Alabama Motoring Society: BAMA and Rocket City The forum for the Alabama Motoring Society.
Visit the BAMA club site at www.bamamini.com
Visit the Rocket City MINI club site at www.rocketcitymini.com

Mini Mechanics in Birmingham Area

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:29 AM
Barbicatter
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Mechanics in Birmingham Area

Hi Everyone,

My MCS 09' is now out of warranty and now I need to find a mechanic. I have a few minor issues that I need to take care of.

Thanks, Barb

Old 04-14-2014, 08:20 PM
RussellW
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Folks on the original Alabama Motoring Society used to speak highly of Stephen' Garage

Stephen's Garage4105 4th Ave S,

Birmingham, AL 35222
(205) 595-8735

I have no input and don't even know if he's still there, but let us know if you try him.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:53 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Load this website and click on the independent repair shop link then scroll down. You'll also want to keep this link in your MINI favorites folder for future reference. It is a HUGE repository of just about everything MINI that can be found.
http://soopercooperinfo.com/

Old 04-15-2014, 06:15 AM
Barbicatter
1st Gear
Thank You, for the replies.

Fortunately I found a shop yesterday evening, and they were on the SooperCooper list.

http://www.bimmershops.com/alabama/stephens-garage

Bimmer Motor Works
1816 Tin Valley Circle Birmingham, AL 35235
205.661.1BMW

These gentlemen saved me from a costly repair. My mini is recently out of warranty at 50,0000 miles. My next oil change is not due for another 6,000 miles. I went in for a rattle noise during warm up, and for them to reset the brake and tire light since the tire shop weren't able to reset it. The tire shop was unaware that the brake sensor must be replaced at the same time of the brakes. When they checked my oil I was three quarts low, and there was no sign of leaks. I'm so fortunate that I brought this Mini in when I did. I could be paying for a new motor, instead of a 3 quarts of oil and a brake sensor.
I would highly recommend this shop, the staff is professional and knowledgeable, the shop is clean and well maintained and the prices are affordable.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:23 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Barbicatter
Thank You, for the replies.

Fortunately I found a shop yesterday evening, and they were on the SooperCooper list.

http://www.bimmershops.com/alabama/stephens-garage

Bimmer Motor Works
1816 Tin Valley Circle Birmingham, AL 35235
205.661.1BMW

These gentlemen saved me from a costly repair. My mini is recently out of warranty at 50,0000 miles. My next oil change is not due for another 6,000 miles. I went in for a rattle noise during warm up, and for them to reset the brake and tire light since the tire shop weren't able to reset it. The tire shop was unaware that the brake sensor must be replaced at the same time of the brakes. When they checked my oil I was three quarts low, and there was no sign of leaks. I'm so fortunate that I brought this Mini in when I did. I could be paying for a new motor, instead of a 3 quarts of oil and a brake sensor.
I would highly recommend this shop, the staff is professional and knowledgeable, the shop is clean and well maintained and the prices are affordable.
Take this as a gentle ribbing please and not a snarky reprimand. You MUST get into the habit of checking ALL of the fluid levels on a regular basis. That means the oil dipstick, coolant level, steering pump fluid and brake fluid. They are all side by side under the bonnet near the firewall. The coolant reservoir doesn't have a stick so just poke your finger to the bottom of the tank and there should be coolant enough to reach the tip of your finger by about a 1/2 inch or a little less. Regular basis means at least weekly and it's a good idea to check the oil when refueling. These li'l cars are not Japanese appliances and require attention and you are danged lucky that something heinous didn't happen to your poor engine, there was only 2 or a little less quarts left. Yes, you are very lucky.

PS: It wouldn't hurt to carry an extra quart of oil in the boot.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:18 AM
Barbicatter
1st Gear
Yes Sir you are correct, I have been extremely lazy in regards to PM checks. When it was under warranty I just let the dealer do all the work. Only popping the hood to fill the wiper reservoir. I just assumed the Mini with all its bells and whistles would tell me it need something.
If I known that I purchased a Two-Stroke, I would kept a Ratio-Rite cup and quart of oil in the boot.
All kidding aside, I am very fortunate and I will be checking my fluid levels regularly. Poor little Mini has a very bad mother.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:26 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Take this as a gentle ribbing please and not a snarky reprimand. You MUST get into the habit of checking ALL of the fluid levels on a regular basis. That means the oil dipstick, coolant level, steering pump fluid and brake fluid. They are all side by side under the bonnet near the firewall. The coolant reservoir doesn't have a stick so just poke your finger to the bottom of the tank and there should be coolant enough to reach the tip of your finger by about a 1/2 inch or a little less. Regular basis means at least weekly and it's a good idea to check the oil when refueling. These li'l cars are not Japanese appliances and require attention and you are danged lucky that something heinous didn't happen to your poor engine, there was only 2 or a little less quarts left. Yes, you are very lucky.

PS: It wouldn't hurt to carry an extra quart of oil in the boot.
Well put. Manufacturers have lured many into believing the gas and go theory of vehicle operations. All is well until a red light annunciates and then all is expensive. Sixty seconds a week of preflighting your car can make a substantial financial savings. Recently I was using my son in law's Subaru. Before using it, I checked the oil out habit and found no oil on the dipstick. 2.5 quarts of oil later it was up to the full level. He had no clue. He does now.

Last edited by buzzsaw; 04-15-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:15 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Had to drop in and see what Buzzy had to say and noticed that I included the dip stick with the other reservoirs as being lined up together. That obviously was a misstatement.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:26 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Having operated vehicles whereby one could not just pull over to the side of the road and see why a red light was on, the habit of checking what could be checked before departing on any vehicle became indelible.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:06 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you found a local place. I'm in the same boat and this kind of information is valuable. I agree with the others about checking the oil and other fluids. I've become habtiual about it at every fill-up.

Oh, FYI, just don't go looking for a dip stick on the 2014's. BMW has decided that there is no need for one.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:15 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Reebus
Oh, FYI, just don't go looking for a dip stick on the 2014's. BMW has decided that there is no need for one.
Sooo, how many 2014's and beyond do we expect to see pulled over to the side of the road wondering what that red light means and why that big thingie under the hood quit making noise? Seems to me auto manufacturers are opening themselves up for a lot of class action and recall problems down the road (if they can get that far down the 'road').

Old 04-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
Supposedly, the on board displays are to be more robust. I'll be the first to admit that I'd rather be able to "eyeball" it myself, but maybe we're a vanishing breed.......

Old 05-02-2014, 07:10 AM
Louispup
5th Gear
Great info above. Aside from missing Stephen's, I could stand to learn a lot about my '06 cooper. Would anybody be interested in having a clinic for the gas-and-go types such as myself, who really need to learn up?

Old 08-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Louispup
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Reebus
Ok, thanks to this thread I am now checking my oil and found I was running a bit low. Well, my car was anyway.

I'd still love to meet up for a car clinic sometime, but at least I'm learning a drop at a time.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
If you do FACEbook, look up Magic City MINIs We're a local group/club that formed a little more than a year ago. We get together at least once a month for dinner/rides/ and other fun. It's a good group of folks, and a great way to compare notes with others. Anyone of us would be more than happy to pass along any knowledge we may have.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:28 AM
rydergal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Louispup
Great info above. Aside from missing Stephen's, I could stand to learn a lot about my '06 cooper. Would anybody be interested in having a clinic for the gas-and-go types such as myself, who really need to learn up?
Stephen is still around! He moved in with Oxmoor Automotive over in Homewood. 942-4141
He tells me I have the prettiest MINI in town, so of course he gets my business