Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Is a MY2000 Classic MINI a viable "just drive it" for east coast?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 07:31 AM
isthar
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is a MY2000 Classic MINI a viable "just drive it" for east coast?

Mulling around idea of having a classic MINI... as late MY as I can get (aka 2000)... are those models basically turn-key-and-drive, if given reasonable maintenance love by a good mini shop? It would drive occasionally, east coast roads and weather, I wouldn't be babying it, outside w/ a cover I guess but still driving it when I can...

Old 11-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
in general terms a 'classic' must be 25 years old or older to be imported. See the sticky about import rules.

there was a small number of the 'last' 2000's there granted an exemption for special collector status but getting your hands on one of these would be difficult I suspect

So at BEST you are looking at maintaining a 25 year old car that was never built to last this long!

Old 11-26-2014, 02:30 PM
mk1leg
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
sometimes younger minis are imported into usa as much plder minis ......

Old 11-26-2014, 03:11 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by mk1leg
sometimes younger minis are imported into usa as much plder minis ......
Issue with "re-vins" are it becomes very hard to get parts cause nobody is 100% WHAT you have...one more thought...you are buying a car that has false papers (if you are importing it/dealing with the importer)...so what else is the seller going to do? They are known to be dishonest from the start...maybe hidden rust or other damage not disclosed...your hands as the buyer are now "unclean" in legal terms, it becomes hard to claim somebody misrepresented a car that you KNEW had false papers that MIGHT have been stolen...it is unknown...
And the "newer" parts might not be stocked by the classic parts sellers...
Looked closely...and re-vins are a road to hell...the car will never really be 100% legal, and will always have a bit of a cloud hanging over it....
Bring it to a car show for fun...as a re-vin, it WILL BE SPOTTED...some might not car...but it will never be more than a "driver"....

Old 11-28-2014, 01:09 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
All good points, but the owner should always know exactly what year the car is (there are ways to tell) so getting parts should be a non issue.

There are legal issues tho, there are stories all over the net about Land Rovers being confiscated by customs and people losing their investments and of course - there goes another valuable car to the scrappers.

The other problem with the late model cars is the fuel injection they used, parts can be difficult to find, and it's just as difficult or more so to find anyone who knows how to fix it.

All in all, finding a true legal car to buy is always a better choice, but then you run into rust and mechanical condition issues - or a very expensive car that's been totally re-done.

One of my friends had a company in England go thru and totally rebuild an 88 Mini, so it's completely legal and completely rebuilt - but it's still a 26 year old car with all that implies.

If you can't do most of your own repairs, I don't think it's a viable proposition to own any 25 y/o car, regardless of the brand - unless you have a lot of disposable income to support your choice.