Cooper (non-S) Modifying a Just a Cooper

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Camden Blues
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Modifying a Just a Cooper

COOPER MODS

Looking for mods for a Just a Cooper I checked out this section to find that... nobody had posted a thread?

Maybe it is because those who want more power opt for a Cooper S or a John Cooper Works, and those who are less sensitive to performance choose a One or a better equipped Cooper?

Since somebody has to prime the pump, here's my best attempt at suggesting some easy cost-effective mods for Mini's NATURALS, the Naturally Aspirated Cooper.

First, may I suggest that those with a Mini One verify if they don't actually have a 120hp engine without knowing it? Given that this is what my salesman said, who works not at a dealership but directly for the Mini Subsidiary. He said the engine is identical to the Cooper, except for it being 'bridled' by the car's computer programming. If this turns out to be true, the greatest bang for the buck mod of any Mini would be reprogramming a Mini ONE's computer to turn it into a Mini Cooper with a performance tune!

From what I've figured out reading the threads and talking to people is that while a 120hp Cooper might benefit from a tune, just as any car would, this might not be as marked as some other mods which would solve areas where there is more to gain than with a slight boost in computer engine management. Here's a few as a suggestion.

One might be a better intake to help the engine breath better. While I've put stainless headers and pass through high performance Catalytic Converters on other cars where the exhaust output is poorly served by the original stock exhaust, this doesn't seem to be very useful with a Mini given that BMW already provided a fairly efficient exhaust for most of the current models. However, this may not be the case when it comes to air intake.

It took some time coming, but today there exists a Cold Air Intake specifically designed for the base Cooper, most of the other ones are dedicated to the Turbo S and JCW models. It seems well built, and although not cheap its price is justified by its quality materials, fabrication, and appearance.

LINK: DDM Works Intake

* Please note that I am not affiliated with any manufacturer or vendor, nor have I tried any of the products suggested here.

There is another product which is one which sounds appealing but it might turn out either to be a very cool unit or else something which makes wild claims boasting of improved performance but accomplishing only a reduction in the size of your wallet. However, I still think I may be tempted to try it out given that it sort of offers to slightly boost our intake like a turbo but without going so far as to require substantially different mixture or causing the type of engine stress which has brought Cooper S and JCW owners a certain amount of strife once their warranty ends. It might even work well with the above Cold Air Intake or with another less expensive one.

LINK: Ramcharger

* Please note that I am not affiliated with any manufacturer or vendor, nor have I tried any of the products suggested here.

There is also one more mod which some say is quite useful not because it adds horsepower to your car but because it improves your access to this horsepower. I wouldn't necessarily believe this to be true, but I did notice how tuning a car's computer can vastly change your driving experience after buying a Mustang GT and wanting to take it back until a performance tune made it responsive to my commands, something Ford had failed to do on purpose to dissuade drivers from tanking their engines while under warranty.

The reason I think that this will help the naturally aspirated Cooper is because there is good reason to expect that the Cooper's engine which was programmed to deliver less horsepower on the one to preserve Market Appeal for the Cooper, may have been programmed to deliver less of a surge on the Cooper to retain demand for a turbo Cooper S. This might also explain why the Cooper delivers a good bit more power only at higher engine speeds, possibly preventing the throttle butterfly from fully opening until the revs get high enough? This would also reduce wear and tear during the break in period as many wouldn't feel the urge to drive a car that is feeling a little slow to respond or sluggish.

LINK: SprintBooster Drive by Wire Booster

This may or may not work, many say it is marketing hype or something already integrated into Car Computer Reprogramming Tunes, but a number of drivers of Minis and other cars say that it makes their car feel a lot more responsive and fun to drive. The principle is that it makes your acceleration signal instantly transmitted without the car constructor preprogrammed lag, and it also ensures that the butterfly opens exactly when and as much as you command it to, theoretically making the car a more instinctive extension of yourself.

It could be a hoax product or a little know genuine workaround of what many car makers do to prevent us from pushing cars too hard? I still await for someone to post that they tried it on theirs and took advantage of the 30 day money back guarantee to get a refund. This one is a longshot, but I've poured thousands into car mods so its price isn't scaring me yet, until I hear what others think

So much for now, with more possibilities to be posted as time permits. Those with experience either with these products, or with improving the Just a Cooper's performance, please feel free to weigh in with your advice!

The One and the Cooper may just be the best Mini models to mod, needing more to reveal their potential, being less prone to 'grenading', and not being plagued with the same inherent weaknesses due to overboost stress on smaller displacement turbocharged engines.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:37 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are lots of threads on this topic. The CAI and exhaust seem to be the most popular mods for the "Justa," along with a stiffer rear sway bar. The Sprint Booster has been discussed to death, and there are a few camps. Some love it, some think it's overpriced, some feel it makes the car too squirrely, etc. Most who have it seem to like it.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Camden Blues
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Misplaced Thread...

Hi DannyHavoc,

Thanks for your reply. From what I just noticed, I had gotten lost... like a typical newbie, and posted in the Countryman section without noticing it. No wonder that there weren't any mod posts in this section yet, people are still getting to know their cars in stock form. Sorry. So I'll scout around in the threads and find those about the regular hatch Minis...

Mods, this post could be moved to wherever appropriate as required. Thx.