R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Roof Rails

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 11:45 AM
srahaim
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I've an order in for Week 37 with the roof rails for delivery in mid October. Hope they're not bluffing about the availability. If they're not available, I'll push my production week back. For me the roof rails are a critical element of this car. (I've seen the OEM racks installed and they're not for me.)

Old 08-07-2008, 11:17 AM
k3imibbg
1st Gear
Roof Rails

Maybe I missed this, maybe not. As my MCC is exiting the 'birth canal' today, I'm starting to care a bit more about some things.

The moment the Roof Rails hit the 2009 configurator a lot of us that had a Clubman on order for 2008 have been muttering under our collective breath about not having this option for the 2008 models. I even considered giving up my 2008 to make sure of a 2009. (I still can do that).

The part I don't understand is the statement from someone that the Roof Rails would not be available as part of a retrofit.

If the Roof Rails are indeed available on the 2009 Clubbies, then they are a part number,right? A part number that can be ordered and installed by a dealer?

What part of this am I missing?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:23 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Depending on the design, maybe hard points which to affix the rails. It also could simply be a decision to avoid a potentially ugly retrofit.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:26 AM
wampa
3rd Gear
I don't see any spots on my Clubby for fit. They have GOT to be made onto the roof somehow, because my roof just has the solid "fins" on top. No mount of any kind, and the 2009 rails in the configurator look made right into the roof.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 AM
zeddy
2nd Gear
See this thread for more Clubman roof rail discussion:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ighlight=rails

They will just run the rails parallel to the dunes/ridges/fins on the roof. Imagine if there is a sunroof the space between the side of the sunroof and the dunes--is where they'd go. I suspect they will be bolted onto the roof, you don't need to see attachment points on the top of the roof--if no rails than no holes drilled so nothing to see.
As for why no retrofit--as mentioned lack of anchor (on underside of roof) to strengthened attachment point; and much easier to attach before headliner installed.
To retrofit-- install tracks, instead of rails, which can be purchased from Yakima and which their Control Towers (not Q towers) and landing pads attach. Less visibly obtrusive than rails I think.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:49 AM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
Yakima states below that the Clubman can not be fitted...

We apologize, but we don't have a rack fit for your vehicle. Our Fit Technicians have scratched their heads over this and they don't easily admit defeat, but unfortunately your car is "unYakable". If you believe that you have received this message in error - please use the back button and make sure that you have entered your vehicle and all of its modifications correctly. Questions? Call Yakima Customer Service at 888.925.0703 (M-F, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. PST).

Old 08-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Otra
6th Gear
The roof rails are a factory installation only. If you want 'em, you'd better change your order to a 2009. For information, if you haven't been completely addicted to the never ending Roof Rack thread, start here http://www.mini2.com/forum/future-va...i-aaron-7.html on page 7 of "Official MINI latest news by DPMINI Aaron" on MINI2, featuring guest appearances by schatzy, myself and ItsNumptyBoy. It will give you a very good overview.

Last edited by Otra; 08-07-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Otra
6th Gear
For anyone who hasn't already read this thread on MINI2 http://www.mini2.com/forum/future-va...i-aaron-7.html starting on page 7, it does go into quite a few details on the roof rails, and the never ending base roof rack issue, as well.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Perhaps one of NAM's wonderful Moderators will merge these two Roof Rail threads?

Thanks zeddy for supplying the link to the original one.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:09 PM
eyevin68
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Otra
For anyone who hasn't already read this thread on MINI2 http://www.mini2.com/forum/future-va...i-aaron-7.html starting on page 7, it does go into quite a few details on the roof rails, and the never ending base roof rack issue, as well.
Otra, thanks for that. my MA had told me after i order my JCW R55 that the roof rails were not yet available during production. Supposedly they will be released sometime in the fall. don't know what to do ......... do i wait for rails, which might not even be released or should i go for the rear spoiler?? decisions , decisions

Old 08-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Otra
6th Gear
eyevin68, I don't know when you ordered your MINI but if you want roof rails, you'd better have a serious conversation with your MA and if he doesn't give you a satisfactory answer then go to the Manager. Get the bottom line on it and make it clear what you want. Accept nothing but the exact car you want to order.

According to my dealership, with the MA with whom I've dealt since 2003, a MINI Clubman that is ordered to be produced in and delivered in October with factory installed roof rails will be delivered to the USA with said roof rails.

If you want to, call ASK MINI and be very specific about your questions.

You don't know me...and although I know a number of posters on this board in real life, one can't help but feel one gets to know members from their posts. However, as helpful as some of us try to be - we are not going to be there when you take delivery of your MINI, so it's imperative that you make your order exactly the way you want it to be and be prepared not to accept the MINI if it's not exactly what you ordered.

Keep us posted!

Old 08-07-2008, 05:02 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
eyevin68, I don't know when you ordered your MINI but if you want roof rails, you'd better have a serious conversation with your MA and if he doesn't give you a satisfactory answer then go to the Manager. Get the bottom line on it and make it clear what you want. Accept nothing but the exact car you want to order.

According to my dealership, with the MA with whom I've dealt since 2003, a MINI Clubman that is ordered to be produced in and delivered in October with factory installed roof rails will be delivered to the USA with said roof rails.

You don't know me...and although I know a number of posters on this board in real life, one can't help but feel one gets to know members from their posts. However, as helpful as some of us try to be - we are not going to be there when you take delivery of your MINI, so it's imperative that you make your order exactly the way you want it to be and be prepared not to accept the MINI if it's not exactly what you ordered.

Keep us posted!
I had a sit down with my MA today and the roof rails will be available but not right away on the first 09's coming thru. He expects late September to early October for them.

As for adding Roof Rails to an 08 it seems from what i have heard that the roof does not have the proper supports built in so it may not be possible to add them. That is going to be a wait and see item after the first ones come thru and somebody is willing to remove their head liner to see how they are mounted.

I saw a JCW today with a spoiler on it and from where it is mounted it looks to be mounted from the underside so taking the headliner down would need to be done to check it out. It looks as though the rails would not fit with the spoiler.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:17 PM
eyevin68
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra;2 412043

Keep us posted!
thanks Otra, believe me i'm taking delivery of the car i ordered, minus roof rails. your'e right though, wont substitute with rear spoiler, i really like the look and function of the rails. i'll just wait and pick up a pair and have the dealer install.

Originally Posted by schatzy62
I had a sit down with my MA today and the roof rails will be available but not right away on the first 09's coming thru. He expects late September to early October for them.

As for adding Roof Rails to an 08 it seems from what i have heard that the roof does not have the proper supports built in so it may not be possible to add them. That is going to be a wait and see item after the first ones come thru and somebody is willing to remove their head liner to see how they are mounted.

I saw a JCW today with a spoiler on it and from where it is mounted it looks to be mounted from the underside so taking the headliner down would need to be done to check it out. It looks as though the rails would not fit with the spoiler.
that's right, it's 1 or the other. i chose the rails. just looks clean.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:28 PM
zeddy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by eyevin68
thanks Otra, believe me i'm taking delivery of the car i ordered, minus roof rails. ..... i'll just wait and pick up a pair and have the dealer install.
Has the dealer told you that they can install a pair of roof rails after delivery?
I would think your car would also be minus the rail supports under the skin of the roof.
I'd get confirmation that it's a dealer and not factory install.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:56 PM
eyevin68
2nd Gear
good point. i'll have to check with my MA. yet another email to Oscar.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Otra
6th Gear
eyevin68, everything that's been written from people who either work for MINI or who've spoken with MINI goes against these rails being able to be installed after the fact. On the configurator everything before page 4 is factory installed. Tread carefully because if you want those roof rails, you'd better make sure your Clubman comes with them already installed.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:42 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
eyevin68, everything that's been written from people who either work for MINI or who've spoken with MINI goes against these rails being able to be installed after the fact. On the configurator everything before page 4 is factory installed. Tread carefully because if you want those roof rails, you'd better make sure your Clubman comes with them already installed.
I've heard this exact same thing from the MINI Parts guys. They told me that the roof rails were a factory install item only. MINIUSA told them that the roof needs to be laser etched so the rails can be properly mounted. Supposedly, not an after the fact addition. (But who knows, this may change later on).

Old 08-08-2008, 03:29 AM
eyevin68
2nd Gear
thanks fellas, i hear you. and i'm now waiting to hear from my MA.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Just have an aesthtics question about the rails (which I love btw). I'm wait listed for a Clubman (still deciding s or non s and the color) and believe that the rails will look great with a black roof, but what about on silver? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Will it tie the whole car together or be a big distraction...wish I could see some in person of course.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:27 AM
eyevin68
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Coopdy
Just have an aesthtics question about the rails (which I love btw). I'm wait listed for a Clubman (still deciding s or non s and the color) and believe that the rails will look great with a black roof, but what about on silver? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Will it tie the whole car together or be a big distraction...wish I could see some in person of course.
i think it would look great. Blk rails seem to tie the whole roof together (IMO). good luck on color decision, it took me forever to decide. drove the girlfriend and my kids nuts.
if you're leaning towards non s, i love the nightfire red. i believe it's the best color choice, sucks it's not offered for other models. good luck.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
Option 4

Originally Posted by zeddy
I guess my question is irrelevant at this point but am still curious to see whether people would have preferred the re-designed roof option to be: (1) the roof rails; (2) rack tracks--flush with roof rather than raised like the roof rails--e.g. use Yakima Landing Pads #1-5; or (3) permanent mounting sites--usually in covered track-like things --e.g. use Yakima landing pads #9.

For clarification look at the pdf for "Instructions" on http://www.yakima.com/racks/rack-sys...ding-pads.aspx

Personally, I think I'd go for option #2 above because the tracks are less obtrusive than the rails; and because you can choose where to position cross-bars as opposed to option #3.

What would others choose it they had the factory option of 1-3 above?
Im going with option 4 ordered my '09 with the roof rails and intend to use thule rack system on them. Both yakima and thule offer all sorts of clamps over the years for roof rails. The rails dont look any different design than whats been out there before and im sure if it dosent exist both companys will be making an adapter shortly. As far as installation on an '08 you would be drilling a hole in your roof and probably using a rubber gromit with a brass nut. (there is a potential for your roof rusting if its not done right) Usually the factory installation has welded in mounts at least thats what I was told by MA. Let you know how I make out when my clubman arrives in mid October.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Mr. Ray, sounds good to me.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:02 PM
k3imibbg
1st Gear
I was curious when I saw someone mention the track system (vs the roof rail system). Again, while I'm still waiting on Mini to release the rumored re-engineered roof rack someday maybe I sometimes think the rail system that is more flush with the roof could be a better overall solution than the 09 rail system.

However, I don't think anyone has been brave enough to go this route. Yes, it's a big world. You'd think someone Mini owner tried this method.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:58 PM
astroclub1
Neutral
does anyone know of any chrome aftermarket/oem rails on the market for the clubman, or are the only ones available the black factory ones?

Old 01-29-2009, 05:58 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by astroclub1
does anyone know of any chrome aftermarket/oem rails on the market for the clubman, or are the only ones available the black factory ones?
Please see this post https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...3-post108.html