Burning River MINI The Burning River MINI club forum.

Nelson Ledges Driver School

Old 06-21-2010, 06:01 PM
wellzy
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sunday August 29, 2010
Presented by
Burning River MINI
Instruction provided by
Carbotech Performance Brakes
Gates open at 7 am
Instruction begins at 8 am
Track opens at 8:30 am
$140.00 includes lunch and bottled water
Bring your own snacks and non-alcoholic beverages
Limited to first 30 paid drivers
Payment due by August 1, 2010
Mail payments to Mark Wells 3955 River Road, Perry Ohio 44081
Payments are non-refundable, however they are transferable
For additional information contact
Mark Wells
440-537-2279
wellzymini@yahoo.com

Last edited by wellzy; 06-22-2010 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wellzy- Is this an open fun day at Nelson or have you rented the track for this group? Who are your instructors & is this open to folks who are above the beginner level. Will there be different groups based on experience?

Sounds like fun!

Old 06-22-2010, 01:32 AM
Tiny Blue Thing
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-alcoholic?!

Old 06-22-2010, 03:49 AM
wellzy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
Wellzy- Is this an open fun day at Nelson or have you rented the track for this group? Who are your instructors & is this open to folks who are above the beginner level. Will there be different groups based on experience?

Sounds like fun!
This is not an open track day I have rented Nelsons. There well on be 30 driver at this school. The instrution will incluide but not limeted to Mike Puskar Sr. Chris Puskar both guys have a ton of racing behind them. It is open to people of all levels The morning will be classroom after lunch will be applicatin. what you have learned.

Last edited by reboopie; 06-24-2010 at 03:08 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:49 AM
wellzy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton

Sounds like fun!
Crashton

We have rented the track and drivers will be separated by level.

It should be a great time.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:59 AM
Mowse
5th Gear
Wellzy

Are you cooking lunch?

Old 06-22-2010, 06:33 AM
wellzy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mowse
Are you cooking lunch?
Yes I am. Lunch will be subs salads and chips with bottled water

Old 06-22-2010, 08:58 AM
kimoz
5th Gear
What about spectators? I am not sure about $$$. I have to get brakes done sometime this summer. I would like to come watch.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Mowse
5th Gear
so is this just the 30 or so people you invite?

or will there be jerks in Vettes, Porsches, ect there blowing by us inexperienced types?

Old 06-23-2010, 03:42 PM
claancy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tina and I will be there! (as long as she promises to keep my car shiny-side-up)

Old 06-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mowse
or will there be jerks in Vettes, Porsches, ect there blowing by us inexperienced types?
Track days or rather, schools are not races. Ones goal should be to learn car control in a safe non-street environment. Have some fun, drive home with some good lessons, a smile on your face & an intact car. One can not win a track day/school, but one sure as heck can lose one. I've seen that happen a few times & it really sucks for the loser.

If someone is faster than you it does not necessarily mean they are a jerk. Just point them by. It's a pretty easy concept that once understood works well for all on track. You will lose very little time with a point by. On the other hand if you catch someone who is slower & won't point you by it will cost you a ton of time. It's been my experience that the slower car is usually the problem not the faster one. I feel it all comes down to the mentality of one thinking it is a race & not a track day/school.

I'm sure the groups will be divided up by experience. That way no matter what car is driven it will be the skill of the drivers that determin groupings. I'm sure Wellzy & his instructors will have a good handle on things.

Here is some good reading. http://www.nelsonledges.com/GOTDrivingRules.aspx

I hope to make this track day/school, but can't commit yet. I love nelson it is a fun track!

Old 06-23-2010, 07:17 PM
wellzy
4th Gear
Thank you chuck and I assure you the people I have will be top shelf. The instructors have years of racing experience and are instructors for SCCA, BMW as well as Porsche. My focus for putting this together is for people like myself to learn how to drive there cars at speed in a safe fashion. To this end I have chosen to limit the number of car to 30 witch is a really small number so that those that participate can get the most out of it. Others that do schools like this often will book upwards of a 100 people so they can make money for their clubs. I don't feel that that is wrong just not what I am about. So that being said I hope that all of you that have been thinking about doing a school come out it is really a great opportunity.

Yes English is like my second language.

Last edited by wellzy; 06-24-2010 at 03:16 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:16 AM
Mowse
5th Gear
I did a Porsche driving school there

in 2005 and the jerks in 911s and Vettes were aplenty on an overcrowded track similar the what Wellzy said (100 cars).

At 30 cars this will be awesome for beginners like myself as well as advanced types as we will be seperated thereby having an open track where we can concentrate on driving as opposed to pointing.

BTW, I paid $180 for that day and it did not include lunch. NICE WORK WELLZY!!!!

Old 06-24-2010, 03:20 AM
reboopie
4th Gear
Wellzy is very excited about the driving school, we are thinking about having Nancy do it as well.

Greg, you should think about bringing your son. I would be a fun way for you to spend a day together and since he is a young man it may help him to be a better driver. Just a thought.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:42 AM
Tiny Blue Thing
2nd Gear
So do we judge how experienced people are by how many cars they've put in a ditch? I am soooo experienced.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:43 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tiny Blue Thing
So do we judge how experienced people are by how many cars they've put in a ditch? I am soooo experienced.
If that is the yardstick lots of folks are more experienced than you, me included. If one learns from such things it makes you better. A tough lesson for sure, but a lesson none the less. You are going to school to improve your driving & I applaud you for it!

in 2005 and the jerks in 911s and Vettes were aplenty on an overcrowded track similar the what Wellzy said (100 cars).
100 cars on track, hmm I think your memory is not quite running at full rpm. The most I've ever been on track with at one time was 65 & SCCA had to give us a dispensation for us to do that. It was over 25 years ago & I still remember it. Crazy stuff for sure.

When one is a novice all of those cars flying past you can be intimidating & can seem like jerks if you wish. Been there done that. As time goes by it is less intimidating & more fun. Anyone who goes should relax & enjoy the experience.

For what it is worth I think young drivers doing the BMW/Tire Rack Street Survival course is a very valuable exercise. Then maybe a some auto x before trying their hand at track driving. Just my .02...

Old 06-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Mowse
5th Gear
Nelson Ledges

Wellzy my son does not drive a manual. Since he grew up two hours away I didn't get the opportunity to teach him as it takes practice to be safe.

Chuck. Never claimed there were 100 cars on the track at once. There were different groups, however, it was congested enough that I had cars close behind, next to me, and in front of me a great deal of the time. Being my first time out it was unnerving to say the least and I was under pressure from my instructor to drive faster to keep up with the cars which were better suited to the track. In retrospect I was at the wrong school. Mark's sounds like the right one for me.

And by my stating that the Porsche and Vette drivers were "jerks" that day I mean that by their off the track lack of manners, and their condesending comments as well as their aggressive on the track driving. It was not a friendly crowd.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Greg- Sure does sound like you were the guppy swimming with the sharks for sure.

Whenever you are on track there are always going to be cars in front & behind. Some folks drive very aggressively too.

You should have asked for a different instructor. Everyone is different & some instructors can drive well, but suck at instruction. Your instructor ruined that day for you. Mark has this covered so it should be a very good experience for all involved.

I misunderstood your meaning of jerks. I took the meaning to be they were jerks cause they were faster than you & passing you. Sorry for that.

It hasn't been mentioned, but everyone should have their car tech'ed before they hit the track. Nothing should be marginal. Even at a school you put a lot of stress on your car. Brake fluid should be fresh. If it is old it can boil easily. If the fluid has been in there over 6 months it is old. Boiled fluid equals no brakes. Nuff said about that.

Maybe BRM could do a tech day before the school.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Mowse
5th Gear
Yeah the day turned out to be a stress bomb

but I managed to learn a few things....all of which I have since forgotten

One thing I remember is to have NOTHING in your car before you get on the track. My instructor cleared every little doo dad I had and dumped it on the ground. He said he saw a tissue box crack a windshield once!

I have have met Mr Pushcart and one of his son's. Nice people who know their stuff.

This will be a GREAT day for BRM and guests.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
but I managed to learn a few things....all of which I have since forgotten
Sort of like riding a bicycle, it will come back to you.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:52 AM
wellzy
4th Gear
if any one is looking at doing the driver school i still have a few spots open so get your money in and reserve you spot before they are all gone

Old 08-03-2010, 05:58 PM
kimoz
5th Gear
No driving for me. Having wheel bearings replaced on the front tomorrow. Got 122,222 miles out of them. Pretty good deal.

I will help as a pit crew member instead. I can bring my canopy for some shade while Wellzy cooks.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:53 PM
wellzy
4th Gear
This event is almost upon us so if you are not decided your time running short. Beleave me if you do not go you will end up regreating it

Old 08-25-2010, 06:01 AM
snowmanmini
2nd Gear
I'm in. See you there. I did a Fun Day at Nelson last year and had a blast. It will be great to have only Minis on the track. Thanks for pulling it together.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Mowse
5th Gear
Er, ......uh

Originally Posted by snowmanmini
I'm in. See you there. I did a Fun Day at Nelson last year and had a blast. It will be great to have only Minis on the track. Thanks for pulling it together.

Only Minis?

There will be one exception.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nelson Ledges Driver School