Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

Your MC (non-S) exhaust reference thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:05 AM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your MC (non-S) exhaust reference thread

I know a few of you attempted to establish MC exhaust reference threads in the past. Unfortunately, none of them stuck around near the top of the forum. But we really need a thread like the MCS version that's been running for years, so here ya go.

I'll gradually post everything I can get my hands on here in post #1. You can post whatever you like and any time you post (or pm) new info that fits, I'll copy it into this first post so the basic stuff is easy to find right up front, and stays up to date (hopefully). Any time I get something wrong, please let me know!!! You'll also see a lot of place holders for information I haven't found yet -- help me fill in these blanks. It will take me a while to fill this out -- please be patient.

Anyone new to the game may not realize there are some exhaust-related differences among the first generation non-S models, so I'll start with some general model and model year info. I plan to include info on some of the exhausts that are no longer sold, since they come up in the marketplace, eBay, etc, once in a while -- some of these are good systems and sought after, but some are off the market for good reasons.....

General model year info

The non-S MINI Cooper, MINI One and MINI One D (Diesel), were all designated as R50s, while the S was given the product code R53. For some reason, all MINI convertibles (S and non-S) are R52s.....go figure.

There were a number of changes made throughout the gen1 model year production run (which ended with the '06 models), but I think the only change that affected the exhaust came along with the "face lift" in July '04, when the rear hangers were altered (turned 90 degrees, I think). I understand the convertible (which also debuted in July '04, right?) has a slightly different exhaust configuration, and with some (all?) aftermarket systems you may have to specify "convertible" to get the one that fits -- you vert owners need to be careful about what you buy.

OEM/Stock Exhaust
I imagine some of you who are just starting to think about mods don't know what your stock exhaust looks like yet. Here's a diagram from realoem.com -- if you haven't found realoem yet, it's definitely worth a visit <click here>.
Review: n/a
Price: ________
Description: Other than the tip it's not much to look at, but for most of us, if it's under the car and never seen unless it's on a lift, who cares? The bulk of the system is all in one piece from the manifold to the tip. The original tip looks like the bottom of a Coke can -- MINI offers a replacement tip.
Pipe diameter: 2" (I haven't had one for over 5 years, so I'm going on memory -- is this right? Anyone...?)
Weight: ~29 lbs
Video/audio: n/a

Billy Boat
Review:
Price: ?
Description: Stainless - 2 sections w/ a slip joint.....other details elude me. I'm starting to think this one is disappearing.....it won't be the first. It's no longer listed on the Bavarian Autosport site (where I once found the pic below) and though B&B still have a pic of it on their website, they don't list it as available. If you find it (or any additional info) somewhere, please let me know.
Pipe diameter: ?
Weight: ?
Video/audio:

pic lifted (obviously) from Bavarian Auto - hope they don't mind

Borla
Review: _______
Price: $668 (msrp)
Description: Stainless, 3 sections w/ slip joints, muffler and resonator, 4" double-walled slash cut tip
Pipe diameter: _______
Weight: 34.5 lbs (can anyone confirm this?)
Video/audio:

Here's a video clip.

DUZ

Price: No idea, but I bet it's the most expensive MC exhaust available.....but, like the Saclam, you have to get it here from Japan.....
Description: Like the Saclam, I've never heard of anyone actually having one of these for an MC and I don't know ANYthing about them other than what you can see in the pics, but it's interesting and different (go ahead, tell me it ain't!), so here's a pic.
Weight: _______
Video/audio:

Eisenmann
Price: There are 3 options, each with different pricing -- see description and pics for explanation.
$769 (msrp, fits as stock, direct bolt-on replacement)
$1045 (msrp, central system with twin, center exit tips)
$1068 (msrp, central system with 2 split (not center exit) tips)
Description: This one is not a catback, it's closer to an axle-back. It won't replace the entire stock system.....only the rear section. You cut your stock exhaust pipe, slip this one over the end of the mid-pipe section, and clamp it on. Since you use the front part of the stock exhaust -- which has a resonator -- this system has a resonator. There are 3 different versions. All are stainless. The simplest (and cheapest) version is a direct bolt-on replacement for the stocker, with an 83mm tip (don't know what it looks like - haven't found a pic yet). The other 2 are both straight-through central units with a mufflers that fit into space currently shared by your spare wheel (if you have one) and stock exhaust can. You also have to mount an additional hanger bracket, but it appears to use existing bolt holes (see the installation pdf). These 2 central units come in either a twin center exit (w/ 2 single-walled, angle cut, 70mm tips) or dual, split tips in the same size but straight cut. Also remember that if you plan to use a center-exit or dual exit exhaust, you'll have to do something about your rear bumper apron..... One more complication: according to Eisenmann, all 3 of these come in either "Sport" or "Race," which affects flow (Race flows better), performance (better flow means better numbers) and sound (Race is louder, naturally).
Pipe diameter: stock (I assume)
Video/audio:

Here's an installation pdf - I'm afraid it's in German, but the pictures aren't!

There's a stationary YouTube clip here

Hamann
Price: $837 (for the version shown in the smaller pic below, from Bavarian Motorsport)
Description: The Hamann systems appear to be axle-back (cut your stock main pipe and clamp the Hamann exhaust to the stock mid-pipe). There are 4 versions.....I'll try to describe them, but some of this is guess work until someone chimes in with better info. I think they are all straight-through systems that run down the centerline and require you to remove your spare wheel (if you have one) and probably attach another hanger mount. 2 versions look like the pic below with 2 twin single-walled straight cut 70mm tips that exit the rear apron on the passenger side like the stock system (though it looks like you have to trim the apron a bit to make them fit). I think one of these 2 has raised lettering on the tips. The next version has the same type of tips but they're split, with 1 exiting from each side of the rear apron (again, requiring trimming of the apron). The description of the last version says it comes with "4 raised stainless steel tailpipes (70mm)" -- I think that's 2 tips left and 2 tips right.....probably.
Pipe diameter: stock (I think)
Video/audio:

Helix
Review: I haven't found any reviews, but there's a short write-up by Helix in the NAM Reviews section (here) and I commented on it in my own review of the R Speed exhaust (here)
Price: n/a (no longer offered)
Description: All stainless, 3 sections connected by slip joints, includes a resonator, straight cut double walled 3" (?) tip
Video/audio:

JCW Sound Kit
Review: Here's a short review on MotoringFile
Price: $1100 (msrp)
Description: This one is a kit, not just an exhaust - includes catback, intake mod, ECU remap and JCW badges - the intake remains closed like the stocker so no increase in sound at the front of the car, but it includes something I think is called a "sound pipe" to carry some sound from the intake to (and through?) the firewall - the exhaust is stainless, 2 sections connected by a slip joint and clamp, and includes a resonator, plus a dual-walled slash cut 3" (?) tip. The bottom pic below shows the JCW exhaust next to the stocker.
Pipe diameter: stock (I assume)
Video/audio:

And a video clip here
Here's another

Larini
Price: $550 (I try to stick to msrp, but can't find it for this one and I can only find it offered by one online vendor at this time, so this is their list price as of 2 Sep 08.)
Description: Stainless, 2 sections w/ slip joint, strap hanger for muffler allows some adjustment for fitment. Single-walled, straight cut tip -- unusual in my experience as it's angled up slightly and has an outward rolled lip -- bulk of tip is 3.5"; 4" max at the end due to the outward rolled lip.
Pipe diameter: 2" (same as stock)
Video/audio:

Magnaflow
Price: $610 (msrp)
Description: Stainless, 2 sections, slip joint, resonator included, straight cut 4" tip
Pipe diameter: 2.25"
Weight: 25 lbs (?)
Video/audio:

YouTube vids 1 2 3

Megan
Review: There are a few here in the NAM Reviews section.
Price: $380 (msrp)
Description: Here's a little-known fact about the Megan for those of you who missed it. The guy from Megan who put it together came on NAM and asked us what we wanted in a catback exhaust. He even took our suggestions! As you might imagine, there was plenty of cooperation.....imagine a manufacturer actually asking us how we would like something built! Then he found a NAM member willing to volunteer his MC for prototyping and test fitting. Looks like the collaborative process worked -- folks seem to like it.....or maybe it's the relatively low price.....probably both. Anyway, it's all stainless, 2 sections joined by flanges, muffler and bullet resonator, slant/slash cut 3.5" single-walled tip.
Pipe diameter: 2.25"
Weight: 31 lbs
Video/audio:

Stationary video clip here

I ran out of space in this post, so please scroll down to my next post (see post #4) for page 2.

Last edited by kurvhugr; 09-30-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:43 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Thanks for starting this and I hope it sticks too.

Here is a link to much more detail about the Megan System and a sound clip too. Feel free to use the sound clip anyway that helps.
http://www.autoxcooper.com/megan.html

I can also get the Borla and Magnaflow systems if you want them, please send me a PM for pricing.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:52 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool thread!

Old 08-25-2008, 06:20 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
continued from post #1

Milltek
Price: $699 (msrp?)
Description: Stainless, 3 sections with slip joints, includes a resonator, double-walled tip that apparently comes in more than one shape ("Meteor" and "Special" according to the Milltek website, though I don't know which is which -- compare the first pic to the others)
Pipe diameter: 2.13"
Weight: 27 lbs
Video/audio:

Drive-by vid of a MINI One with a Milltek - sounds great, though I think at least some of what you hear is from an open intake
stationary clip here, and here's another of the same MC -- stationary clip from inside

Minspeed (previously MyMini)
Price: $450
Description: Stainless -- 2 sections w/ slip fit joint -- can be ordered with or witout a resonator in the mid-pipe -- angle cut, resonated, oval tip (3.5" x 3"). If you check them on the website you'll see "Choose from a resonated front pipe or straight front pipe for a little more bark!" and "Get one before they're gone!" The owner says he's unlikely to restock when he runs through current inventory primarily because R50 products don't sell well. He also reports that he is out of resonated mid-pipes.
Pipe diameter: 2" (same as stock)
Weight: 26 lbs (non-resonated version)
Video/audio:

Stationary vid clip of "Sport" version (I think that means the non-resonator version) here

Mini Mania
Review:
Price:
Description:
Pipe diameter:
Weight:
Video/audio:

PlayMINI
Review:
Price:
Description:
Pipe diameter:
Weight:
Video/audio:

Youtube vid
and one of MINI One w/ a PlayMINI
and another
and one more

OBX
Review:
Price:
Description:
Pipe diameter:
Weight:
Video/audio:

Stationary vid clip here

Quicksilver
Price: _______
Description: Comes in 2 versions. The "Sports" system is pictured below and fits as a direct bolt-on replacement for stock. The "Super Sports" version is a straight-through system that exits the center of the rear apron (need to switch to the S apron or accommodate it some other way) and requires removal of the spare (if you have one) and addition of at least one more hanger mount (I assume, haven't seen one yet). Stainless, 2 sections w/ slip fit joint, no resonators, double-walled straight cut inward-rolled 3.5" tip.

Quicksilver claim the following sound levels (A=stock, B= Sports, C=Super Sports)

900rpm --- A 72dB -- B 74dB -- C 75dB
3000rpm -- A 81dB -- B 84dB -- C 90dB
5000rpm -- A 92dB -- B 96dB -- C 99dB

Weight: 17.6 lbs (Sports) and 15.4 lbs (Super Sports) -- I have a hard time believing these weights, but they came directly from Quicksilver
Video/audio:

Remus (1-sided)
Review: Motoringfile review.
Price: $601 (I think that's msrp)
Description: This is an axle-back system. You cut your stock muffler off, leaving the remainder of the front of your stock system as a mid-pipe. Then you attach this axle-back Remus system to it using a slip joint and clamp. It's all stainless (I think) and, since it's just an axle-back, it's a single section. Oval tip 3.82" x 3.15".
Pipe diameter: same as stock
Video/audio:

Some good info in the installation discussion here

Stationary video clips here and here

Remus (2-sided)
Review: Here's a good review at MotoringFile (complete with sound clips!).
Price: $1,187 (msrp?)
Description: Repeating from the 1-sided version above, this is an axle-back system. You cut your stock muffler off, leaving the remainder of the front of your stock system as a mid-pipe. Then you attach this axle-back Remus system to it using a slip joint and clamp. It's all stainless (I think) and, since it's just an axle-back, it's a single section. However, in order to fit the driver side part, you need to lose your spare tire/wheel and hanger plus modify the heat shield. You also have to add another hanger bracket and cut the rear skirt to accomodate the second tip. Tips are round 3.15" each.
Pipe diameter: same as stock
Weight:
Video/audio:

Rogue
Review:
Price:
Description:
Pipe diameter:
Weight:
Video/audio:

RSpeed
Review: The only review I can find is my own, posted in the NAM Reviews section (here)
Price: n/a (no longer offered)
Description: All stainless, 2 sections w/ flanges, includes a resonator, tip is double-walled and looks a lot like the stock Coke/beer can tip, no "R Speed" markings anywhere (just says MINI on the tip, very stealthy)
Weight: 24 lbs
Video/audio:

Here's a video clip - it's not mine, it's produced by R Speed.....hope they don't mind I posted it - enjoy the cheesy music

Saclam
Price: I can't find a price, but I'm betting this one costs many dollars.....if you can get it here from Japan.....
Description: Ok, this one's just for fun. I've never heard of anyone actually having one of these for an MC and I don't know ANYthing about them other than what you can see in the pics.....just can't resist posting. FWIW, you can find Saclam for the MCS discussed somewhere in the MCS exhaust thread.....if that helps.
Video/audio:

Scorpion
Price: _______
Description: _______
Video/audio:

pic lifted (obviously) from Bavarian Auto - hope they don't mind

Supersprint
Review: Here's a MotoringFile review
Price: There's a lot of variability in price on Supersprint kit, depending on how much you want of what ..... I'll try to explain. In addition, I've not seen another brand where street prices are so different than msrp; I often see Supersprint street prices at half of msrp.

Price for a full system (side exit, including the round tip as seen in the first pic below) varies depending on whether you get the mid-pipe with a resonator (~$1100 msrp) or without a resonator (~$900 msrp).

You can buy the muffler section by itself and, I assume, cut your stock pipe and attach the Supersprint muffler section to your stock midpipe with a slipjoint and clamp. The side exit muffler section (which includes the round tip) is ~$720 (msrp). There's also a center exit version at ~$630 (msrp). The only center exit version I've found (the $639 msrp version) comes with a plain exit pipe and you have to buy a tip separately. Unfortunately, the tips look pretty expensive to me with msrp in the $350-420 range.

I'm sure there are other options, this is just a sampling.

Description: All stainless, 2 section catback systems or axle-back muffler sections with slipjoint and clamp attachment to your cut stock midpipe, many tip options for the versions that come without them. Like other center exit systems, you have to remove your spare tire/wheel, etc.

There's a good installation section on ProMINI's site here (don't miss the button at the top of the page for an inside the car sound clip).
Pipe diameter: Looks like stock diameter.
Video/audio:

There's a vid clip (stationary) of a center exit version here.

Others: Blue Flame, Magnex, Powertone

Last edited by kurvhugr; 10-10-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:31 AM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
spare post.....in case I run out of space in the other posts

Last edited by kurvhugr; 09-27-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:38 PM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad someone finally did this! Great job! When I get closer to buying my OBX cat-back, I will post up some info on it!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:33 AM
jabell2r
Coordinator :: M2C2
Thanks for posting such great info. I have been searching for a list like this for a while now.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:54 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
My Milltek weighed 27#, vs. 29# for the stock system
(doesn't include manifold, header).

Here's where I orignally posted this, coincidentally, at post #27.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t=45116&page=2

Old 09-08-2008, 01:10 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cristo
My Milltek weighed 27#, vs. 29# for the stock system
(doesn't include manifold, header).

Here's where I orignally posted this, coincidentally, at post #27.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t=45116&page=2
Thanks. I knew I'd seen that post somewhere but I lost track of it. I'm trying to pull info from older NAM posts since there's already a lot of good info here but just not consolidated.

So, a year and a half later, anything new to share about your Milltek experience? Still like it?

Old 09-08-2008, 04:11 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Still like the Milltek just fine. Looks great compared to stock, sounds nice,
and not loud, just a nice tone when you stomp on it, and being stainless
steel, it's holding up very well, as it should.

I guess would have gotten the R-Speed if I could have, but it was discontinued before I
was ready to buy an exhaust.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:45 PM
R50 Paul
4th Gear
Great to have this as a sticky! I got a video of my Miltek in action. I'll PM it to you use it if you'd like.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:14 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Good stuff.
Thanks for the clips Paul -- I'll load them up.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:36 AM
nickbmw
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ι think the Supersprint with the center exit should be also listed, and i have uploaded a sound clip also.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:27 AM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nickbmw
Ι think the Supersprint with the center exit should be also listed, and i have uploaded a sound clip also.
Good, I didn't know Supersprint had a center exit verion. Do you have details about the system (of the sort I've been posting for others)? Also, where can I find that sound clip? thanks

Old 09-26-2008, 08:35 AM
nickbmw
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have this exhaust, it is mentioned as autox exhaust, it can be combined with the center str8 pipe or with the center resonator of Supersprint, 50mm pipe diameter, the spare wheel has to be removed in order to install it. My sound clip is here, and soon i 'll upload more! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD5SHRKJn1w Also: http://www.promini.com/technical/ins...it_exhaust.php

Old 09-26-2008, 08:50 AM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
I read through the installation article at Promini and was going to say they have to be joking about the 35 lb weight savings. Then I read the line again and the light finally came on. You not only replace the stock exhaust with a lighter system, you also lose the weight of the spare wheel/tire, its mounting hardware, and heat shielding. The same thing must apply to all the center exit systems and I'll get around to updating their descriptions soon.

Thanks also for the sound clip.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:13 PM
ig109
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
has anyone used the eisenmann dual exhaust split tip system? How far apart are they center to center.. Im trying to figure out how to make this happen.. I really want duals on the car but am not wanting something that sounds like a honda with a can..

Old 11-01-2009, 06:52 PM
tito h
Neutral
thanks for the info

Old 01-17-2010, 10:36 PM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
of those catbacks, which do you recommend for an 02 MC? Which gives most performance for the lowest price? I've heard Megan is good but what are some other options? By the way, the Borla, althought nice, is too pricey - if that helps.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:25 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ig109
has anyone used the eisenmann dual exhaust split tip system? How far apart are they center to center.. Im trying to figure out how to make this happen.. I really want duals on the car but am not wanting something that sounds like a honda with a can..
I'm sorry I haven't been back to this thread for so long and missed your question. It hasn't made any difference though because I also can't answer your question directly since I don't know anyone who has the split Eisenmann. If you want a dual system you might like the Remus. Again, I don't know anyone with the split dual version but the Remus systems all seem to be great quality and sound great as well. You might find some clips on YouTube.

Originally Posted by MiniMe02
of those catbacks, which do you recommend for an 02 MC? Which gives most performance for the lowest price? I've heard Megan is good but what are some other options? By the way, the Borla, althought nice, is too pricey - if that helps.
If you're looking for performance from a catback alone you're probably going to be disappointed. All the manufacturers claim gains but the truth is they don't do much. If you decide to rework other things like head, cam, header, then you'd probably get more out of the added benefit from a catback as part of the overall system...regardless of which exhaust you pick. The primary benefit for the MC is better sound and the enjoyment that comes with it, and there's a lot more variability in sound quality and quantity than there is in power and torque gain. I'm on my fifth or sixth catback (I also have an '02 MC) and I think if I was going to buy one today I would probably go with the Megan...there's my 2 cents worth.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:50 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kurvhugr
... I think if I was going to buy one today I would probably go with the Megan ...
... or maybe a Remus ... dunno.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:47 AM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kurvhugr
I'm sorry I haven't been back to this thread for so long and missed your question. It hasn't made any difference though because I also can't answer your question directly since I don't know anyone who has the split Eisenmann. If you want a dual system you might like the Remus. Again, I don't know anyone with the split dual version but the Remus systems all seem to be great quality and sound great as well. You might find some clips on YouTube.

If you're looking for performance from a catback alone you're probably going to be disappointed. All the manufacturers claim gains but the truth is they don't do much. If you decide to rework other things like head, cam, header, then you'd probably get more out of the added benefit from a catback as part of the overall system...regardless of which exhaust you pick. The primary benefit for the MC is better sound and the enjoyment that comes with it, and there's a lot more variability in sound quality and quantity than there is in power and torque gain. I'm on my fifth or sixth catback (I also have an '02 MC) and I think if I was going to buy one today I would probably go with the Megan...there's my 2 cents worth.
Yeah, I wasn't expecting much for performance. I knew sound was gonna be added but hopefully some throttle response? I've heard the megan in person and it sounds nice. My stock exhaust is rusting out and it would be nice to have a SS catback

If I decide to keep the R50 and not go for an R53 or R56, I deffinately wanna do head work (P&P, valves, cam) + header. Be pretty sweet to have a muscled R50. I'd get more satisfaction from having a 150-160 BHP R50 than a 200whp "S"
Unfortunatley, if I do all that, I'd have to get the 6speed swap...

Zippy, how is your midlands holding up?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:07 PM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
Called IE today and they said their catback for the R53 will also fit the R50. I don't see it but I'll take his word for it. Anyone here have it or have heard it in person? I checked a few clips on youtube but the only 2 I found for MINIs were Ss so the supercharger whine swallowed any exhaust notes...
It is about the same price as Megan, I think $40 cheaper and it isn't as loud and has a "deep, baritone" note to it according to IE.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:06 PM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
The Megan looks like the best out of all of them.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:59 PM
blong808
1st Gear
is it possible to convert my exhaust on my mini non-s to the centered exhaust like the cooper s, are the rear bumper valences inter-changeable, someone give me some advice, thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Your MC (non-S) exhaust reference thread