R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MINI salesman salary?

Old 08-10-2004, 05:02 PM
nbame786
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI salesman salary?

how much to the salesman at MINI actually earn? i'm a waiter at chili's and i have good people skills, and since there is a dealership right next to my college i am thinking that i might apply to become a salesperson. there are a few young guys there so i figure i might be able to do well, that is, if they do well at all. i know there are huge waiting lists....etc., so is it something good for a college student who is in love with MINI's to pursue? possibly? i don't know what the commissions are so if anyone out there sells, or will advise me, let's hear it! happy motoring!!!

Old 08-10-2004, 06:11 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it depends on how many vehicles you can actually sell.

I was never a car salesman, but from what others tell me, the
range is so wide from person to person.

Old 08-10-2004, 06:49 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Dont think of them as car sales men. That reminds me of plad wearing guys trying to sell junk. I think of them as:

1. Test drive couarse advisor
2. Order taker
3. Hand holder for those long months of waiting.

Old 08-10-2004, 06:51 PM
GreyStreet
3rd Gear
Do MINI MAs make commissions?

Old 08-10-2004, 07:00 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think my MA told me he doesn't work on commissions. Or was that his manager.

Old 08-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Califzeph
5th Gear
Our sales guy said that he doesn't get commission. Straight salary only!

Old 08-10-2004, 07:19 PM
scobib
5th Gear
Our local MA's in our club told us they work on straight salary, too, but I have no idea how much they make... there's a regional quota they have NO problem ever meeting, and I think some of the dealerships offer additional incentives after quotas are exceeded...
The salespeople on the BMW side make considerably more money, though, I do know that!

Old 08-10-2004, 08:28 PM
LagunaSol
4th Gear
While it would seem like the easiest sales job in the world (take order - tell customer how many months he/she will have to wait), they must not make much. The last time I called my dealership the sales advisor answered the phone saying the name of another business. "Oops," he said, "Sorry, that's my other job at the mall."

Very reassuring.

Old 08-10-2004, 08:34 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Each dealership is different how they handle either salary vs commision or whatever in between.

They have very few cars to sell so supply is really low and demand is still high.

In order to stay in business the dealership has to clear enough profit each year.

Old 08-10-2004, 09:35 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The MAs at Long Beach MINI in SoCal pool their sales and split the money. They help each other out. Of course, because they're the only SoCal dealership selling at MSRP, they have a long waitlist and no worries about sales. I've bought both of my MINIs from them. :smile:

Clo/Wanda

Old 08-11-2004, 05:24 AM
Redleg13
3rd Gear
there is, and always will be, a huge opportunity to make lots (six figures) of money in sales. All you need is a product that you believe in and have passion for and good people skills. The idea of making your living on a commission scares many people away while the comforting promise of a salary (albeit a meager one) convinces too many to sell themselves short (pardon the pun).

Old 08-11-2004, 05:49 AM
BuckeyeMCS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Redleg13
there is, and always will be, a huge opportunity to make lots (six figures) of money in sales. All you need is a product that you believe in and have passion for and good people skills. The idea of making your living on a commission scares many people away while the comforting promise of a salary (albeit a meager one) convinces too many to sell themselves short (pardon the pun).
Well said Redleg

Old 08-11-2004, 06:14 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Easier said than done.

Old 08-11-2004, 06:28 AM
Redleg13
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
Easier said than done.
isn't that the way life is? but ask any good salesman (or woman) if they like what they do, and they'll tell you everytime (with sincere enthusiasm) that they have the best job on earth!

Old 08-11-2004, 06:49 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Classic MINI in Ohio is straight salary. No commissions. AND, the sales manager will NOT let MAs own a MINI.

Old 08-11-2004, 06:51 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
I have a feeling that MA's do get commission, regardless of what they tell us, the customer.

In 2002, I placed an order for an MC, that at time of arrival could not pick up and I remember the MA being very upset about it. I was a salesman before as well and could tell that it was a "i already spent this commission money" type of upset

In either case, a MINI salesman's job is quite possibly the easiest sales job on the planet.

"i used to be a salesman, it's a tough racket" ... (name that movie)

Old 08-11-2004, 06:59 AM
CharlesWil
5th Gear
A-B-C! Always Be Closing!
Charles

Old 08-11-2004, 07:02 AM
TomAiello
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WannaMini_
...the sales manager will NOT let MAs own a MINI.
What? That seems ridiculous. Wouldn't you want people who loved the car enough to own one?

Old 08-11-2004, 07:04 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Good sales people are psychologically very sneaky. :smile:

isn't that the way life is? but ask any good salesman (or woman) if they like what they do, and they'll tell you everytime (with sincere enthusiasm) that they have the best job on earth!

Old 08-11-2004, 07:41 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
They may be paid a bonus by the response of the post-sale survey results. My MA told me to please give him rave reviews because that was how he was paid. ....so I told them how he really was.

Old 08-11-2004, 07:42 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
:smile: Here's my input from what I know.

Before we moved from VA to CA, I was offered a position as an MA at Sterling MINI. The package was: base salary of $40K, $100 per car when it was DELIVERED, and 50% on all aftermarket goodies sold......but like others have said, each dealership probably has a different structure....

Cheers!

Donna :smile:

Old 08-11-2004, 07:58 AM
pbraun
5th Gear
I am a Motoring Advisor. The salary and commission rates do differ widely from dealer to dealer, and from region to region.

Unlike what many say, if you really work at it, it is not necessarily an "easy" job.
There are many things involved in being a Motoring Advisor, ranging from part time marriage counselor in some cases, to financial advisor in others. In some instances, less oftern now as we are 2 years into it, the car does "sell itself". I believe that the more people know about the car, and what it can do, the more likely they are to purchase. The MINI does not fit every individual's needs, it all depends on a load of factors.
Being a MA, however, has been and continues to be for me, a wonderful experience! :smile: You probably won't make in the 6 figures, but will make do , again, depending on your needs.
My advise to anyone considering such an occupation : assess your own needs and wants in life, move on from there. Talk to the store manager and find out want his/her needs are in the way of additional sales help.
p.s. I have been driving a MINI for 2 years now, and was #1 on the deposit list at the BMW dealership before they even knew they would win the franchise to sell MINI. I thought it would be fun to work there, so talked with the manager, and became the first employee for the new MINI showroom.
Just my opinion.
Best of luck and Happy Motoring, as always,

Old 08-11-2004, 08:06 AM
MiniChristina
4th Gear
I am a MA.

When I started selling MINIs 2 years ago, I was straight salary. A few months later they switched us to commision. I believe there might still be a couple of dealers that do pay thier MA's salary but most are straight commision.

It's a huge range in pay from dealer to dealer. Your best bet is to go speak to the sales manager. If he offers you an interview he will probably tell you the average pay. Almost 100% of motoring advisors work 45-60 hours a week. Something you might not be able to do while attending school. Check out a flexible hours job like starbucks.

As far as the comment "it's the easiest job on earth". It's generally easy because it's a ton of fun. But it's not always a bowl of cherries. I am constantly disrespected...People view us as shady sales people, rememebering movies like Suckers... we only care about our commisions and we don't give a crap about our customers. A lot of customers come in with defensive attitude becaus eof stereotypes. Please people... treat us with a little respect. Ok... rant over :smile:

Old 08-11-2004, 08:06 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Classic MINI in Ohio is straight salary. No commissions. AND, the sales manager will NOT let MAs own a MINI.
WTF??!! At Cincinnati Mini, down state on I-71 from Cleveland, the very first MINI was purchased by one of the service techs, and numerous MINI employees own MINIS, including the MA who sold me mine (an '04 MCS in Black if memory serves). I can't believe that MAs in Cleveland are prohibited from owning MINIs.

Old 08-11-2004, 02:38 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
Why would the sales manager care if the MAs owned a Mini?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R50/53 MINI salesman salary?