4TI. Had this filter to the MAF then a 4"-2" adapter to a hose going down behind the bumper.

Our CMS already has the cold air plumbed right in just need a nice aluminum 180 bend, hook one end to the cold air pipe and the other to the filter. Depending on the intake manifold clearance.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Air Intake Modifications