Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior TV/Video On Nav Install Pictures Help

Old 06-10-2005, 09:27 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TV/Video On Nav Install Pictures Help

Hi All,

I've used the search function both here on NAM and over on mini2 until I'm blue in the face, but I still can't find what I'm looking for...

Recently, someone (either here on NAM or over on mini2) posted a link to a page that contained a bunch of photos of them installing a video module (which displays TV or video on the MINI's OEM nav screen) in their MINI. There where a whole bunch of great shots of them cutting out the carpet under the seat in order to fit in the module, installing the TV tuner in the rear cubby hole, etc. For the life of me I can't find it. I believe that the photos were on the user's own web site and they just posted a link to it here on NAM. The post was relatively recent (within the last 6 months or so for sure).

Can anyone help me locate the link (or could the person who did the install in their MINI contact me here or via PM)? I'm going to install a PS2 in my MINI and I wanted to take another look at those awesome photos before I start.

Thanks!

Old 06-10-2005, 09:29 AM
npartist
4th Gear
please post the info if you get PMed. I have my navwithtv.com module on its way (should be here next week). I plan on doing a write-up with pics but i would like to see how others did it too.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:19 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Will do...

I'll most likely do a small write-up as well. If things go right for me, the entire hook up should only cost me the price of a AUX input (about $40) and a couple of RCA cables, etc. (not taking into consideration the cost of the PS2 of course). The reason is that I have an OEM backup camera in my MINI already and so there is a video feed for it already in place. Thus, all I need to do is hook into the existing video feed as well as hook in the sound via an AUX input and I should be good to go (fingers crossed).

The nice thing about piggybacking this onto the OEM rear-view camera is that I'll still be able to have video-in-motion. Since the backup camera's video feed works while the car is moving, the PS2's should as well. I think it will be cool to be able to watch DVDs and play PS2 games via the MINI's nav screen (although totally unnecessary I'll admit ). Should make a fun weekend project for me (while the cat's away, the mice will play if you know what I mean ).

Old 06-16-2005, 11:39 AM
npartist
4th Gear
I got my navwithtv2go.com video module in, along with my slim ps2, 2 MINI headrest, 2 5" 16:9 lcd's, power inverter, etc and am going to do the install next sat (having a place help, but i am still going to take pics and write-up )

Old 06-16-2005, 11:44 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
oooo...I want to do this too:smile:

Old 06-16-2005, 03:31 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Well I finally got it hooked up and it's pretty darn cool! If you guys haven't seen the new slim PS2 then you should really check it out. It's so tiny that it fits perfectly in the MINI's glove box (along with the glove box organizer). The install was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be because I ran into a bunch of snags (mostly with the silly AUX input). In the end, I got it working with two relays, an AUX input cable, a couple of audio & video cables, and an AC to DC power inverter (grand total of around $85). The install is pretty sweet looking and it's really fun watching DVD movies and playing PS2 games from the MINI. It even works while the car's in motion too. I'll try and post some pics soon.

BTW, I couldn't find the link to the page I was originally looking for, but here's a link to woodman438's gallery over on MINI2:

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/persona...ery=woodman438

He's got a bunch of nice photos of his TVTuner/PS2 install. Man installing the new slim PS2 sure is a whole lot easier than his install though.

Old 06-25-2005, 07:41 AM
npartist
4th Gear
my mini is in the shop as i type, it will be all installed by early afternoon. Unforunately, their insurance doesn't allow me to be in the shop to watch over them. But i will take some pics after the install. Overall (parts/labor) it is going to be right at $1500. Not bad considering what i got. i will do a small write-up post with pics later today.

Old 06-25-2005, 08:46 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Sweet! I can't wait to see it.

I finished my write-up and submitted it to Motoringfile. Hopfully it will show up soon. Here are a few teaser shots from the write-up:

Old 06-25-2005, 08:57 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Really nice job!!! Man I'm jealous. Good job!!!

Can't wait to see the Motoringfile article.

Richard

Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
Sweet! I can't wait to see it.

I finished my write-up and submitted it to Motoringfile. Hopfully it will show up soon. Here are a few teaser shots from the write-up:

Old 06-25-2005, 09:31 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Thanks Richard. I'm glad to hear that you like it. I'll be the first to admit that it's kind of silly (and how much is it really going to get used), but hey, you only live once and it was really fun figuring it all out.

BTW, in the article, I mention that MINI has an OEM video switchbox that can be used as a video input feed for your MINI. You can buy the switchbox separately (in Canada, U.K., and Germany) for around $200 or so. Thus, if someone wants, they can actually add a video (and audio) input to their MINI for probably less than $300 (and then use it to drive a PlayStation). This is exactly what I've done and I talk a bit more about it in the article.

Old 06-25-2005, 09:50 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$200??? I'm in! Now that's cool. Probably the only caveat for anyone else is that they need the OEM Nav, right?

I've been wanting to do something with my OEM Nav like this, but $500-$1500 was just out of reach for me.

Richard

BTW, in the article, I mention that MINI has an OEM video switchbox that can be used as a video input feed for your MINI. You can buy the switchbox separately (in Canada, U.K., and Germany) for around $200 or so. Thus, if someone wants, they can actually add a video (and audio) input to their MINI for probably less than $300 (and then use it to drive a PlayStation). This is exactly what I've done and I talk a bit more about it in the article.

Old 06-25-2005, 10:38 AM
minimonkey
4th Gear
TheOfficeMaven - That looks very nice. I can't wait for the details in Motoringfile. Is that aftermarket chrome on your dash (around the Nav ect)? It looks sweet!

Old 06-26-2005, 05:19 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
You did exactly what I want to do. I can't wait to see this

Old 06-27-2005, 08:46 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
$200??? I'm in! Now that's cool. Probably the only caveat for anyone else is that they need the OEM Nav, right?

I've been wanting to do something with my OEM Nav like this, but $500-$1500 was just out of reach for me.

Richard
Yes, OEM nav is required I'm afraid.

It looks like there are actually quite a few switchable video input solutions now available for use with the MINI:

1) According to npartist (who just did a PS2 install as well), you can get a video-in-motion unit for around $409 from www.navwithtv.com. I can't get their web site to load up at the moment so I can't comment on what they offer (i.e. I don't know if it has a separate audio input, any way to adjust the brightness, color, contrast, etc.). Here's a small NAM write-up he just did for his install:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=45884

2) Soundgate VIDBMW1 for $350: This one seems like it's the best "bang for the buck" as it offers two switchable video input signals (e.g. one for a PS2 and one for a backup camera, etc.) and it has adjustments for brightness, color, and contrast. The only thing I don't know about it is if it allows video-in motion or not (the audio must go through an AUX input or a BlitzSafe adapter).

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundvidbmw1.html

3) OEM MINI video switchbox for around $200 or so (P/N: 66 21 0 303 085): This is what I used in my MINI (because it came as part of my OEM backup camera). It's by far the cheapest of the bunch, but it doesn't have any adjustments (for brightness, color, contrast, etc.) and so the screen may not look as good as some of the other solutions do. It also probably has the most involved installation as you have to figure out which pins to use for the video input (I've already done this for you though - if you need the info, just post a note here and I'll tell you all I know).

Also, if you use it stand-alone, it doesn't give video-in-motion (or at least I can't figure out how to do it - maybe someone else can though). However, if you use it along with the OEM backup camera's control module, you can indeed get video-in-motion (but that adds another $400 to the install since you have to buy the backup camera - P/N: 66 21 0 392 370). Also, I don't think it's readily available in the U.S. I had to order mine from a German MINI dealer (U.K. and Canadian MINI dealers can also send you one). The audio singnal has to go through an AUX input or a BlitzSafe adapter.

I talk a bit more about this one in my small write-up that should be on Motoringfile.com soon. I'll post a link here as soon as it's available.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:55 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimonkey
... Is that aftermarket chrome on your dash (around the Nav ect)? It looks sweet!
Thanks! The chrome is not aftermarket. All of the chrome you see in my MINI is part of the OEM chromeline interior package that's now available on the newer MINIs. If you search around, I believe that you can find lots of info on retrofitting the chromeline trim pieces into the older MINIs.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:00 AM
hyper
2nd Gear
cool~~~~

but be careful guys... dun play video games while you are driving...

Old 06-30-2005, 07:52 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Hi All,

Okay, the small write-up of my PS2 installation has now been posted on Motoringfile if you'd like to read it:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/06/30/mini_video_input

Enjoy...

Old 06-30-2005, 08:00 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
I've found a fourth video switch...

This one's made by the TVonNav folks and it sells for $449. The nice thing about this one is that it doesn't require an external switch to put it into video mode. It actually integrates with the factory nav display and adds a "Television" menu item that you can select in order to turn it on. It has two separate video inputs - one for your main video input and another for a backup camera - which they sell for an additional $199. I don't know if it offers video-in-motion or not, and I also don't know if it has any way of adjusting brightness, contrast, or color. There's isn't a separate audio input, so you'll have to use an AUX input cable or a BlitzSafe adapter. The installation is fully plug-n-play though.

http://www.tvonnav.com/bmwrgb.html

Old 06-30-2005, 10:52 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Does this unit have a tv tuner built in? Can you watch movies too?:smile:
I've found a fourth video switch...

This one's made by the TVonNav folks and it sells for $449. The nice thing about this one is that it doesn't require an external switch to put it into video mode. It actually integrates with the factory nav display and adds a "Television" menu item that you can select in order to turn it on. It has two separate video inputs - one for your main video input and another for a backup camera - which they sell for an additional $199. I don't know if it offers video-in-motion or not, and I also don't know if it has any way of adjusting brightness, contrast, or color. There's isn't a separate audio input, so you'll have to use an AUX input cable or a BlitzSafe adapter. The installation is fully plug-n-play though.

http://www.tvonnav.com/bmwrgb.html

Old 06-30-2005, 02:58 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Does this unit have a tv tuner built in? Can you watch movies too?:smile:
No it doesn't have a TV tuner. The units with a TV tuner in them are generally well over $1,000. All of the units I've listed here are simply video input feeds. They provide a switched aux video input to your navigation system so that you can hook up any video device that has a video output (such as a video camera, laptop computer, game consol, etc.).

As far as watching movies goes... You still have to have a player device in order to generate the video output to feed it. For example, you can hook up a portable DVD player (or in my case a Sony PlayStation) and then use it to play your movies on. The units themselves are just the video switches and so you still need something to hook up to them (just like the AUX cable is just the audio input for the MINI but you still need an ipod or whatever to deliver the audio output to it).

I hope this helps some...

Old 07-02-2005, 07:39 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Old 07-28-2005, 06:02 PM
S1monLM
3rd Gear
Can you list the part that we need?

Old 07-29-2005, 08:11 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by S1monLM
Can you list the part that we need?
For the parts that I used, take a look at my "MINI Video Switch" write-up on Motoringfile.com (a direct link to the article is given in post #17 above). I used the video switch that is part of the OEM MINI rear-view camera retrofit kit in my setup. In the Motoringfile.com write-up, I list the exact part numbers, and if you go back to the other Motoringfile.com write-up I did for the rear-view camera (which is cross referenced in the MINI Video Switch write-up), you can get the address to the German dealership where I ordered my rear-view camera retrofit kit from. Although, it's also available from Canada and U.k. based MINI dealerships as well.

Other than that, you can setup an auxiliary video switch in your MINI using any of the other products I've referenced in this thread. It just depends on what your looking for (e.g. video-in-motion, color/brightness/contrast adjustments, TV tuner, etc.) and how much you ultimately want to spend.

I hope this helps some...

Old 07-29-2005, 08:14 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Here's another one:

http://www.gnetcanada.com/navvideo-m...t=GNET_RGB_BMW

It runs $399 and has brightness & contrast control. I don't know if it has video-in-motion.

Old 03-10-2006, 09:48 AM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
A few more options I had found earlier, for anyone thinking of doing this:

1. http://www.nav-tv.com/mini.htm (sounds like it costs the most?)
2. http://www.tvandnav2go.com/bmw-tv-navigation.html (no price listed, cheesy backgroud music is great)
3. http://www.gnetcanada.com/navvideo-m...t=GNET_RGB_BMW ($350)
4. http://www.avelectronic.com/products.htm (budget model is $250)
5. http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?request=product.details&categoryid=12&pr oductid=379&usereferrer=1 ($350)
6. I picked up the NavTv module on ebay with plug and play MINI adapter for $160!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior TV/Video On Nav Install Pictures Help