Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

choosing an ECU tuning house

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 09:55 PM
genik
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
choosing an ECU tuning house

When deciding to tuning the ECU of the mini, what should one keep in mind in order to select the best ECU tuning house? For example, for me, its a plus to be able to toggle between the stock and the tuning maps that have been programmed in the mini. What else should i be looking for?

Old 09-25-2015, 04:41 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by genik
When deciding to tuning the ECU of the mini, what should one keep in mind in order to select the best ECU tuning house? For example, for me, its a plus to be able to toggle between the stock and the tuning maps that have been programmed in the mini. What else should i be looking for?
You cannot "toggle" in a MINI....that's more of movie thing with a Honda...
That's something you would need a standalone ecu to do.
To switch you would need to plug a "tool" into the ecu, car off, and upload the software, each time, the ecu records a rewrite of software....

Old 09-25-2015, 05:24 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by genik
Manic offers something like what you want. You have to buy an SPS switcher dongle separate from the tune to switch between maps. You get the car tuned then with the car off but they key fob plugged in you plug the SPS into your OBDII port with the **** turned to the setting which corresponds with the desired ECU map. Wait a few seconds and remove the SPS and turn the car on.

When I got my Manic tune I just bought the SPS switcher at the shop. I can literally do it while stopped at a traffic light. Shut down, turn the **** to setting 2, plug in, remove, start up. Bam, I'm back to stock. Next light, same process with the **** on 5 and I'm making 200+ hp at the wheels again.

As far as having a button or a switch though mounted somewhere in the car or being able to switch it around with controls in the car, there is no such thing out right now.

EDIT: Just realized this is the non-S section. Not sure if Manic does tunes for the regular Cooper. But the point remains, you need a separate switcher to choose maps with these cars.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:02 PM
genik
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thebombardier
EDIT: Just realized this is the non-S section.
Good Lord, i just realised that too now! Im not asking this for a nonS. Can a moderator place this thread in the right place?

Old 09-25-2015, 02:25 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
You don't need to shut the car off to switch tunes with Manic. You can do it while driving. You could use a OBD extension cable and mount the SPS switch in the dash somewhere.

Not sure why you really want to switch maps all that often. I use the same map 99% of the time.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:46 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by cerenkov
You don't need to shut the car off to switch tunes with Manic. You can do it while driving. You could use a OBD extension cable and mount the SPS switch in the dash somewhere. Not sure why you really want to switch maps all that often. I use the same map 99% of the time.
Exactly, I don't change maps often, but when I do, I can do it while I'm driving at 80mph, in just a little coordination

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp