Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Just got a classic--need a bit of help here!

Old 10-24-2016, 06:50 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got a classic--need a bit of help here!

Okay, my "new" old Mini just came off the truck today. Cleaned it up a bit--lots of oil from the pickup above it on the 18-wheeler, but I see no shipping damage. It'll take some getting used to, but I have an immediate question.

This car came from Florida, and was owned by an older man (in his '70s). I'm guessing that's why it shrieks at me when I put on the turn signals. I mean, there's no need for a signal light because the whole world hears them. Please tell me that's an add-on, and not the way they're supposed to be...anyone know what I can do to get the regular tick, tick tick all other cars have? The dash lights work, so I really don't need the noise. It literally makes me jump every time I signal.

The car is a '65, rebodied about 20 years ago with a '93 body.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:05 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm sure it's an add on......a new flasher is about $5 at any auto parts store, just get one of the two pronged type and you should be good to go.

BTW, is your car a 65 Mk 1 or a 93? It makes a difference in the parts.....

Congrats on your classic!

Old 10-24-2016, 08:16 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Thanks, Dave! I asked the mechanic, and he said just about everything would be '93. It says '65 on the title, of course. It's been in the country for over 20 years, long before anyone ever figured original Minis would have special value. I have a '64 Porsche 356 SC, too, so I know how bad that assumption would have been had we changed a lot of things on our car.

This one's a driver, not a show car, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:42 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIdave
I'm sure it's an add on......a new flasher is about $5 at any auto parts store, just get one of the two pronged type and you should be good to go.

BTW, is your car a 65 Mk 1 or a 93? It makes a difference in the parts.....

Congrats on your classic!
yep - cuz a 93 probably uses a 3 prong flasher! My 79 does ... but I may have a not original wiring harness from an earlier re-do
{"Originals had the identification mark DRC8626 this square black unit does both hazard and indicators on cars from approx 1991"}

best thing is find yours b4 you buy anything ... it's the joy when you get a car who'd true history is a lil grey. I know my car is very modified and the motor is a Metro so some research is required for every part as "79" probably isn't right!

if 3 prong the Mini part is GFU2208 but you can get an equivalent at any part store for just a few dollars. The original is 12V with 98W max load. The 3 prongs are labeled 31 49 49a

but I doubt the squeel is from the flasher ... almost certainly an add on. The flasher relay has a 'natural' click - that's a side effect of how it works. But add in buzzers are common for various warnings like leaving lights on ... they only cost a few dollars. It is probably near the flasher but if loud should be easy to track down ...

{a handy reference to have is a complete parts catalog for Mini. They can be found on line but sometimes a complete paper copy is handy. You can get one for FREE from MOSS! https://www.mossmotors.com/CatalogRe...questForm.aspx Mine is dog eared and oil stained and never too far away ... the drawings of parts where there's more than 1 option have helped me ID the correct part many times}

Last edited by Capt_bj; 10-25-2016 at 04:53 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:02 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Thanks for the info. I have a service manual on order, but I need to get an owner's manual, too. I'll use the link to get that parts catalog. I do know that the previous owner told me he put a relay on the lights. I'm wondering if he really meant the turn signals? I've got a call in to the mechanic to ask about this and a few other things.

All I can tell you is that when I put the turn signals on, the fire trucks show up looking for the fire!

Old 10-25-2016, 03:02 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
he put a relay on the lights.

does the car have some driving or fog lights?

I'll bet these are what he was referring to

but either way ... relays don't make noise other than a 'click'

research "relay" and see how they work and you'll see why

{today, with a computer controlling the BLINK, they artificially produce the relay 'click' sometimes making is a beep .....}

Old 10-25-2016, 07:38 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
he put a relay on the lights.

does the car have some driving or fog lights?

I'll bet these are what he was referring to

but either way ... relays don't make noise other than a 'click'

research "relay" and see how they work and you'll see why

{today, with a computer controlling the BLINK, they artificially produce the relay 'click' sometimes making is a beep .....}
Yes, it has LED driving lights. We put a relay on our Porsche 356's headlights to make a noise when we shut the engine off, but it's so quiet you really wouldn't notice it. This car's turn signals will wake up the dead!

Old 10-25-2016, 07:42 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
{a handy reference to have is a complete parts catalog for Mini. They can be found on line but sometimes a complete paper copy is handy. You can get one for FREE from MOSS! https://www.mossmotors.com/CatalogRe...questForm.aspx Mine is dog eared and oil stained and never too far away ... the drawings of parts where there's more than 1 option have helped me ID the correct part many times}
Capt, I tried to order a catalog, but they do not have a listing for any kind of Mini. Rats!

Old 10-25-2016, 07:52 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 10-26-2016, 04:31 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Old 10-26-2016, 10:30 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Classic Mini

Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Capt, I tried to order a catalog, but they do not have a listing for any kind of Mini. Rats!
Hi daffodildeb! Congrats on being a Classic and NEW MINI owner! Please check out our site, we have more parts for both styles than anyone and have been working on these cars for over 40 years for street and track.

Speaking of catalogs, here's one that is a "must have" that is also suitable for sharing on your coffee table:

http://www.minimania.com/part/AKM201...r-Classic-Mini

Right now Classic parts are 18% off, and we have a great Clearance section too.

Finally, Classic Minis sometimes have parts that are difficult to find, and being the largest supplier we even have used ones that are available:

http://www.minimania.com/Search_Results/used/Parts

Here are flasher parts!

http://www.minimania.com/Search_Results/flasher/Parts

Please let us know if we can help!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:32 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Classic Mini

Thanks for the link, MINIdave!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:04 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
find the squealer yet?

Old 10-28-2016, 03:48 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
find the squealer yet?
Yup, sure did. Got a text from the PO that he'd put a switch controlling the sound under the dash. Found it and now...blessed silence! Apparently there were a few chuckles in Florida about that. Personally, I think I lost a couple of years off my life from the unexpected shrieking!

Search this Thread