R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Minidomore Trailer Hitch for Clubman (maybe in May)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:05 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by moe-jiller
Looks like you would have to get under the car to pin the draw bar. I also wonder where the safety chains would hook?
All of their hitches you have to reach underneath to put the pin in.

From the pictures they sent me of the prototype they sent off for testing, is see NO way to attach safety chains. That is not a goo thing either since in most states they are required.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:57 AM
kenatminimania
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be VERY surprised if they released a product that does not allow for a safety chain... I guess we will soon find out.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:00 AM
austex
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about using the rear tow-hook to attach safety chain? Too far offset maybe?

Old 10-09-2008, 10:08 AM
franky
Neutral
What is the access hole for? Is it a release for the hitch or the location of the hitch itself? How does the license plate lower?

Old 11-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Otra
6th Gear
I have no idea if you all have seen this yet or not, but while looking at The MINI Clubman Flickr pool I came across some photos of the Minidomore Clubman hitch and when I clicked on one I got to a photostream of a ton of them: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1406643...7608632037114/ Thought you'd want to take a look. It turns out it's the prototype of their hitch according to this post on the Clubman Pool here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/mini_clubman/

inquintessence says:

I just had the prototype installed by minidomore and the results are pretty nice. Contact www.minidomore.com for more information.
Posted at 1:11PM, 6 November 2008 PST ( permalink )

Attached Thumbnails Minidomore Trailer Hitch for Clubman (maybe in May)-3000861953_fa112edd9e.jpg  
Old 11-07-2008, 03:54 PM
mdot
2nd Gear
Just got an email.......
Mini Do More is excited to finally offer The Clubman Trailer Receiver Hitch.
Please see the attached press release and installation instructions. The
Clubman hitch should be available on our site for Pre-Order in the next
couple of days. As with our other units, this unit is DOT Certified for
1400lb towing and 200lb tongue weight and retails for $325 (including
shipping and handling) Units should ship no later than the second week of
December. Please visit our site, www.minidomore.com! Thank you all for
your continued interest in our products.

It came with a couple attachments I can't post including installation instructions, and a doc with pictures as shown in Otra's post

Old 11-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Otra
6th Gear
That's great! I was just looking at the photos on Flickr - hadn't noticed the bicycle accessory before.

Looks great!

Does that price just cover the actual hitch and ball or whatever it's called? As in this photo? That seems like a lot of money to me....and then if you wanted to add in the box carrier for another $200...

Last edited by Otra; 03-05-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:12 PM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
For those interested in towing, you can see the loops for the safety chain welded to the ball mount. Not what I'd like to see, but, legal. Also means you need to get the ball mount from them as well since std 1 1/4" ball mounts do not have those 'loops'.

And, yes, receiver hitches tend to be expensive. I was interested, but, not at that price. Will use the truck when I need to tow our little trailer.

charlie

Old 11-07-2008, 06:16 PM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
Go to their site. The drawbar is $85!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 03:15 PM
TsPoet
2nd Gear
Questions:
1) How does this modification affect the integrity and/or weather worthiness of the bumper? It looks like you have to drill a hole and therefore water can get in?
2) Can you move the license place back up when the hitch isn't in use? The back looks ugly with the license plate hanging down like that.
Comments
Compared to other hitches I've looked at, the price isn't really out of range.

I'd planned before I even got my Clubman to get one of these along with a Sportsrig trailer. I have to have something, so I don't know if there are any other trailer hitch choices?

For any interested, here's what the Sportrig trailer looks like
http://www.sportsrig.com/

Old 11-09-2008, 02:55 AM
Arns
2nd Gear
What trailer weight is the Mini capable of pulling? What about tongue weight from a trailer? Mini's would look so good lowered. I guess you would have to be real careful with trailer axle location to give a modest tongue wieght.

Could a Mini Clubman S pull 500-1,000 lbs.? More? Is auto trans better than 6 speed and cluch?

Old 11-09-2008, 02:57 AM
Arns
2nd Gear
Typo on my last post. Mini's would NOT look so good with a lowered rear end.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:10 AM
mdot
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Arns
What trailer weight is the Mini capable of pulling? What about tongue weight from a trailer? ...
Could a Mini Clubman S pull 500-1,000 lbs.? More? Is auto trans better than 6 speed and cluch?
From tehir email...As with our other units, this unit is DOT Certified for
1400lb towing and 200lb tongue weight

With all auto's (except those made to tow) there is a small chance of the slush box overheating when towing full weight on long distances especially over hills. I had a sadan with an auto that I was towing a catamaran with. I thought of getting a tranny fluid cooling kit. But When I realized I was only driving 10 miles to the lake and it was less than half the towing weight, I didn't bother.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:06 AM
Arns
2nd Gear
I have a 1990 Miata with a tow bar setup, so there is no tongue weight but the car weighs close to 2,000. I may have to build a small kit trailer with some nice side wooden rails for bringing home the mulch, light firewood, taking the lawn mowers to be serviced etc. 1,400 pounds can be a lot of stuff. The right foot is your biggest enemy in towing anything.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:40 AM
A&Rsclubman
Neutral
Hi,
I am the owner of the red clubman that is in the photos. The receiver hitch install is very nice and doesn't screw up the bumper at all. While I'll be using it mostly for carrying my bikes, I am looking forward to being able to pull a small trailer. All the accessories look to be first class. While the hitch isn't cheap, the fit and design is first rate.
I live in Brecksville, OH if anyone would want to see it.
Rick

Old 11-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks A&Rsclubman - nice CR MCC and great photos showing the whole set up. As TsPoet asked what about the license plate situation, do you move yours back up to its normal spot once you remove everything?

Old 11-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Barley
3rd Gear
I'm mediumly interested in this idea. A 'stealth' receiver hitch would be awesome. But it would never be a DIY project for the likes of me. I nearly fainted at the hole-saw pics in the excellent Flickr stream.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:58 PM
A&Rsclubman
Neutral
As far as the plate goes, yes, you move it back up....

As far as the hole saw deal goes.....MiniDoMore may offer a pre-drilled cover to make hole placement easier....

Old 11-10-2008, 03:46 AM
Formula Fun
1st Gear
I quickly ran through my owners' manual. There isn't any information on the towing capacity of the Clubman...probably because it is not rated for towing anything. Has anyone considered this, along with any warranty issues?

I've installed hitches on other vehicles that the manufacturer did not offer a tow rating...but it was an old VW Passat wagon that was well past its warranty period.

Having said that, I'd like a hitch on the Clubman, for a bike rack.

Comments?

Old 11-10-2008, 05:47 AM
Otra
6th Gear
I've been reading a thread on MINI2 that may be of interest...as it is about "towbars for a Clubman: http://www.mini2.com/forum/mini-club...r-clubman.html You need to read through from the beginning because apparently one person (in Europe) had his Clubman built with a factory towbar (didn't know this existed - does it for the USA?)...It is also stated that the "factory installed towbar" is not suitable for the Clubman S...and then someone else posted a link to a company that makes a towbar that works with the Non S Clubman http://www.towbar-europe.com/product...ed-towbar.html. At that link you'll find an option to read an installation instruction manual in pdf form...and once you access that you'll see it is written in several languages, including English.

I don't know what the exchange rate is on Euros to dollars these days, etc., nor whether shipping would make this astronomical, but I thought I'd post it for those who might be interested for research purposes, etc.

In reading all of this, including about the Minidomore version, I wonder if it is considered "approved" for use with the Clubman - as in will it void one's warranty if there were to be a problem?

P.S. And, as I believe someone mentioned earlier somewhere, there is MINI FINI's "The Club-Link" that has a working prototype going: http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=29 which sounds quite interesting...shows it with the S Clubman, and might be worth calling up about for more info.

Last edited by Otra; 11-10-2008 at 07:18 AM. Reason: another link
Old 11-10-2008, 02:03 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Otra
I've been reading a thread on MINI2 that may be of interest...as it is about "towbars for a Clubman: http://www.mini2.com/forum/mini-club...r-clubman.html You need to read through from the beginning because apparently one person (in Europe) had his Clubman built with a factory towbar (didn't know this existed - does it for the USA?)
Yes they do exist in europe but they are not authoirized for US cars. The mod includes larger rear springs as well.

...It is also stated that the "factory installed towbar" is not suitable for the Clubman S...and then someone else posted a link to a company that makes a towbar that works with the Non S Clubman http://www.towbar-europe.com/product...ed-towbar.html. At that link you'll find an option to read an installation instruction manual in pdf form...and once you access that you'll see it is written in several languages, including English.
the above link is for the OEM hitch that is supplied to Mini/BMW by Westfalia Group. The design of the OEM hitch means it can not fit the S model.

I don't know what the exchange rate is on Euros to dollars these days, etc., nor whether shipping would make this astronomical, but I thought I'd post it for those who might be interested for research purposes, etc.
i priced this out back in August and was quoted 375 euros at the time that came to over $600 just for the hitch and another $400+ for shipping as it is very heavy. Then also i was going to have to modify it to fit the S version.

In reading all of this, including about the Minidomore version, I wonder if it is considered "approved" for use with the Clubman - as in will it void one's warranty if there were to be a problem?

P.S. And, as I believe someone mentioned earlier somewhere, there is MINI FINI's "The Club-Link" that has a working prototype going: http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=29 which sounds quite interesting...shows it with the S Clubman, and might be worth calling up about for more info.

It is posible that Mini could void your warranty for putting the hitch on but it is doubtful they would do that.

Mini Fini has been telling me that they will have the proto type done in two weeks for more than 6 months. But then again look at the title of this thread Something about MAY.

One other note. The european hitch replaces the under structure portion of the bumper.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks, Schatzy, appreciate your responses. I'll probably bide my time. My husband wants to have the hitch mounted cargo carrier option.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:47 PM
austex
2nd Gear
Didja catch the price on the MiniFini preorder - $500 shipped?

I have found a glitch in my plan to install the MiniDoMore hitch on my Clubman - I have mudflaps installed, and they overlap the wheel-arch which must be "lifted" to get at two of the bumper fasteners. The mudflaps are "glued" on with 3M tape, and they are ON THERE as there was a special primer provided for the install to enhance adhesion.

Get out the dental floss and saw them off....

Old 11-11-2008, 04:28 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by austex
Didja catch the price on the MiniFini preorder - $500 shipped?

I have found a glitch in my plan to install the MiniDoMore hitch on my Clubman - I have mudflaps installed, and they overlap the wheel-arch which must be "lifted" to get at two of the bumper fasteners. The mudflaps are "glued" on with 3M tape, and they are ON THERE as there was a special primer provided for the install to enhance adhesion.

Get out the dental floss and saw them off....
That will not be easy either as they wrap around the corner and that will make it hard to get teh dental floss to move.

The other option is to remove the whole wheel arch with the bumper. Not easy but may be easier than trying to get the glued together parts apart.

P.S. I have the same problem.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:51 AM
kbleicher
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow.. between the mud flaps and having to lower the plate I'm out. Lowering the plate is just ugly and a deal-killer for me. Good to see that they're working on solutions, however.... I'm not sure if they could have done this at all where the plate is.

Guess I'll just cram the bike in the back or get an exterior mount of some kind.

Quick Reply: R55 Minidomore Trailer Hitch for Clubman (maybe in May)