Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

CVT to 6 Speed Getrag Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 03:39 PM
matthew1619
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CVT to 6 Speed Getrag Swap

I am about to embark into the world of Mini Cooper. I build Porsche and BMW, so my 16 year old daughter decided that she wanted a Mini - I bought an 03 with a catastrophic CVT - I think they came off the line that way - LOL. I have purchased a 6 speed Getrag and everything else that I could possibly imagine to do the swap. Nothing like learning by jumping in!!!! I am hoping that there might be some advice out there. I found a link from TexasMotorWerx (i think) and the link is broken. Any advice outside of convincing me not to do it....cause - I'm doing it!!!!!! I will probably video document the event and post it to my website so that it can be a perpetual resource. Look forward to this forum and I look forward to any info that you might have..
Blessing!

Old 03-20-2011, 04:58 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Hang tight...I know someone that has done this and can help you! I'll see if I can drag him into this thread. But it's been done, and more than once.

FWIW, my 06 w/CVT died after 3 years. Good call to not just put another CVT in...you'd be back in this same place soon enough.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:01 PM
matthew1619
1st Gear
Awesome - Any help that I can get will be MUCH appreciated!!!!

Blessings

Old 03-20-2011, 05:03 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
No problem! In the meantime, take a peek through this thread - it might jog some thoughts of other things you might need. IIRC, the biggest issue with auto-to-manual is the electronics.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ll-how-to.html

Last edited by MLPearson79; 03-20-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:30 PM
matthew1619
1st Gear
I thought about that - I have the Manual ECM, the Ignition, and the original key - the only thing that I dont have is a harness. I was thinking that there might be a way to use the CVT transmission sensor and trick the ECM with voltage. I read through the thread - thanks!! Seems like there should be some Veterans out there!!! That is good news..

Blessings,

Old 03-31-2011, 10:15 AM
matthew1619
1st Gear
Will receive the flywheel today and I will get started this weekend. Was hoping that someone might have a thought on the sensors for the auto trans... I think that there might be a way to trick the sensor with voltage so that the comupter thinks that the auto is still there and operating. If thats the case, then no electrical changes have to be made...Thoughts??

Old 03-31-2011, 01:45 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by matthew1619
Will receive the flywheel today and I will get started this weekend. Was hoping that someone might have a thought on the sensors for the auto trans... I think that there might be a way to trick the sensor with voltage so that the comupter thinks that the auto is still there and operating. If thats the case, then no electrical changes have to be made...Thoughts??
This is just my butt talking, so it is a guess...the computer changes timing and everything based on the shift points so I don't think you can just fool it, you may however be able to have it flashed so it works with a manual. It may be everything is the same except the software.

Hopefully you will be more reliable info soon. HRM's butt, signing off.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:50 PM
matthew1619
1st Gear
Nice!!! I have the manual ecm and all the periphials, but I was thinking of trying it to narrow down one more piece for those who will do this going forward. Good call on the shift point though!

Old 03-31-2011, 03:55 PM
Mysticeti
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm no hope at all with this sort of thing but I'd love to see pictures of the process.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:18 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
I am about to embark into the world of Mini Cooper. I build Porsche and BMW, so my 16 year old daughter decided that she wanted a Mini - I bought an 03 with a catastrophic CVT - I think they came off the line that way - LOL. I have purchased a 6 speed Getrag and everything else that I could possibly imagine to do the swap.
I have no words of help for you but I will say you are doing the Lord's work removing one more CVT from the face of the earth.

Bury it deep and mourn not its passing (or rather sheer lack of ability to do so).

Old 03-31-2011, 06:24 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry I can't offer you technical assistance, but removing one more CVT from the planet is a very good thing!

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (06-26-2019)
Old 03-31-2011, 06:57 PM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
CVT:

Sad that something so interesting on paper turns out to be such an unfortunate train wreck in reality...

Old 04-01-2011, 07:34 AM
matthew1619
1st Gear
The cvt is a golfcart transmission - thats what amazes me...I am going to document the whole thing and post it to my website. I'll keep everyone posted. By the way, I just sold the core to a transmission shop for $350.00 - so the old saying one mans junk is another mans treasure is the truth in this situation..Blessings!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:02 AM
kgelner
4th Gear
When I went to test drive a Juke, I found the only automatic it had for the all-wheel drive (don't think they even have a manual on the AWD?) was the CVT. That killed it for me right there, in the test drive it felt exactly like the old MINI CVT.

The salesman had a funny plan, he had me go to the bottom of a hill and then floor it. While that might have been a great way to show off performance normally, all it did was show exactly how non-responsive the CVT was. It felt like forever before the car decided to actually move, like a great many hamsters were working to wind up a million rubber-bands, and then the gradual force of all the rubber bands straining together finally got the car moving.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:44 PM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The cvt is a golfcart transmission - thats what amazes me...I am going to document the whole thing and post it to my website. I'll keep everyone posted. By the way, I just sold the core to a transmission shop for $350.00 - so the old saying one mans junk is another mans treasure is the truth in this situation..Blessings!
What is odd is that the technology goes back to the mid-50s when DAF in Holland started to build prototypes and then cars for retail. Over the years, a number of manufacturers have built cars with CVTs. So the question is, why isn't the technology further along than it is?

Old 05-30-2011, 03:01 PM
matthew1619
1st Gear
CVT to 6 Speed Getrag Successfully swapped

Well this weekend I removed the CVT from a 2003 Mini and installed a 2005 Getrag 6 speed. Everything is done and back together. I have not however installed the manual wiring harness. Does anyone have any intel on how to get the motor to turn over and start without changing out the ECM and harness? For the record, the swap is easy!!! The car is built to have either transmission so all the mounts and holes are all there. I will post a list of everything that you need to do the swap. Its not a long list of parts. I have a lift and thats helpful, but if you are comfortable taking cars apart, this is not as hard as you would expect. There was no fabrication - everything bolted on.
I know that I can buy the new harness and have the ECM flashed, but if there is a way around it, it would make it that much easier. Let me know what you think.

Tommy
www.snyderdavissmith.com

The following users liked this post:
SunBird (10-20-2019)
Old 06-04-2011, 12:31 PM
matthew1619
1st Gear
OK - with everything bolted up and ready to go, with the advice of Densmini, I spliced the two wires that are black with yellow stripes that come out of the silver box to the left of the clutch pedal. Wahlah! the motor fired and everything is a go. Now I will buy a manual ecm and have it flashed to my key/VIN. Thanks for everyone's help on this.

www.alpengt.com

Old 06-04-2011, 12:35 PM
russmini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlander_48
What is odd is that the technology goes back to the mid-50s when DAF in Holland started to build prototypes and then cars for retail. Over the years, a number of manufacturers have built cars with CVTs. So the question is, why isn't the technology further along than it is?
I remember taking a test drive in a DAF with my dad in the 50's. We both thought it was an amazing transmission, but didn't want to buy one.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:30 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
OK - with everything bolted up and ready to go, with the advice of Densmini, I spliced the two wires that are black with yellow stripes that come out of the silver box to the left of the clutch pedal. Wahlah! the motor fired and everything is a go. Now I will buy a manual ecm and have it flashed to my key/VIN. Thanks for everyone's help on this.

www.alpengt.com
You can't just buy a Manual ECU and flash it with your VIN. You need to either convert ALL the ECUS in your car to a set from another car, With this option your computers will keep the vin and codes from the car that you take them from. Or have your ECU reprogrammed to be a Manual trans. But the dealer can't do that, you need someone like us that can change the coding.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following 2 users liked this post by WayMotorWorks:
bugeye1031 (06-10-2019), SunBird (10-20-2019)
Old 06-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Densmini
3rd Gear
What's a ballpark rate for the latter job?

Old 06-06-2011, 05:30 AM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
You can't just buy a Manual ECU and flash it with your VIN. You need to either convert ALL the ECUS in your car to a set from another car, With this option your computers will keep the vin and codes from the car that you take them from. Or have your ECU reprogrammed to be a Manual trans. But the dealer can't do that, you need someone like us that can change the coding.

Right, The DME needs the matching EWS, so the passcodes are correct and the EWS needs the matching key, so their passcodes match and the key needs the matching Ignition lock cylinder, so it can turn. If you don't have them all used from the same car, it's a no go. Also, you need to have the title or car registered to you to be able to ever get replacement parts if the originals fail

Old 06-10-2011, 09:12 PM
matthew1619
1st Gear
Bled Clutch and Brakes tonight - fired it up and drove it from my shop to the house!!!! With the Auto ECM in the car, I jumped the two black/yellow striped wires in the silver box to the left of the clutch pedal. Car starts after these are jumped. The check engine soon light is on, but everything is operational. My question now is, can milivolts be used on the auto harness to trick it into believing everything is ok. There is no need to flash this ECM - it has full RPM range through all six gears and there is nothing happening that would lead me to believe that you cant trick the sensor plug. Thought??? So - 2003 with a catastrophic CVT swapped with a Getrag 6 Speed and the work although it is a transmission swap was not as bad as you would think. Everything bolts up like factory and Mini Coopers are designed to be built both ways so all the brackets and mounts are already in place. Just make sure that you have all the parts that you need - and all the bolts that are required - you will not find replacement engine bolts anywhere locally except a dealer. I will post a parts list of what it required to do the swap soon.
Blessings,
Tommy
www.snyderdavissmith.com

Old 06-11-2011, 06:43 AM
Densmini
3rd Gear
Tommy- the only potential gremlin is the EWS...it might, over time, decide that it doesn't like not getting a signal from the CVT (hence the EP message on your speedo and the check engine light) and go out of synch with the DME (ECU), resulting in a crank-but-no-start condition. This will require resetting the EWS, a dealer thing, I'm afraid.
It may not happen at all, but the inconvenient possibility is there. The long term fix is the Manual DME. Does your cruise control work? Mine does not. Baz

Old 06-11-2011, 05:33 PM
fleazilla
2nd Gear
just trying to follow this post

Just trying to subscribe to this post! this is interesting...

Old 06-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Rchrome
1st Gear
I think I'll do this mod when I'll definitely destroy my gears, really interested

you have all my moral support!

Quick Reply: CVT to 6 Speed Getrag Swap