Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Feels like it's going to stall

Old 05-04-2005, 11:22 AM
mborto
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feels like it's going to stall

Tried to do a search but couldn't find a match.
This is my situation (2005 MCS no engine modifications):

First thing in the morning or when the car has been sitting for a long time, when I start the engine, the car feels like it's going to stall. The revs drop very low, the car shudders and then the revs pick up. When I drive off, when I first press the gas, the car jolts once or twice before settling down. It was doing this when I first bought it, the dealer didn't know what it was (after trying to reprogram it) and suggested I try changing fuels. It stopped doing it for about four months and has now started again as bad as ever. The type of fuel doesn't seem to matter. Also, it's not the cold, I live in the tropics. Any ideas? any suggested search strings?
Thanks,
Mborto

Old 05-04-2005, 11:33 AM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 05 has done this since new

Old 05-04-2005, 11:38 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of threads here about this problem. Reprogramming the ECU should fix it. If it doesn't, take it back and have them do it again. And again. Eventually the lemon law will buy you a new car.

This problem is common, but it is NOT normal, and it is not acceptable in a new car. Too many people are letting this slide. It is BMW/MINI's fault that the engine management software is screwy, and the consequences are their responsibility, not yours. Please, take it back to dealer as many times as it takes for them to get it right.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:41 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Old 05-04-2005, 01:17 PM
eurekame
1st Gear
Just wanted to chime in. My 05 MCS has dipped its idle several times now ( 5100 miles so far ). I will tell the dealership about it when I go in for the 10,000 mile check up. I have not been able to pin down the exact circumstances. However it usually happens shortly after startup at the first red light. My first thought was the ECU switching from a cold start to a running condition.

Old 05-04-2005, 01:23 PM
C4
Banned
Where in the "tropics" are you at? Florida?

The ECU programming in these cars still seems not to like high ambiental levels of humidity. When you have heat and humidity, the computer goes henwire.

It seems to me that fuel is also part of the problem and when gas stations switch from "Winter" to "Summer" blend the ECU has a hard time readjusting to the new fuel quality.

Maybe all you can do for now is to switch to a different gas brand/station and see if it continues. Trust me, this is strictly a software problem.

Notice that when the temps are cooler and the humidity is low, there are no issues.

I have seen this problem, not a biggie as it does not affect performance or driveability but annoying nonetheless.

Originally Posted by mborto

First thing in the morning or when the car has been sitting for a long time, when I start the engine, the car feels like it's going to stall. The revs drop very low, the car shudders and then the revs pick up. When I drive off, when I first press the gas, the car jolts once or twice before settling down. It was doing this when I first bought it, the dealer didn't know what it was (after trying to reprogram it) and suggested I try changing fuels. It stopped doing it for about four months and has now started again as bad as ever. The type of fuel doesn't seem to matter. Also, it's not the cold, I live in the tropics. Any ideas? any suggested search strings?
Thanks,
Mborto

Old 05-04-2005, 01:26 PM
C4
Banned
Chris the problem is not severe enough to warrant "Lemon Law". It is mostly an annoyance as it goes away almost immediately. Indeed this is an unacceptable problem and it has its roots in the software programming. 2 culprits are the ECU programming and the fuel quality. Here in Florida the weather is already very warm (85-90F) and the humidity has gone up above 90% in the past few days. It ain't Spring anymore for us.

Originally Posted by chrisnl
Lots of threads here about this problem. Reprogramming the ECU should fix it. If it doesn't, take it back and have them do it again. And again. Eventually the lemon law will buy you a new car.

This problem is common, but it is NOT normal, and it is not acceptable in a new car. Too many people are letting this slide. It is BMW/MINI's fault that the engine management software is screwy, and the consequences are their responsibility, not yours. Please, take it back to dealer as many times as it takes for them to get it right.

Old 05-04-2005, 01:28 PM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by eurekame
Just wanted to chime in. My 05 MCS has dipped its idle several times now ( 5100 miles so far ). I will tell the dealership about it when I go in for the 10,000 mile check up. I have not been able to pin down the exact circumstances. However it usually happens shortly after startup at the first red light. My first thought was the ECU switching from a cold start to a running condition.
My friend, this is related to the software, gas quality and the Florida heat/humidity factor.

Old 05-04-2005, 01:36 PM
mborto
1st Gear
Tropics as in the Cayman Islands.

Gonna try the upgrade to 39.2 for the ECU and then try the reset that I was able to find on another thread. If that fails, third-party aftermarket software, any recommendations?

Old 05-04-2005, 01:39 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Mine has done this since new also (2600 miles). I'm flashing to MTH in a couple days, hopefully it gets cured. The dealer said there is nothing they can do.

Old 05-04-2005, 01:40 PM
C4
Banned
Actually I hate to tell ya that this is a very old problem that MINI has never been able to resolve. My ex-2004 MCS with the latest 39.2 software used to do it from time to time. The factory programming can't deal with the heat and humidity of the Caribbean basin.

Tropics as in the Cayman Islands.

Gonna try the upgrade to 39.2 for the ECU and then try the reset that I was able to find on another thread. If that fails, third-party aftermarket software, any recommendations?

Old 05-04-2005, 01:45 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
I had this problem on my Cooper, it tended to show up in the summer more, and it, too, seemed to happen at the "first red light". The engine recovered every time. A software update cured it.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:59 PM
danmcg
2nd Gear
I just had it happen to me this am. First red light out of my development. Took me by surprise. The lady behind me honked 'cause I was monitoring the tach carefully and didn't see the light change. :smile:

Sunny Fort Lauderdale. Def makes for some hot and humid weather. And rain. This damn rain.

Old 05-05-2005, 05:11 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
With my car, the problem became most pronounced when the winter got really cold (with corresponding low humidity), and I was just starting out on very cold mornings. Go figure.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:34 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
I'm in the Tampa area, and mine also seems to happen on the colder mornings. It always does it when first starting, never afer I've started driving.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:43 AM
RenaultF1
4th Gear
I'm in Maine...and I would say the same about happening on the 1st cold start only. It's done it the last 2 mornings (in the high 20s here overnight). When I bought the car in October, they warned me about this and said it has something to do with winter vs. summer gas (I'm not exactly clear on the lyrics here). But anyway, they said to avoid it in the cold, put in middle grade fuel.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:31 PM
C4
Banned
When humidity goes down, problem goes way.....hmmmmmm Definetely this is a problem of ECU Software vs Summer gas vs high humidity.

MINIUSA?

Old 05-06-2005, 05:04 AM
NealW
2nd Gear
My ’05 MCS has been dropping the idle and stumbling after a cold start. The behavior started about a month ago at approximately 2000 miles. This time frame also corresponds the mornings getting a little bit warmer here. (My garage temperature is probably about 50 degrees F. and above.) The suggestions above about doing a software reset made me very hopeful. The symptoms feel like a car that has learned (incorrectly) that when the coolant or air temperature has reached a certain temperature that it can begin to lean the mixture. When the car begins to stumble it either adds more gas or opens the throttle to compensate.

I reset the software yesterday afternoon at lunch. The car started fine at the end of work, but this morning I had the same stumble 15 to 20 seconds after startup.

I suppose it is time for a trip to the dealer (1hr 45 min), but it feels like is one of those problems where you have to leave your car overnight and the next day they tell you they couldn’t find any problems.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:46 PM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
!!!!!!

I've had it feel like it was trying to stall out a FEW times too many. Took it in, they said i was already up to date (since i bsically just bought the mini) and it tried to stall on them, but they let it sit and it came back up to normal. I told them every time it did it, i'd tap the gas. They said not to once and see if it recovers.

Two more times later, it recovered itself back to normal. Then i go to an autocross event, and i'm sitting in the hatch, on the folded down seat (sitting straight up... i'm little :smile: ) reading a magazine, and the a/c is on the "1" setting, car is running, and shifter is in neutral... e brake up.

It tries to stall, so i drop the magazine, crawl forward and turn down my music and check the temp outside... it's about 75-80 IIRC, and still early AM. It tried to recover itself, but failed. I actually stalled out, check engine light came on, and i had to pull the key back to the off position, then back to on to start it again. I forgot about it until i read this thread... that was a week or two ago, so i need to call the dealership. Great.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:58 PM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
I called to see what i should do... and as soon as i got someone from service on the phone, i started to say my name, and they cut me off saying they need to put me on hold.

minute later i say i came in for service complaining about the car trying to stall... ya'll tried it out, it came back to normal, up to date software blah blah... i was sitting in neutral with the car running and it STALLED. He was like "hmmm... is your check engine light on?" i said it WAS when it stalled out. It's not on now. He said 'well if you bring it in, and there's no light on, we're back to square one. If the light comes back on, call us and we'll schedule an appointment." yay.

I'll bring it up when i go in for my next oil change... the way i rack up miles, probably next month. Nice.

Old 07-15-2005, 01:26 PM
minibeel
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
I am in south central germany. same stuff, different continent. it bogs down from time to time. temps usually around 80F, kinda' humid too. I hope it is ecu problem. maybe aftermarket flash can smooth it out? bmw did update the ecu once for sure. no change. but, heck, it does jump out of its skin when you pin the throttle on the autobahn... that's all I ask.
dan

Old 07-15-2005, 01:28 PM
minibeel
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
do you think the humidity jacks with the o2 sensor?
dan

Old 07-15-2005, 10:13 PM
driver centric
2nd Gear
So am I correct in reading here and in other threads that this problem has been solved on non-S Coopers by a dealer ECU reflash? Anyone with an 05 Cooper have this issue? Thanks for any help.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:38 PM
meanboy
6th Gear

Thanks,
Mborto
Didn't read all of the responses but this is nothing new. It kind of lopes at idle and if you blip the throttle it goes back to normal? I've read there isn't any real solution at this point although some people might have offered some above.

Mine has been doing that forever. I have the MTH ecu upload since last year and it hasn't made a difference.

Welcome to the world of MCS!

edit: I live in S.F., CA and there is a little humidity once and awhile and it does seem more pronounced on warmer days. Well, warmer days in S.F. is the high 60's.

Old 07-16-2005, 06:40 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minibeel
do you think the humidity jacks with the o2 sensor?
dan
possibly...that and warm temps. My car does that each time
the RH is over 65%. temps are usually above 70F when it does this.
It doesn't do it in the cold and dry air. it kinda helps if you turn your
key to the on position and wait about 5 sec before cranking it.

I have a thermometer in the garage with RH gauge, whatever you
call that meter...:smile:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Feels like it's going to stall