Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Window "Anti-pinch" window feature poll

Old 01-16-2005, 03:01 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Window "Anti-pinch" window feature poll

Hi everyone. We have a supplier who is working on an anti pinch window feature for the MINI and was trying to get feedback on this modification. For those who don't know what that is, it is the feature that will roll down if something causes the interference when rolling the window up, such as a childs hand or something. It's pretty common in most cars these days, but not on the MINI.

Here are the potential specs:

1. Single touch UP and DOWN.
2. Anti pinch with very low force sensor.
3. Auto Ventilation
4. Global Access ( with any remote control locking system ) Anti Pinch feature.
5. Auto Power Regulator to the motor ( Range from 9 V to 16 V ) increase the Voltage from std.12 V incase of friction along the glass panels.
6. Operating temp. range from -30 to +85 Degress C
7. Device size 72.499 x 36.4 x 36 mm.

So, here are a few question we were hoping to get some feedback on:

1- Is worth pursuing and if so what would a good retail price be $$?

2- How much effort is a reasonable amount to ask a consumer as far as install goes?

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Last edited by OutMotoring; 01-16-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:11 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aaron,
I assume this is Chandran that I sent on to you? His product sounds interesting - in combination with the MINI circuit it would allow safe single click auto-up ...

Old 01-16-2005, 06:15 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Hi Ian, yes that's the person. I thought this would be the best way to gauge interest in the product as it seemed a bit hard to guess on stuff like this...hopefully he can get some feedback that will help direct the project...

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Old 01-16-2005, 06:21 PM
TwitchINC
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess my first question would be if it would fit an 02, or any year for that matter !? Can it be installed by the regular guy? Thanx

Old 01-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Azwed
5th Gear
I would be interested in it. Since the window toggles are far away from where you rhand naturaly rests it would be nice to have auto up.

Old 01-16-2005, 06:46 PM
lotsie
Banned
Auto up would be nice,but like most things,hard to get up here in the Great White North

Old 01-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even with my big ears, I have never gotten them caught in the window when rolling it up.. But if being pinched by my car windows was a real problem for me, the pain would probably lead me to modify my behavior for free before I spent money to modify my MINI.

Auto-up windows would be nice, but I am rarely in such a rush that I do not have time to hold the button for a few seconds.

In order for me to consider such a device, it would need to be inexpensive (less than $50).

Installation should be very simple and straight-forward, so that a novice enthusiast could install it in less than an hour with the simplest hand tools, preferably without requiring the disassembly of any interior panels.

My previous VW GTI had the anti-pinch feature and it was only used once when my salesman demonstrated it. I only remembered it again now that you mentioned it.

There are definitely people who will want this, but I cannot imagine it being an incredibly hot seller.

Old 01-16-2005, 08:46 PM
K9MINI
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If you have Dogs or kids this mod would be a must. I wanted to do auto up but I am afraid my Dogs might get caught up at the last second. I like the idea a lot. It would be nice to use a remote to close the car up also.

Old 01-17-2005, 04:57 AM
D.D.
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have already installed an auto up device that has been offered for quite sometime now. While it does not feature the pinch feature......you're not exactly tailking a large cabin that you cannot control people/animals from getting into the closing window. That being said...............I feel a terrific feature would be a remote device that would open the sunroof and windows to let heat out after being parked in the sun. Our Benzs and X 3 both have this feature and we use it quite often.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:47 AM
TulsaMINI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by D.D.
....I feel a terrific feature would be a remote device that would open the sunroof and windows to let heat out after being parked in the sun. Our Benzs and X 3 both have this feature and we use it quite often.
You already have that feature or you can have your remote programmed for it. Click and hold the unlock button on your key remote -- sunroof and windows will open if you have the feature programmed. If not, the dealership can set it up. :smile:

Old 01-17-2005, 10:08 AM
D.D.
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks...............I just called and am having it programmed tomorrow! :smile: :smile:

Old 01-17-2005, 02:35 PM
LombardStreet
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having a manual transmission, I'd like the auto-up feature, especially at tollbooths and drive-through windows, where it ALWAYS seems to be raining! (Very annoying to have to shift and steer and look for merging traffic while holding the toggle up for several seconds! Or the alternative - sit there getting honked at by the impatient person behind you while you're waiting for the window to roll all the way up!) Lots of tollbooths and drive-throughs here in No. California!

Ian's circuit offers a lot of additional features (track mode-DSC, garage door capability, probably some other things I don't remember) for $50. (Or has he raised prices?) The only thing his lacks is the safety feature. I don't have small kids or pets, so I don't really need this. And since I haven't ordered Ian's circuit, I guess this one would have to be quite a bit less than $50 for me to buy it. But if the price were, say, $30 or less, (and I could install it myself and not need to pay the dealer to activate something) I'd buy it.

Or - I don't know - I'm still thinking about Ian's circuit. It wouldn't be possible to get you two guys together, would it?

Old 01-17-2005, 02:43 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LombardStreet
Or - I don't know - I'm still thinking about Ian's circuit. It wouldn't be possible to get you two guys together, would it?
Aaron & I have chatted in the past, and I passed the designer of the anti-pinch on to Aaron because I thought he might be interested.
I don't think there is any direct relation between my MINI circuit and Chandrans anti-pinch device. I would guess that Chandrans design would be installed in the door, close to the motors - but until I (hopefully) get some tech details from him, I won't know for sure.

Without knowing the complexity of the design, this is only a guess, but I think below $40 per window is very unlikely. Probably more like $50+ per window.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:25 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
I think the pinching issue is overblown, but then again I have no kids or dogs. Yes, a child getting his fingers pinched in the window wouldn't be a picnic, but it's certainly not life-threatening. And if the kid is at all intelligent, it would only happen once.

I have Ian's circuit in my MC and it's great. You have to be in the vehicle to reach the toggle, and hopefully you've buckled your kids in anyway so they're not sticking their heads out the window.

Looking back on my childhood, I remember riding bikes without a helmet, sitting in the beds of moving pickup trucks, and having an absolute blast playing with lawn darts. It's a miracle I survived...

Old 01-18-2005, 09:32 AM
early_apex
6th Gear
We've got Ian's circuit and personally I wouldn't pay much extra for an anti-pinch feature, and would prefer to not have it if it added a layer of complexity to the install. We have kids and dogs, and for us the lack of an anti-pinch hasn't been a concern.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:55 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
Don't the windows already have anti-pinch? I would think it is a requirement of all power windowed cars. (Please don't test with your hand!)

Old 01-20-2005, 07:19 PM
baloo1108
Neutral
Thanks Mr. Aaron and all MINI Users

I am getting all the questions answered by the coming week.
1. Yes, the fixing is very easy and can be done within 20 minutes, if removing the door panel can be done within 5 minutes.
2. The price is reasonable, except that I am yet to get the IMPORT duty structure. Do you have any idea?.
3. This device is a pc. per door and Global Access works by either Remote locking or can be connected to the Switch, such that if the key is removed, Global Access gets activated and closes all the Windows, with Anti-Pinch feature.
4. Detailed Circuit diagram and Physical installation - video is getting ready and should be with me by next week. Will keep you posted.
5. Request information on MINI's - What type of connector / plugs are used a) To Motor b) At Toggler switch and c) Direct Power source at door.

If information on Import Duty structure is made available, landed-duty-paid value can be calculated.

Thanks to all MINI owners who have shared their views with me. Details will follow shortly. Safe Driving and Happy weekend...

Chandran Baloo

Old 01-20-2005, 07:38 PM
baloo1108
Neutral
Power Window

Originally Posted by jwardell
Don't the windows already have anti-pinch? I would think it is a requirement of all power windowed cars. (Please don't test with your hand!)
Hi.

Power windows are supposed to have it, but many a models don't. Details of the DEVICE will be sent to you shortly.

Safe Driving and enjoy you MINI

Chandran Baloo
mail chandran1108@yahoo.co.in

Old 01-20-2005, 07:55 PM
baloo1108
Neutral
Originally Posted by OutMotoring
Hi everyone. We have a supplier who is working on an anti pinch window feature for the MINI and was trying to get feedback on this modification. For those who don't know what that is, it is the feature that will roll down if something causes the interference when rolling the window up, such as a childs hand or something. It's pretty common in most cars these days, but not on the MINI.

Here are the potential specs:

1. Single touch UP and DOWN.
2. Anti pinch with very low force sensor.
3. Auto Ventilation
4. Global Access ( with any remote control locking system ) Anti Pinch feature.
5. Auto Power Regulator to the motor ( Range from 9 V to 16 V ) increase the Voltage from std.12 V incase of friction along the glass panels.
6. Operating temp. range from -30 to +85 Degress C
7. Device size 72.499 x 36.4 x 36 mm.

So, here are a few question we were hoping to get some feedback on:

1- Is worth pursuing and if so what would a good retail price be $$?

2- How much effort is a reasonable amount to ask a consumer as far as install goes?
Thanks Mr.Aaron for putting me on to this group of MINI users.

Price wise , yes it is going to be reasonable and I am only waiting for info on US import duty on such a device from India.

As for installation, it takes less than 20 minutes, provided, opening the door-pads are easy. Require details on the clippings / plugs / sockets in MINI's at the Motor end, Toggler Switch end and Direct Power end. This will help us get the installation done much faster and clean, if we can fix ther socket at factory level itself. If you have the details, do let me know. In the mean time getting a CD done on installation and Circuit diagram, kindly give a weeks time on this.

One other info need to make the device work to specs, what is the length of the front / back glass panel ( height ) in inches, secondly what is the total length of the glass of a MINI front and back seperately.

Thanks once again

Chandran Baloo

mail chandran1108@yahoo.co.in

Old 02-21-2005, 11:53 PM
baloo1108
Neutral
Anti-Pinch Power Window Regulator - Genie Gard

Originally Posted by TwitchINC
I guess my first question would be if it would fit an 02, or any year for that matter !? Can it be installed by the regular guy? Thanx
Dear Sir,

Attached is the tech details on Genie Gard the Anti-pinch Power Window Regulator.

Thanks

Chandran Baloo

Attached Files
File Type: doc
GenieGard Final.doc (584.0 KB, 120 views)
Old 02-22-2005, 08:37 PM
wkndracr
4th Gear
I have Ian's MINI circuit in my car, and although, I personally feel safe without it, i think it would be a good idea for people with small kids/pets. Interestingly enough, I tried to stop a window in a 3 series as it was auto-upping (is that a word?) and it would definitely take a lot of force to make it stop. On a related note, I've also tested the power sliding doors on the Ford Windstars, and to make that reverse the other way, you practically have to put your whole body weight into it! Not safe at all, especially for a minivan!