Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Headlight Washers

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 08:10 AM
sirron
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read yesterday on this site that all all of the halogen ( sorry, Xenon) headlights have washers. I read the owners manual twice to find reference to how to activate them and can find nothing, zip, zero, nada. HELP! Thanks. Ron.

LTL YELO

Old 01-20-2003, 08:13 AM
cgehring
2nd Gear
They will automatically activate when you wash the windshield. Some users have siad you need to have the headlights on at the same time. After the first washing, they will activate every third washing of the windshield.

Old 01-20-2003, 08:16 AM
X2Board
5th Gear
I thought the washers only came with the Xenon's?

X2

Old 01-20-2003, 08:19 AM
sirron
5th Gear
>>I thought the washers only came with the Xenon's?
>>
>>X2

You are quite correct, thanks for helping. Ron.

Old 01-20-2003, 08:22 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
Turn headlights on and activate the front windscreen washers. Look on the trim ring around the headlight, and if there is a semi-circle cut-out on the inside (towards the MINI badge, me thinks ?) on both, that is the headlight washer. If you have a solid trim ring...then there's no washer... :???:

Old 01-20-2003, 08:32 AM
sirron
5th Gear
So it's not true that ALL MINIs with Xenon headlights have washers! My half-moon inserts are solid. Ah well, I haven't had to use my windshield washers yet....in over a year. Ron. I do have a headlight washer tank, wierd!

LTL YELO

Old 01-20-2003, 08:40 AM
cgehring
2nd Gear
>>So it's not true that ALL MINIs with Xenon headlights have washers! My half-moon inserts are solid. Ah well, I haven't had to use my windshield washers yet....in over a year. Ron.

Ron - Just took a close look at Lil Yellow and she most definately does not have the washers. I wouldn't sweat it though, most people here have complained about them spraying all over the car, and you have no control when they come on. Are those Zenon Headlights or Halogens? I can't tell the difference .

Either way, Lil Yellow is a beauty.

Old 01-20-2003, 08:45 AM
letsmotor
4th Gear
All the Xenon lights have a little vent that says "Xenon Technology" in the light housing. I thought the washer system is part of this xenon system.

Old 01-20-2003, 08:53 AM
Nobull60
6th Gear
I just wish the darn things wouldn't come on when you pull the washer for the windshield. It would be better if there was a seperate control for it.

Old 01-20-2003, 08:55 AM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard that by law the Xenon headlights had to be self leveling and a separate cleaning spray. Due to the intensity of the light they have to be level or they would blind on-coming traffic and if the lens is dirty the light might be deflected into on-coming traffic.
Just my $0.02

Old 01-20-2003, 09:03 AM
rex
Neutral
The Xenon Headlights have powerwasher jets only. They work only when the lights and windshield washers are BOTH ON at the same time. MINIs with powerwasher jets would also have a seperate reservoir obove the right fender wheel well under the hood.

rex@keeler.com

Old 01-20-2003, 09:03 AM
cgehring
2nd Gear
Ron,

I think you may have halogens. I was comparing your headlights to Xenons and they look different to me.

Your Car

Xenon Headlights

Did you pay for the xenons? If so, you may want to check out this thread. Mini2Go ordered Xenons and they never came.

Mini Talk :: Xenon headlight option

Old 01-20-2003, 02:22 PM
sirron
5th Gear
>>The Xenon Headlights have powerwasher jets only. They work only when the lights and windshield washers are BOTH ON at the same time. MINIs with powerwasher jets would also have a seperate reservoir obove the right fender wheel well under the hood.
>>
>>rex@keeler.com

I do have the reservoir on the right side, it's marked headlight washer. When I turn my lights on they come on slowly and then jump up to bright. I guess my last question is...Do halogens act this way, or just Xenons? Thanks. Ron.

10 minutes later...Well, when all else fails read the manual...only it's not in the manual; but I checked and in the headlight its says Xenon technology. I do have solid little silver halfmoons though with no obvious way for them to spray.. Thanks everyone for the help. Ron.

Old 01-20-2003, 02:38 PM
jsun
6th Gear
Ron, you're describing behaviour that's related to Xenon headlights (jumping up in brightness, etc.). From the photo, I really couldn't say if they're Xenons or not, but the way you describe them, they sure seem to be.

What you definitely DON'T have are the washers. Which is very curious since you obviously have the tank. ???!!!

Weird.

Old 01-20-2003, 02:46 PM
cgehring
2nd Gear
>>>>The Xenon Headlights have powerwasher jets only. They work only when the lights and windshield washers are BOTH ON at the same time. MINIs with powerwasher jets would also have a seperate reservoir obove the right fender wheel well under the hood.
>>>>
>>>>rex@keeler.com
>>
>>I do have the reservoir on the right side, it's marked headlight washer. When I turn my lights on they come on slowly and then jump up to bright. I guess my last question is...Do halogens act this way, or just Xenons? Thanks. Ron.
>>

All I can say to that is WEIRD Do they auto-level as well? If you go to http://www.miniusa.com and build you own mini, the description of Xenon headlamps is as follows: "Headlamps with Xenon gas provide exceptionally crisp illumination and have more than twice the power of conventional halogen systems. Retractable power washers help keep the headlamp surface clean to maximize visibility".

My next question would be did you pay for Xenons? If so, you need to talk to your dealer and make sure you got what you paid for. The Xenon package is part of the Sport package on the MCS, but not on the MC, so you would have had to purchase them seperatly ($500) to get them. Check your window sticker or invioce to see exactly what you paid for and if you see Xenons, go to the dealer and complain.

Old 01-20-2003, 03:01 PM
sirron
5th Gear
>>All I can say to that is WEIRD Do they auto-level as well?

Yes, they have auto levellers. I suppose I'll just have to try out the washers with my wife standing in front to get squirted if by chance my solid halfmoons are really sprayers.

Old 01-20-2003, 03:40 PM
jsun
6th Gear
Well, you can ask the missus to stand in front of the car as much as you like but she won't be squirted from anything coming from your headlamps...looking at your pic, you definitely do not have the washers!

I recall that in early summer 2002 there was a statement that the factory had run out of some part of the Xenon system hardware (never knew what part) and that even if you did order Xenons as part of the sport package you weren't going to get them. This is what my dealer told me in July 2002, and I fully expected to get my MCS with sport package and NO Xenons...but lo and behold, when the car came in, it had Xenons and the (supposedly requisite) washers. The explanation was that the shortage had been remedied and cars were again being built properly. Perhaps your car got caught 1/2 way in this snafu and you got the lights but not the washers??

Either way, I'd go back to the dealer and see if they can get you your washers installed after-the-fact. You seem to have the tank...might as well get the rest of the system. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2003, 05:30 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
I am relatively certain that this is sirron's LTLYELO:

Sure looks like the washers are there to me. Of course, we can't see if all the "guts" are behind there - but things look kosher up front.

Ron, the half circles actually will pop straight out (kindof like an R2D2 thing) when they function - you can't see the nozzle until they pop out, the "halfmoons" are supposed to be solid.

At one time I had a video that showed them working, but it didn't survive the transition to this PC.... I downloaded it from the web but I don't recall where, so maybe someone else has it?

Old 01-20-2003, 09:12 PM
sirron
5th Gear
Well that was an informative thread. Thanks everyone. I'll let you know what happened after I try the washers. I'll do it right before I wash the MINI next.
Over and under, sorry, over and out.

Old 01-21-2003, 04:38 PM
sirron
5th Gear
It's me again, well I do have the Xenons and the washers, so the info. about the little haf-moons was incorrect. Mine are solid. Squirted over everything, then washed LTL YELO.. This car is almost as much fun to wash as it is to drive.. Just love it!

LTL YELO

Old 01-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI

>>Ron, the half circles actually will pop straight out (kindof like an R2D2 thing) when they function - you can't see the nozzle until they pop out, the "halfmoons" are supposed to be solid.
>>

Which info was wrong? Maybe it was the interpretation?

Old 01-21-2003, 06:49 PM
sirron
5th Gear
>>
>>>>Ron, the half circles actually will pop straight out (kindof like an R2D2 thing) when they function - you can't see the nozzle until they pop out, the "halfmoons" are supposed to be solid.
>>>>
>>
>>
>>Which info was wrong? Maybe it was the interpretation?

I was wrong in my interpretation. Everything is A OK.