Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Tired of replacing in-bumper fog lights... External/grill-mount FOG lights?

Old 10-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Slyp Dawg
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tired of replacing in-bumper fog lights... External/grill-mount FOG lights?

I'll start this off by saying that I HAVE in fact read the low beams/driving lights thread, and learned about driving lights and their brightness/beam pattern. This lead me to wonder, are there any external mount, round lights that have the proper beam pattern to be used in lieu of fog lights? What i want to accomplish is to be able to remove the in-bumper fog lights and get an external/lower grill mount light to serve the same function, but be less easily damaged.

I have no interest in blinding oncoming cars, but I also have no interest in needing to replace my bumper-mount fog lights, or the plastic panel to which they mount, every time some small woodland creature wants to play chicken with me on a dark/narrow road. If there aren't any commercially available, external mount fog lights on the market, how would one go about changing the beam pattern of a driving light to that of the typical fog light?

I don't intend to habitually run with my front fogs on, but there are instances where I need more light than the low beams can provide, but can't turn on my high beams due to oncoming traffic or traffic in front of me.

Is

Old 10-12-2012, 06:24 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...og-lights.html

They are metal housings & glass projector bubbles, far tougher than the plastic factory ones. As far as being blinding, read my review, or there is a led option from V-LED:
http://www.v-leds.com/

Old 10-12-2012, 06:42 AM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could use the factory driving lights to perform the same function with some very minor wiring tweaks.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:48 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have Xenon headlights from the factory, you can always upgrade the fog lights to Xenon as well. That's what I did, and the road is in fact brighter. The kit plugs into the factory wiring; there is no splicing the harness involved. Scroll the the bottom of this thread if you're interested: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ade-story.html.

BTW, the lights I have mounted below my license plate are off-road style, which means I turn on my own switch independent of the factory wiring.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These will fit in the lower grill.

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=224

Hella is a well respected name in auxiliary lighting. These are reasonably priced.