MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > Modifications > Cooper (non S)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 05:57 AM
1st Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Flexible CAI like AIRVIP 2?

This might be a little crazy, please let me know what you guys think. So instead of getting an AirVIP2 ($149) I was thinking of using something like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

It is only $ 24.95, Will it work?

Link to the ebay product

R56 Pepper-White on White
Old 01-18-2012, 06:34 AM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drewstermalloy
Gallery
That's not crazy, it's smart. I did the same thing on my MC. Although you can pick up that tube for about $20 at Pepboys/AutoZone.

If you want to make it a little nicer you can have an exhaust shop bend you a tube, there's no reason it should cost $120+ from VIP.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:55 AM
1st Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy View Post
That's not crazy, it's smart. I did the same thing on my MC. Although you can pick up that tube for about $20 at Pepboys/AutoZone.

If you want to make it a little nicer you can have an exhaust shop bend you a tube, there's no reason it should cost $120+ from VIP.
Cool, Thanks! Will check my local Pepboy/Autozone.

R56 Pepper-White on White
Old 01-19-2012, 09:03 AM
5th Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
No reason the flex tube wouldn't work as well as the VIP tube. I made one out a pre-manufactured exhaust elbow sourced off eBay but it was a lot of work to get everything to fit just right (you can see the finished product in my gallery). I removed it after several months and switched bac to stock because I didn't like the extra noise.
2010 MC (pure silver), JCW grill, Wipac stainless driving lights, Union Jack mirrors, DIY front and rear oem fog lights, Cooper S fuel cap, Union Jack scuttles, Helix short shifter, FES Auto Sport, NM torque arm, Alta 22mm rear sway.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:50 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Did any of yo get the flexible tube? I would like to know how it works out for ya.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:17 AM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
Whst you guys are making are called a HAI...HOT AIR INTAKE....
it actually improves throttle response a bit on many cars....sometimes a slight gain in mpg...
Install it in a ducted box...it becomes a cai...cold air intake...
Old 02-09-2014, 10:29 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
I thought the OP wanted to replace the black tube and squarish box with one flexi pipe? If the pipe still pulls air from the small hole next to the driver's side head light, then the part of air is still cold (whereas warm air can flow from above the engine into the filter if the intake box is open.) Mine is mixed.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:29 AM