Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

Brake Pad Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 11:00 AM
daviday
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Brake Pad Options

So I did a search and didn't come up with a comparison thread. Considering the amount of miles motored collectively I found that a bit surprising. If I missed something feel free to bash.

I replaced my rear pads with oem about 6000 miles ago. My intentions are to replace the front pads with something different. Drive, get a feel and write a comparison. After some miles I will replace the lines with stainless and do the same. I may or may not flush the system after replacing the front pads. If you guys think this is a good idea please let me know. Part of me thinks it may be as it would be providing a good baseline, another part of me thinks that flushing the system only to drive a few thousands miles and do it again is bad for the environment and my wallet.

Coming from mostly BMWs I've had the opportunity to "feel" a number of different brake pads through the years. Unfortunately I don't remember the names and brands. It was more of a what are my options, prices, and your opinions. The two times I ran ceramic pads I hated the noise. The second time I convinced myself I didn't bed them properly and tried them again. I don't think they were the same brand, nor was it the same exact car but the noise was definitely still there. What I did appreciate was the initial bite. Rolling at a few miles per hour and literally tapping the pedal I could feel how sure they were.

I'm nearing the end of one full set of oem pads on Porky and so far am happy with the longevity and the braking is adequate considering the car has no power. Now it's time to explore what else I can put in there.

I guess the theme of the thread would be to write a detailed comparison of whatever you took out to whatever you put in. Basically outlining how the car is used, miles on each set, dust and climate or location. While I'm not an engineer and have no idea how the weather effects braking components the last aspect may be a moot point. Personally, I could careless about dust but for some that's a big concern when purchasing.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-14-2015, 11:19 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Flushing fluid isn't needed every time you change pads so I agree you are wasting money. I switched to Akebono ceramic pads both front and rear, don't have any noise that my human ears can hear. The one time when my life was on the line in a panic stop they did the job and that is what I care about. Low dust as well.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:36 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Akebonos are nice, but I like the new brembo ceramics better, also cost almost half as much. Waymotorworks sells fhem.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:14 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
OEM's really aren't bad, but lots of sticky dust.
Hawk HPS have much lest dust but felt a little numb to me, especially in the cold.
They do work fine if you stomp on them, though.
CoolCarbon pads are intermediate in dust compared to the two above, and
have a great feel. Good cold bite but not grabby and easy to modulate and very
fade-resistant.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:10 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
I've run oem, EBC green, and EBC red. The reds are my favorite, low dust, good bite, and I haven't noticed any fade, though I have only ever tracked with OEM pads which I don't recommend.

I also agree with waiting to bleed til you replace your lines.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:07 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 756 Likes on 618 Posts
You only need to change the brake fluid every 2yrs unless you are racing or tracking then it needs it every 6months.

As for pads we've sold and installed every brand you can name. After using them all we found the EBC reds to work best for our customers so that is what we use for every brake job we do in the shop. We use to use the EBC Greens, but found the better bite and lower dust of the reds to be better.
Never had good luck with Hawks
Carbotechs are good but not worth $$ for a street car

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-17-2015, 07:04 AM
daviday
3rd Gear
Thanks for the opinions so far fellas. Figure I have another ~500 miles or so before I'll need a sensor also. Will update this thread when I do them. Not sure where I'm going yet.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:12 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
+1 for the HPS pads. They're a really good all-round street performance pad; good bite, good longevity, low dust.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:06 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I like the Hawk Ceramic Performance Brake Pads as a good street pad as they have low dust and noise. The HPS and HP plus tend to be a little noisier.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-17-2016, 07:34 PM
daviday
3rd Gear
Little update; apparently there was a lot more life on these things than I had originally thought. Still about 6-7mm from the backing plate as of last weekend. Maybe I'll repaint the calipers this weekend.

Another question; Has anyone rebuilt their calipers? Looks as if only the fronts on the r50 can be rebuilt and it's only the gasket on the piston.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:47 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by daviday
Little update; apparently there was a lot more life on these things than I had originally thought. Still about 6-7mm from the backing plate as of last weekend. Maybe I'll repaint the calipers this weekend.

Another question; Has anyone rebuilt their calipers? Looks as if only the fronts on the r50 can be rebuilt and it's only the gasket on the piston.
What year is your R50? Yes, MINI only has the dust seal and brake piston seal HERE, #14 below.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST