R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Rack on Clubman - Issues??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 12:18 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MBX5
??? I got a ticket in NY the other day just out side Albany 86 in a 65 and had my 2 downhill bikes on top.
Ouch!

My tragedy was not that type. I almost lost my Cannondale mountain bike after a rapid deceleration from 80 down to about 30. My Thule Big Mouth let go and the bike fell over sideways. The wheel straps held though (phew!) so the bike did not fall off the car.

I will be getting a High Roller or King Cobra tray to carry that bike. The High Roller works for you, right?

Old 09-18-2008, 12:21 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Would it be correct to assume that this is the ...225 part number? I would be great if someone with the earlier piece could rendezvous with you to compare whatever differences there may be.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Rvanvoris
Neutral
Rack and Scull

Yeah and if you are really crazy you can fit a 27foot boat on top

Old 09-18-2008, 12:28 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
I have the 846 part number. I'm willing to compare with the new part number if someone with it is in or near NJ.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:42 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Rvanvoris
Yeah and if you are really crazy you can fit a 27foot boat on top
How many Minis are under that boat?

Old 09-18-2008, 01:59 PM
W8EEY
2nd Gear
"Chili Fred" with Rack

Here's a photo that we snapped at the dealership after the installation. These are Part Number 82-71-2-149-225.

Gary

Old 09-18-2008, 02:07 PM
JGS
3rd Gear
The rack looks good on Chili Fred.

The BMW dealer's parts department called me just now and says that the new racks are now available (255's) and that there is a bulletin issued by MINI on installation that involves spacers. He will give me a copy Saturday.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:10 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by W8EEY
I am pleased to report that the new rack was successfully installed on our Clubman this morning by Mini of Sterling (where we bought our car). I had their Service Department do the install because I didn't want any problems in the future regarding warranty, etc.

We arrived at about 7 AM and departed at about 11 AM.

The rack is solidly mounted (testing by hand). Now I just have to find a luggage box we like and figure out how to best mount it to the rack.

The rack came with special tools, hole covers and a manual. I've attached JPG scans of the English language pages from the manual.

My cost for the rack and installation was subsidized by a $ 400 credit that I received when we picked up our car originally. The credit was given due to some small paint scratches caused by the dealer technicians' belt buckles when washing the car after delivery. My out of pocket cost today was $ 75.83.

Regards,

Gary
But these really do not tell the whole story there are things missing from the directions that are very important. That is why i wrote up the instructions in that are in the sticky at the top of the clubman section

Old 09-18-2008, 02:17 PM
MBX5
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Clubman
Ouch!

My tragedy was not that type. I almost lost my Cannondale mountain bike after a rapid deceleration from 80 down to about 30. My Thule Big Mouth let go and the bike fell over sideways. The wheel straps held though (phew!) so the bike did not fall off the car.

I will be getting a High Roller or King Cobra tray to carry that bike. The High Roller works for you, right?
Yep so far I like the High roller allot. The only draw back seems to me with my dual crown downhill bike it's hard to place in the tray. It's because the frame has a long rake of the front fork. My freeride/XC bike goes on with no problem.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:11 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JGS
The rack looks good on Chili Fred.

The BMW dealer's parts department called me just now and says that the new racks are now available (255's) and that there is a bulletin issued by MINI on installation that involves spacers. He will give me a copy Saturday.
So, did you get a copy? What's the "modifications" to be made? To the car?

Old 09-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Prost
4th Gear
Just place an order for the 82-71-0-435-846 rack for my clubman, will tell you guys after it comes and installs sometimes next week.

Now, what fork mount (brand/model) do I need to carry my 2 road bikes? Do you think this OEM fork mount from Outmotoring.com will fit this Clubman rack:

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...ack_kayak.html

Thanks

Old 09-26-2008, 01:05 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Can't help on the details with fork mounts; don't use 'em. However...

This thread has evidence that both Yakima and Thule accessories mount to any "generation" of the OEM rack.

Remember, the crossbars are virtually identical to Thule Rapid Aero bars. Any reputable dealer will be able to help with what adapters might be necessary.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:09 PM
ItsNumptyBoy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Prost
Just place an order for the 82-71-0-435-846 rack for my clubman, will tell you guys after it comes and installs sometimes next week.
I might be wrong (cos I am very very tired) but is this not the wrong part number now?? Should the new, current, improved () bars not end in -255

Old 09-26-2008, 01:13 PM
MBX5
4th Gear
Yep go check out any Yakima or Thule and pic the one you like best. Any dealer in your area can help you pick one that is right for your needs.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:24 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ItsNumptyBoy
I might be wrong (cos I am very very tired) but is this not the wrong part number now?? Should the new, current, improved () bars not end in -255
Your statement is correct but some dealers have the old part number still available and there is some kind of adapter plate/part to make them work better.

I have no problem with my 846 though. In fact it works great. So i do not see what the problem is, and i am very unhappy with my current dealer so i am taking some time to cool down and then in a few weeks will persure all my little problems again.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:32 PM
ItsNumptyBoy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Your statement is correct but some dealers have the old part number still available and there is some kind of adapter plate/part to make them work better.

I have no problem with my 846 though. In fact it works great. So i do not see what the problem is, and i am very unhappy with my current dealer so i am taking some time to cool down and then in a few weeks will persure all my little problems again.
Hey schatzy, I wasn't poo-poo-ing those who have made the older bars work very well indeed, especially yourself (and your valuable install instructions)...it was just that this appeared to refer to a "fresh order"...so I thought that I would highlight the number in case there was time to correct the order.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:52 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ItsNumptyBoy
Hey schatzy, I wasn't poo-poo-ing those who have made the older bars work very well indeed, especially yourself (and your valuable install instructions)...it was just that this appeared to refer to a "fresh order"...so I thought that I would highlight the number in case there was time to correct the order.
Actually over on this side of the pond we have a nubmer of aftermarket vendors selling the oem parts. and they probably have stock they are trying to get rid of as well.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Just to add to this very long thread, I received notice of this today:
Originally Posted by DPMINI Aaron
Good news all who have ordered a new clubman

Following the recent bulletin detailing September 2008 Model Year actions, we are pleased to announce that Roof Rack Preparation will NOT be removed from MINI Clubman models.

Customers will therefore be able to specify either option 386 - Roof Rails or alternatively fit the Roof Rack Base Support System via the Aftersales retrofit kit.
via PM and post on MINI2: http://www.mini2.com/forum/3560176-post154.html

Old 09-30-2008, 01:10 PM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MyroMini
So, did you get a copy? What's the "modifications" to be made? To the car?
Anyone know the details of this bulletin?

Old 10-03-2008, 07:16 PM
mini265
1st Gear
Is your roof rack noisy

I picked up my MCC yesterday and had ordered the 225 rack. It was installed when I picked up the car and my MA said he did not know anything about the rack. Anyway, I have have the premium pkg so have the dual sunroofs. Boy was it noisy when I fully opened the front one. Has anyone noticed this or is it just a sunroof issue. I saw in another thread that if the screen is not pulled it is noisy. I had it pulled but could not even hear the radio. I am hoping if I remove the rack it will be better.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:41 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
I just bought and installed the 225 rack on my 08 clubby. With the instructions by Schatzy, the installation was a breeze. I very much like more the look of this rack than the Thule one I had this summer. And it feels so much more solid. The only thing is that Thule is a flat bar. And the Mini OEM is slotted. So my 2 Thule bike attachments don't "fit" anymore (they have a U shaped braket to fix around the bar). But my rack guy found some. I'm heading there right now for fitting. I'll probably have to modify my bike attachments to fit. We'll see.

As for the noise. I don't have the sunroof. And at around 120km/h (that's around 72 MPH for the non-metrics out there), I barely hear a thing. Did you get the 2 rubber strips that fit into the slot? I have these installed (probably for use when nothing is on the rack or with a cargo box). Maybe that reduces the noise?

Old 10-04-2008, 09:40 AM
mini265
1st Gear
Thanks for the info. My rack does not have rubber strips. Were they included with rack? If so, I will have to back to the dealer and see where they put them. They probably would help with the noise.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:26 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by mini265
Thanks for the info. My rack does not have rubber strips. Were they included with rack? If so, I will have to back to the dealer and see where they put them. They probably would help with the noise.
They should have come with the rack. And they are made to go in to reduce the noise from the rack.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:27 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MyroMini
I just bought and installed the 225 rack on my 08 clubby. With the instructions by Schatzy, the installation was a breeze. I very much like more the look of this rack than the Thule one I had this summer. And it feels so much more solid. The only thing is that Thule is a flat bar. And the Mini OEM is slotted. So my 2 Thule bike attachments don't "fit" anymore (they have a U shaped braket to fix around the bar). But my rack guy found some. I'm heading there right now for fitting. I'll probably have to modify my bike attachments to fit. We'll see.

As for the noise. I don't have the sunroof. And at around 120km/h (that's around 72 MPH for the non-metrics out there), I barely hear a thing. Did you get the 2 rubber strips that fit into the slot? I have these installed (probably for use when nothing is on the rack or with a cargo box). Maybe that reduces the noise?
there are special attachment kits that are used with the Thule Aero bars the should fit you current racks and only cost about $13.00 to $20.00 or so.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:56 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
The Thule website is very clear about what adapter kits are needed for a particular rack item. To get my Big Mouth bike trays into service, I needed the Xadapt2 kit. That kit is $12.50.

Quick Reply: R55 Rack on Clubman - Issues??