Let's talk about brakes....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 08:46 AM
Richard_rsp
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Let's talk about brakes....

So I have a 16' Cooper Hardtop F56 (non-s) and absolutely love everything.... but the brakes. While they appear to stop the car okay, they just don't have the solid (or even comfortable) feel that my 2013 Justa had. While I am not a newbie to cars (or MINIs) in general, this is really the first time that I have felt so strongly about needing better brakes. So how would you recommend to upgrade the Non-S F56 brakes?

The cheapest (and my preferred way) is through upgraded pads/rotors. While it appears EBC has some decent pads, I can't seem to find anything but stock rotors for the base model (plenty for the S or JCW, though). While I do not track the car, I do autocross (non-competitively), and it is my understanding that higher compound brakes will warp the stock rotors (correct?). So I am a bit nervous going with a higher compound (Red Stuff) without changing rotors.

I am also aware of the JCW Brake Kit. While this sounds awesome, its a bit expensive for my budget and also would require upgrading my 16" wheels to clear the brakes- not really feasible.

So are there any more options? Maybe a cheaper "Cooper S" upgrade or are the S models the same as my Cooper?

Anybody have any experience with F56 brakes?

Old 07-22-2016, 03:04 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard_rsp
So I have a 16' Cooper Hardtop F56 (non-s) and absolutely love everything.... but the brakes. While they appear to stop the car okay, they just don't have the solid (or even comfortable) feel that my 2013 Justa had. While I am not a newbie to cars (or MINIs) in general, this is really the first time that I have felt so strongly about needing better brakes. So how would you recommend to upgrade the Non-S F56 brakes?

The cheapest (and my preferred way) is through upgraded pads/rotors. While it appears EBC has some decent pads, I can't seem to find anything but stock rotors for the base model (plenty for the S or JCW, though). While I do not track the car, I do autocross (non-competitively), and it is my understanding that higher compound brakes will warp the stock rotors (correct?). So I am a bit nervous going with a higher compound (Red Stuff) without changing rotors.

I am also aware of the JCW Brake Kit. While this sounds awesome, its a bit expensive for my budget and also would require upgrading my 16" wheels to clear the brakes- not really feasible.

So are there any more options? Maybe a cheaper "Cooper S" upgrade or are the S models the same as my Cooper?

Anybody have any experience with F56 brakes?
You may wish to try the yellow pads listed here which are good for both street and track. Also, there is brake application guide here and some upgrade kits. Please let us know if we can help!

http://new.minimania.com/Search_Resu...0brake/default

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:55 PM
Richard_rsp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
You may wish to try the yellow pads listed here which are good for both street and track. Also, there is brake application guide here and some upgrade kits.
Thanks for the information and link. Do you really think I need to go up to the Yellowstuff? I have heard they can be noisy and since I don't really track the car (just occasional autocross), i figured that Redstuff would provide greater braking ability with still near stock livability.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:35 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Brake Upgrade

Originally Posted by Richard_rsp
Thanks for the information and link. Do you really think I need to go up to the Yellowstuff? I have heard they can be noisy and since I don't really track the car (just occasional autocross), i figured that Redstuff would provide greater braking ability with still near stock livability.
The yellow pad is the most aggressive EBC pad and may be the best for your application. As long as the rotor is new, there shouldn't be any warping issues.

However, you may want to consider getting your new rotors 'cryo treated' before installation. Cryo treatment will improve durability and extend life of the rotor. There are several companies that offer cryo treatment, but only on new rotors, and the cost is not too bad. Hope this helps!

Old 07-30-2016, 08:56 AM
Richard_rsp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
The yellow pad is the most aggressive EBC pad and may be the best for your application. As long as the rotor is new, there shouldn't be any warping issues.

However, you may want to consider getting your new rotors 'cryo treated' before installation. Cryo treatment will improve durability and extend life of the rotor. There are several companies that offer cryo treatment, but only on new rotors, and the cost is not too bad. Hope this helps!

Thanks! I hadn't thought about cryo treating... I will let you guys know when im ready to buy new brakes!

Old 09-10-2016, 07:35 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
So Mini Mania: I'm replacing my brakes on my 11 JCW with new rotors and cross drilled / slotted fronts. I don't track but drive fast. I heard the EBC redstuff pads were weak on cold use and I don't care about dust. Would rec the yellowstuff in that case and do they require a longer bed-in?

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2016, 04:40 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by malibujoey
So Mini Mania: I'm replacing my brakes on my 11 JCW with new rotors and cross drilled / slotted fronts. I don't track but drive fast. I heard the EBC redstuff pads were weak on cold use and I don't care about dust. Would rec the yellowstuff in that case and do they require a longer bed-in? Thanks!
You do know that an '11 is a second gen car and this is the third gen section.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:47 AM
daveag98
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey man how you doing? tried to reply to PM but it would not go through

Yellow is not good for the street and Red is not good for the track.

Red is good for low dust and good grip, but they can't take the heat of aggressive driving, like on the track, i cooked a set of pads in one day at the track,

Yellows have a ton of dust but have awesome grip, up to a certain temp, so below that temp, like street driving they are worthless.

Check out hawk pads, they are a good brake pad

HPS and HP plus are great all around, The HPS would do better double duty for your first time or two on the track but serve you really well on the steet, the HP plus would not last long on the track but would do you great on the street.

I use the hawk DTC-60's for the track and love them, only heard good things about the street pads but never used them myself.

My 2 cents which is worth about the same

Old 09-12-2016, 08:19 AM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
OK. Went through the myriad of options and removed the PM restriction. And replied via PM.

Saw your rec for HPS. Great man!

Ill check those out!

Originally Posted by daveag98
Hey man how you doing? tried to reply to PM but it would not go through

Yellow is not good for the street and Red is not good for the track.

Red is good for low dust and good grip, but they can't take the heat of aggressive driving, like on the track, i cooked a set of pads in one day at the track,

Yellows have a ton of dust but have awesome grip, up to a certain temp, so below that temp, like street driving they are worthless.

Check out hawk pads, they are a good brake pad

HPS and HP plus are great all around, The HPS would do better double duty for your first time or two on the track but serve you really well on the steet, the HP plus would not last long on the track but would do you great on the street.

I use the hawk DTC-60's for the track and love them, only heard good things about the street pads but never used them myself.

My 2 cents which is worth about the same

Old 09-12-2016, 04:22 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Brakes

Originally Posted by malibujoey
So Mini Mania: I'm replacing my brakes on my 11 JCW with new rotors and cross drilled / slotted fronts. I don't track but drive fast. I heard the EBC redstuff pads were weak on cold use and I don't care about dust. Would rec the yellowstuff in that case and do they require a longer bed-in?

Thanks!
Here's a great application guide for EBC so you can compare the yellow and red based on your driving needs:

http://new.minimania.com/Mini_Cooper...lication_Guide

The reds do take longer to bed in. Also, check out the Carbotech Street Performance Pads:

http://new.minimania.com/Mini_Cooper...lication_Guide