Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

Adding a Turbo to 2011 Mini Cooper (non S)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:00 AM
JD Wagner
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding a Turbo to 2011 Mini Cooper (non S)

I have been searching online and on the forums for anyone that has converted a Non S MINI to a MINI with a Turbo and I have come up empty handed. All I see are people saying things like "If you want a MINI with a Turbo, you should've bought an S" and "For what a turbo costs, it's not worth it".

First off, I bought a Non-S MINI with the plan on adding a bigger Turbo than what comes in the MINI S and also it was a really good price.

Second, if you think a Turbo that takes a MINI's bhp from 160 to 300 won't make a difference, you shouldn't even own a car.

So, I want to know if anyone has added a turbo to their MINI Non-S and what all that needs to be upgraded/added? Obviously the basics like adding an intercooler, changing the entire exhaust, changing the air intake, but what else?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:03 AM
selder
2nd Gear
I think that you'd also want to change the engine...just sayin'...

The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (01-01-2021)
Old 04-03-2012, 07:32 AM
CKeffer
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will need a tuning solution, and I'm not sure one exists ATM for 2011+ Mini's

Old 04-03-2012, 07:57 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you should have researched this project before you bought the car. Almost no one adds forced induction, even with the first gen, because it is going to be a huge nightmare and cost much more than the factory turbo charged options. I think some people on the UK mini boards have done turbo R50's, that might be a better place to seek advice.

The following 2 users liked this post by dannyhavok:
930 Engineering (01-01-2021), craig streetzel (12-29-2020)
Old 04-03-2012, 08:01 AM
CKeffer
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Sounds like you should have researched this project before you bought the car. Almost no one adds forced induction, even with the first gen, because it is going to be a huge nightmare and cost much more than the factory turbo charged options. I think some people on the UK mini boards have done turbo R50's, that might be a better place to seek advice.
Pretty much this, turboing a car that doesn't come with one involves more than simply strapping a turbo to the engine. Not saying it can't be done, just that it's not a job someone should undertake without thoroughly researching everything involved.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:21 AM
JD Wagner
2nd Gear
I like how so many people on here just say that it is impractical. I am a Mechanical Engineer and have been a race engineer for an Indy Car team.

Imagine this, I have an endless supply of money. I don't want to buy a new engine, I want to adapt my current one to be able to handle a turbo. Any ideas of what I need to change?

I am also currently looking for part lists to compare between the Cooper and Cooper S. I can't imagine there are many parts that are different.

Ericulk (09-10-2020)
Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You obviously know nothing as you made a huge purchase without having your facts straight. Find much on the WEB*?

but please do post your plans so we can all get a little wiser since you seem to know something that no one else does

Originally Posted by JD Wagner
I have been searching online and on the forums for anyone that has converted a Non S MINI to a MINI with a Turbo and I have come up empty handed. All I see are people saying things like "If you want a MINI with a Turbo, you should've bought an S" and "For what a turbo costs, it's not worth it".

First off, I bought a Non-S MINI with the plan on adding a bigger Turbo than what comes in the MINI S and also it was a really good price.

Second, if you think a Turbo that takes a MINI's bhp from 160 to 300 won't make a difference, you shouldn't even own a car.

So, I want to know if anyone has added a turbo to their MINI Non-S and what all that needs to be upgraded/added? Obviously the basics like adding an intercooler, changing the entire exhaust, changing the air intake, but what else?

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 04-03-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:28 AM
murdoc
3rd Gear
Pretty much you would need to change the entire engine, well except for the bare block. That is about the only thing that is the same between the non-S and the S. You would need different pistons, crank, cam, valves, computer, and that is just off of the top of my head. The other stuff like exhaust and intake that you mentioned too. Honestly to do it right, and not have the motor grenade on you 500 miles down the road, is going to be really pricy. The non turbo engines aren't designed to have the extra boost and cylinder pressures on top of the higher compression ratio. The two engines don't even have the same compression ratio, the base engine has a 11-1 IIRC, and the S has around 10.5-1 or somewhere in that range. You'd blow the engine to bits if you just slap a turbo on it.

Last edited by murdoc; 04-03-2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Correcting the compression ratio.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 AM
CKeffer
3rd Gear
Exhaust manifold with proper flange for the turbo you will be using, tuning solution, upgraded fuel injectors, intercooler and piping, oil lines for the turbo, and some other miscellaneous items, and that's just the bolt on items, not the parts you are likely to need for the engine itself. if all you want is a list, there you are.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Dr.Fox
3rd Gear
How about drivetrain? The Justa clutch can't be strong enough to hold 40% more power...

It would cost you less up front, let alone in the long run, to just sell your car and buy an S. That's why they made both models.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cooper s is 10.5 :1 LOL YOU CHANGED IT BEFORE I GOT TO YOU! NOOOOOOO! I know what you did lol!

murdoc has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Adding a Turbo to 2011 Mini Cooper (non S) - in the Cooper (non S) forum of North American Motoring.

This thread is located at:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-non-s/227724-adding-a-turbo-to-2011-mini-cooper-non-s-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Pretty much you would need to change the entire engine, well except for the bare block. That is about the only thing that is the same between the non-S and the S. You would need different pistons, crank, cam, valves, computer, and that is just off of the top of my head. The other stuff like exhaust and intake that you mentioned too. Honestly to do it right, and not have the motor grenade on you 500 miles down the road, is going to be really pricy. The non turbo engines aren't designed to have the extra boost and cylinder pressures on top of the higher compression ratio. The two engines don't even have the same compression ratio, the base engine has a 10-1 IIRC, and the S has around 8.5-1 or somewhere in that range. You'd blow the engine to bits if you just slap a turbo on it.

Originally Posted by murdoc
Pretty much you would need to change the entire engine, well except for the bare block. That is about the only thing that is the same between the non-S and the S. You would need different pistons, crank, cam, valves, computer, and that is just off of the top of my head. The other stuff like exhaust and intake that you mentioned too. Honestly to do it right, and not have the motor grenade on you 500 miles down the road, is going to be really pricy. The non turbo engines aren't designed to have the extra boost and cylinder pressures on top of the higher compression ratio. The two engines don't even have the same compression ratio, the base engine has a 11-1 IIRC, and the S has around 10.5-1 or somewhere in that range. You'd blow the engine to bits if you just slap a turbo on it.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:51 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, since most people aren't foolhardy millionaires, there isn't a lot of information or experience with this setup. I guess you'll be on the cutting edge... good luck.

I like how so many people on here just say that it is impractical. I am a Mechanical Engineer and have been a race engineer for an Indy Car team.

Imagine this, I have an endless supply of money. I don't want to buy a new engine, I want to adapt my current one to be able to handle a turbo. Any ideas of what I need to change?

I am also currently looking for part lists to compare between the Cooper and Cooper S. I can't imagine there are many parts that are different.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:02 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The S internals can hardly stay together with the stock turbo, can't imagine how quickly a justa would blow with a turbo on it.

Ok Mr Mechanical engineer...for someone who is a race engineer for a Indy team I would think you would realize what is involved. But as a start, you'll need a fully built motor. Pistons, rods, bearings, probably crank, head, valves, cam to suit. You're looking at $10k right there. I'd bet the stock fueling on a Cooper also isn't up to snuff...you'd have to upgrade all that (most likely with all custom made stuff because no one mods cooper's).

So let's assume you get the motor built....

Good chance it won't run for crap. Seeing as you have an 11, your ECU must be removed and bench tuned. Trying to dyno tune it will take days. Even after that, I'd be willing to bet it still won't run right because the ECU will try to fight everything you've done to the car. You will need a stand-alone to run it properly...and at the moment pretty sure there isn't one available.

So in the end, you've spent endless amounts of money and have a car that doesn't work right, and probably is still slow to boot. So again, it IS impractical. Why not just start with an S or JCW? Or even better, an R53....

Old 04-03-2012, 10:01 AM
JambaJuice
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am by no means an expert on turbo charging a N/A car but have owned several Evos and an STi...In reality a lot can be done with enough money to do so...but for the justa I think you are asking for major problems if the supporting upgrades are not properly done...

But hey if you got the time, money, and knowledge I would love to see the build progress on the forum...

Old 04-03-2012, 10:04 AM
JD Wagner
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JambaJuice
I am by no means an expert on turbo charging a N/A car but have owned several Evos and an STi...In reality a lot can be done with enough money to do so...but for the justa I think you are asking for major problems if the supporting upgrades are not properly done...

But hey if you got the time, money, and knowledge I would love to see the build progress on the forum...
Thank you JambaJuice. It seems everyone on her just bashes an idea for something that hasn't been done. People need to take the stick's out of their *** and support each other. I was told when I bought my MINI that it was like a family. So far, haven't seen much love.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:10 AM
JambaJuice
1st Gear
I think what everyone is saying is that it is much more practical to start with an S or JCW platform...that way you have something that was engineered to have a turbo to begin with...

Dont take what they say to heart...they do know a lot of about Mini's and a lot of what has been posted is true...if a turbo upgrade was feasible I think the market may have followed suit and made one available...

I remember back in the day turbo charging a civic was considered a big deal...things have seriously changed since then...

At any rate good luck on your build...

Old 04-03-2012, 10:18 AM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thank you JambaJuice. It seems everyone on her just bashes an idea for something that hasn't been done. People need to take the stick's out of their *** and support each other. I was told when I bought my MINI that it was like a family. So far, haven't seen much love.
Seems like people have gotten way over their heads and let their ego get in the way of their manners on this forum post. No need to be like that. Some people on this thread know a lot about MINIs that not everyone knows, sweet- good for you. Doesn't give you the right to be an *** about it at all. JD- promise you, people are generally very nice on this forum with helping me out when I have questions (which I have too many of... )

Good luck with your build, if you do end up doing it. Be sure to keep the site posted, I love a good build thread.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:27 AM
JD Wagner
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RedAndBlackMiniS
Seems like people have gotten way over their heads and let their ego get in the way of their manners on this forum post. No need to be like that. Some people on this thread know a lot about MINIs that not everyone knows, sweet- good for you. Doesn't give you the right to be an *** about it at all. JD- promise you, people are generally very nice on this forum with helping me out when I have questions (which I have too many of... )

Good luck with your build, if you do end up doing it. Be sure to keep the site posted, I love a good build thread.
I hear yea. I'm sorry if I'm acting like an ***(not the only one) but I get aggravated when people just look straight to the negatives and don't give ideas a shot.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JambaJuice
I think what everyone is saying is that it is much more practical to start with an S or JCW platform...that way you have something that was engineered to have a turbo to begin with...

Dont take what they say to heart...they do know a lot of about Mini's and a lot of what has been posted is true...if a turbo upgrade was feasible I think the market may have followed suit and made one available...

I remember back in the day turbo charging a civic was considered a big deal...things have seriously changed since then...

At any rate good luck on your build...
That is true and open minded advice.

Where longevity is concerned, you will want to start out with a lower static compression than the Cooper currently has. That means hogging out the chambers, or installing "S" pistons. I'm not going to repeat what you've been told countless times. I'm just saying that there is a reason they say what they do. But by god you can certainly build a car that will smoke a stock S (figuratively, and in time literally) with a bolt on turbo. I am not an expert, but I spent 7 years working for a US engine manufacturer catering to motorcycles. It can be done. But it won't last unless you build the engine to suit. And that includes static C/R, oiling, mains and rod strength, etc. And yes, it will be cheaper to sell your Justa wholesale, and buy an S, bolt on a bigger turbo, and get a tune. But you don't need to. If you want to build your car to smoke a JCW, you can do it. Just takes money.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:44 AM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blackbomber

Where longevity is concerned, you will want to start out with a lower static compression than the Cooper currently has. That means hogging out the chambers, or installing "S" pistons. I'm not going to repeat what you've been told countless times. I'm just saying that there is a reason they say what they do. But by god you can certainly build a car that will smoke a stock S (figuratively, and in time literally) with a bolt on turbo. I am not an expert, but I spent 7 years working for a US engine manufacturer catering to motorcycles. It can be done. But it won't last unless you build the engine to suit. And that includes static C/R, oiling, mains and rod strength, etc. And yes, it will be cheaper to sell your Justa wholesale, and buy an S, bolt on a bigger turbo, and get a tune. But you don't need to. If you want to build your car to smoke a JCW, you can do it. Just takes money.
^ +1

/thread.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:51 AM
CKeffer
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Blackbomber

Pretty much what every one was getting at, though definitely stated much more clearly and diplomatically.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:38 AM
murdoc
3rd Gear
Didn't think I was looking at the negative, you asked what else would be needed, I told you what I could think of that would be needed. I'm not saying to not do it or that it will be a miserable failure. You could take the time to pull the engine, install and upgrade as required, plop the engine back in and have a "sleeper" non-S. It could go off without a hitch. I think what we are trying to make you aware of is that there is that negative there. If you are willing to work through all of it and give it hell, by all means fire away. But first and foremost, you need to compare the differences in the engines. All the way down to the bits and bobs that are unique to the S or the base. If you have the time, and are willing to spend the coin, more power to ya, but when you hit an obstacle, don't forget we are trying to help. It might come across as being 'negative Nancy' but with a major undertaking like this there is going to a lot of bumps in the road for this one. From personal experience, step one in any major project is to know the negatives. Only rules that matter are these: What a man can do and what a man can't do. What you can do is build the engine right, what you can't do is slap a turbo on the front and call it good. Savvy?

In the end it is your MINI, do what you wish. But be prepared for an uphill battle in the dark. I say in the dark, since no one that I know of has undertaken it. Be a pioneer, keep us posted, but in the end, Motor On!

Old 04-03-2012, 01:07 PM
36rodder
3rd Gear
Go for it, anything is possible. There a video out there with a guy who stuffed a blown V8 in his MINI. Compared to that, putting a turbo on a justa should be a walk in the park. But like others stated before, it will take a lot of work, engineering and money because it not just bolting a turbo on and going motoring. Like the first guys that turbo'd their Honda Civic's years ago, someone has to be the first one to make it work, OH! I forgot MINI already has.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:18 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
I never venture into the 2nd Gen realm as I have no need. I am a 2nd Gen hater. But, I was alerted to post in this awesome thread. Your claims of being a Mechanical Engineer and working with an IndyCar team are highly suspect especially when you are asking the silly questions you are. You come in here wanting advice and when people give you it, you get all butt hurt. There is a reason people don't turbo Coopers (R50/R56). I have been talking about doing so since 2004 and have been laughed at a few times by friends but money has been tight. To do it right, you are looking at about $10-20k for a complete motor/trans/fuel build with turbo/standalone setup that can push 600hp. Yes, you CAN turbo the Cooper stock but you will only be able to build such low psi you would only net 50hp before the engine is taxed to a point where it pops. Same as on the R50. As a mecahnical engineer you should already know all this and what is involved. Any 15 year old can name off the 4 basic parts to a FI'd vehicle. If you DON'T....you have no business trying to boost a vehicle in the first place as you are a liability to yourself and others around you. If you don't find the information you seek, use some of the ME skillz and R&D the stuff yourself. An engine is an engine. Stuffing a SC'd V8 in a Mini is a lot different than slapping a turbo to it. For one, you can convert to a throttle cable and don't have to mess with the electronics and short falls as much with the V8. But, you should also know this. We aren't telling you anything you shouldn't already know. Does all this sound harsh? Maybe. Some of us have been around the Mini scene since it started and know a little bit. You asked for advice and got it. You say you searched the forum and found nothing....well, its all over the 1st Gen side. Search for the exhausted topic in there. As for the Mini love you seek...you found it. If there was no love....you would have had ZERO responses and let you twiddle your thumbs til they fell off....Good luck.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:31 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by UKSUV
I never venture into the 2nd Gen realm as I have no need. I am a 2nd Gen hater. But, I was alerted to post in this awesome thread. Your claims of being a Mechanical Engineer and working with an IndyCar team are highly suspect especially when you are asking the silly questions you are. You come in here wanting advice and when people give you it, you get all butt hurt. There is a reason people don't turbo Coopers (R50/R56). I have been talking about doing so since 2004 and have been laughed at a few times by friends but money has been tight. To do it right, you are looking at about $10-20k for a complete motor/trans/fuel build with turbo/standalone setup that can push 600hp. Yes, you CAN turbo the Cooper stock but you will only be able to build such low psi you would only net 50hp before the engine is taxed to a point where it pops. Same as on the R50. As a mecahnical engineer you should already know all this and what is involved. Any 15 year old can name off the 4 basic parts to a FI'd vehicle. If you DON'T....you have no business trying to boost a vehicle in the first place as you are a liability to yourself and others around you. If you don't find the information you seek, use some of the ME skillz and R&D the stuff yourself. An engine is an engine. Stuffing a SC'd V8 in a Mini is a lot different than slapping a turbo to it. For one, you can convert to a throttle cable and don't have to mess with the electronics and short falls as much with the V8. But, you should also know this. We aren't telling you anything you shouldn't already know. Does all this sound harsh? Maybe. Some of us have been around the Mini scene since it started and know a little bit. You asked for advice and got it. You say you searched the forum and found nothing....well, its all over the 1st Gen side. Search for the exhausted topic in there. As for the Mini love you seek...you found it. If there was no love....you would have had ZERO responses and let you twiddle your thumbs til they fell off....Good luck.
This guy gets it ^^^

I love when someone comes and asks questions and gets answers, but complains about the answers.

Last edited by ThumperMCS; 04-04-2012 at 09:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThumperMCS:
930 Engineering (01-01-2021), craig streetzel (01-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Adding a Turbo to 2011 Mini Cooper (non S)