Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

[HELP] Forged Pistons in alternative to OEM Mahle

Old 03-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Fabiop
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[HELP] Forged Pistons in alternative to OEM Mahle

Hello,

I own a Countryman (R60) and I know I'm not exactly on the correct place in the forum, but since the R60 share the same pistons than the R55/R56/R57 NON S (realoem reference here)and there are more owners of R55, R56 and R57 than R60 thought you guys could help me. I really need a help here.

I've open a post there in the Countryman forum: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...errerid=108550

However I replicate my problem here:

I have a 2011 Countryman Justa Cooper ( NON S ). I regret not having bought the turbo one... but now I have a NON S...

He suffered some minor modifications (intake , ECU remap , sport button , etc. ... ) that led him to 168hp .

Last week I lost 3 of my engine pistons in an error during an adjustment on the engine from my mechanic . When he took apart my engine it found that the pistons (MAHLE - Mini part number 11257589348) are terrible . I venture to say that the pistons are lowest quality I've ever seen in my life.

In a conversation with him I decided to get forged alternatiavas market . The problem is that I only find forged pistons for the S model, which are slightly different from mine.

The compression ratio of my engine is 11.0:1 while the Cooper S is 10.5:1, as I know. The difference is small and does not worry me , but it seems the pin Cooper is 18mm while the Cooper S has 20mm, besides other slightly differences. That's correct?

Do you know if it is possible to adapt these pistons in the NON S (N16) engine? Has anyone ever seen forged pistons for the NON S?

Do not bother with small adjustments, even rework the piston, because my mechanic is very experienced - with years preparing race engines - and able to do it.

Finally, I explain that I do not run (track or street) with the car . I am a father. But as I drive every day on the highway and I seek a more reliable car to make evasive maneuvers in traffic. The 122hp from the NON S was kiling me.

I would love a help because my car is disassembled awaiting parts and now I'm Miniless.

Thank you ,

Old 03-01-2014, 10:11 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
The lower compression pistions will get you less hp....
Generally, folks looking for long life should go with stock pistons...
The alloy differences used in forged alloy pistons result in different expansion rates...can result in piston slap...and sometimes premature failure.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:17 AM
Fabiop
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
The lower compression pistions will get you less hp....
Generally, folks looking for long life should go with stock pistons...
The alloy differences used in forged alloy pistons result in different expansion rates...can result in piston slap...and sometimes premature failure.
Thank you ZippyHN!

I know that lower compression will give lower hp, but I can handle it. But I didn't know about premature failure.

But I'm looking for the non s forged piston. Exactly like the own. Do you have any idea if it exists?

Regards,

Last edited by Fabiop; 03-02-2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:41 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Fabiop

I have a 2011 Countryman Justa Cooper ( NON S ). I regret not having bought the turbo one... but now I have a NON S...

He suffered some minor modifications (intake , ECU remap , sport button , etc. ... ) that led him to 168hp .

Last week I lost 3 of my engine pistons in an error during an adjustment on the engine from my mechanic . When he took apart my engine it found that the pistons (MAHLE - Mini part number 11257589348) are terrible . I venture to say that the pistons are lowest quality I've ever seen in my life.

ECU Remap on an N16 ? Good luck with that.

Mechanic messes with something he has no experience with, gets in over his head, blows up engine and blames the engine design...lol.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:18 AM
Fabiop
1st Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
ECU Remap on an N16 ? Good luck with that.

Mechanic messes with something he has no experience with, gets in over his head, blows up engine and blames the engine design...lol.
I already have my ecu remapped for almost 2 year and no problem at all. Actually a have better mpg than before.

He messed up the engine on a test, nothing to do with the ecu remaping. And he is paying for all the parts that messed up.

Last edited by Fabiop; 03-02-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
No one i know makes them. But get me a piston and i can have a local shop make what you need. We have a local Piston Maker that could duplicate it for you in a better materiel with OEM compression. Not sure how long it would take tho...

Old 03-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Fabiop
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Detroit Tuned
No one i know makes them. But get me a piston and i can have a local shop make what you need. We have a local Piston Maker that could duplicate it for you in a better materiel with OEM compression. Not sure how long it would take tho...
Detroit Tuned,

Can you check the lead time to this?

Regards,

Old 03-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
i would make a guess 3-4 weeks

Old 03-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Fabiop
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Detroit Tuned
i would make a guess 3-4 weeks
Maybe it's a good idea. It's your shop? If it is, send me a pm...

The problem about 3-4 weeks of course is that my car will be stopped for that long.

If anyone knows a stock solution, please help me. I don't want to go with the non reliable oem ones.

regards,

Old 03-03-2014, 05:08 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Fabiop
If anyone knows a stock solution, please help me. I don't want to go with the non reliable oem ones.
They're perfectly reliable in OEM form if your mechanic doesn't go breaking stuff.

I would just source some OEM replacements and call it a day. You said it yourself you're not looking for more power so why fix something that isn't broke? Just find a different mechanic next time.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:23 AM
Fabiop
1st Gear
Originally Posted by v10climber
They're perfectly reliable in OEM form if your mechanic doesn't go breaking stuff.

I would just source some OEM replacements and call it a day. You said it yourself you're not looking for more power so why fix something that isn't broke? Just find a different mechanic next time.
You are right, but the justas has a know problem with a weak piston when you force it too much. Just a small search on the forum I found about 5 or 6 threads about 50k miles and broken pistons.

Since my engine is disassembled right now, and I need to buy new pistons I thought that's the right time to search pot better ones.

But I really couldn't find it. I think I'll order the oem today.

Regards

Old 03-03-2014, 08:47 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Now would definitely be the time for piston upgrades but unfortunately there just isn't a lot of aftermarket support for the mini.

Besides... I thought all Brazilians drove 800whp VWs

Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Fabiop
1st Gear
Originally Posted by v10climber
Now would definitely be the time for piston upgrades but unfortunately there just isn't a lot of aftermarket support for the mini.

Besides... I thought all Brazilians drove 800whp VWs
Yes, it would...

By the way, I never drove a VW...