Navigation & Audio Is it possible to mirror iPhone display to mini connected?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:47 PM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it possible to mirror iPhone display to mini connected?

Is there an official or unofficial way to display your iPhone screen on the mini connected display? Would like to push my garmin app to the mini connected display....

Old 08-14-2012, 07:00 AM
threar
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have VIM coded into your car (see the NCS threads), then video out based apps can be shown on screen while your car is moving.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:11 AM
mct
5th Gear
Well the Garmin app is not a video out based app, but was just hoping to mirror the iphone interface to the monitor, using it as an external display - kinda like what I am able to do with airplay mirroring.

The following users liked this post:
john harvey (01-16-2018)
Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 AM
threar
4th Gear
There are some jailbreak apps available that can be used to mirror the entire display to video out. I've not tried this, but in theory that would work for what you need.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:11 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by threar
There are some jailbreak apps available that can be used to mirror the entire display to video out.
To use that, you'll also need an aux video input for the MINI Connected screen.There are some aftermarket adapters available.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:36 AM
threar
4th Gear
Actually, from what's been found in the other thread, if you use the MINI Connected cable, some are able to show other apps via the video screen (pretend to play a video, switch to some other app). Seems that it's a form of video output cable.

The following users liked this post:
john harvey (01-16-2018)
Old 08-14-2012, 07:35 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by threar
Actually, from what's been found in the other thread, if you use the MINI Connected cable, some are able to show other apps via the video screen (pretend to play a video, switch to some other app). Seems that it's a form of video output cable.
Works great including the mirroring apps on jailbroken iOS5. I'll post some pics as soon as I jailbreak iOS6. My only gripe is not being able to run the video (GPS in this case) and the radio/satellite etc at the same time. The "hack" keeps the video you selected playing in the background for audio.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:15 PM
mct
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pyrrhusmj
Works great including the mirroring apps on jailbroken iOS5. I'll post some pics as soon as I jailbreak iOS6. My only gripe is not being able to run the video (GPS in this case) and the radio/satellite etc at the same time. The "hack" keeps the video you selected playing in the background for audio.
DEFINITELY interested in seeing this - please do post when you can.

So to summarize, you have to jailbreak your phone to install one of the display mirroring apps from Cydia (or other repository), you also need to hack your MINI Connected in some way to display the "video output", and you can use the MINI Connected cable to provide this output - correct?

As for your display not letting you play the radio, etc. - what if you launched Pandora from the iphone itself and then switched to the Garmin GPS iphone app - in theory - would not the audio from Pandora continue to play while the GPS app is displayed on the screen? I know it would be cooler to play the Pandora from the MINI Connected interface natively, but just wondering if this would work?

Old 08-16-2012, 09:56 AM
dharvey1221
2nd Gear
I thought displaying apps was limited to the music and video folder in iOS?

Much interested if someone cracks this. I would love to get rid of the craven mount and use garmin or maps from my iphone on the screen.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 AM
threar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mct
DEFINITELY interested in seeing this - please do post when you can.

So to summarize, you have to jailbreak your phone to install one of the display mirroring apps from Cydia (or other repository), you also need to hack your MINI Connected in some way to display the "video output", and you can use the MINI Connected cable to provide this output - correct?

As for your display not letting you play the radio, etc. - what if you launched Pandora from the iphone itself and then switched to the Garmin GPS iphone app - in theory - would not the audio from Pandora continue to play while the GPS app is displayed on the screen? I know it would be cooler to play the Pandora from the MINI Connected interface natively, but just wondering if this would work?
The modification to MINI Connected is to allow Video to continue playing while the car is in motion ("safety" feature to keep drivers from watching TV while they're motoring down the road). The jailbreak modification for the phone is to allow the system to export more than just specific apps to the video out. My feeling is that if you also run backgrounder (perhaps you don't really need to) that you're correct and the Pandora or Sirius apps could run in the background for audio (using your data connection).

Old 08-16-2012, 11:54 AM
coopers111
2nd Gear
I have a jailbroken iPhone 4S running on IOS 5.1.1 and I am able to mirror my iPhone's screen to my Connected display. I have not made any modification to the MINI Connected system (no NCS Expert or video in motion). I just downloaded "Display out" from Cydia, enable it from the setting menu on the iPhone (you can also set the screen size and orientation and other behaviors) and then plug the iPhone to the Connected cable and select the plug-in option from the Connected menu and it works. I use it for my Tom-Tom app and I'm also able to listen to music while using the nav app. It works just as in the iPhone, you have the music playing and it lowers the volume for directions and the returns to the music. The only gripe I have with this set up is that you can only use the music on your iPod, Pandora or MOG while mirroring, no radio, cd or satellite. To use Pandora or MOG you have to launch the app and then go to the home screen (playing on background) and then connect it to the car or it will default to playing the music on the iPod.

I know this is kinda long and sounds confusing but its actually pretty fast to set up once you get the hang of it. Let me know if you guys have some other questions, I'll try to explain everything the best I can.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:25 PM
dharvey1221
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by coopers111
I have a jailbroken iPhone 4S running on IOS 5.1.1 and I am able to mirror my iPhone's screen to my Connected display. I have not made any modification to the MINI Connected system (no NCS Expert or video in motion). I just downloaded "Display out" from Cydia, enable it from the setting menu on the iPhone (you can also set the screen size and orientation and other behaviors) and then plug the iPhone to the Connected cable and select the plug-in option from the Connected menu and it works. I use it for my Tom-Tom app and I'm also able to listen to music while using the nav app. It works just as in the iPhone, you have the music playing and it lowers the volume for directions and the returns to the music. The only gripe I have with this set up is that you can only use the music on your iPod, Pandora or MOG while mirroring, no radio, cd or satellite. To use Pandora or MOG you have to launch the app and then go to the home screen (playing on background) and then connect it to the car or it will default to playing the music on the iPod.

I know this is kinda long and sounds confusing but its actually pretty fast to set up once you get the hang of it. Let me know if you guys have some other questions, I'll try to explain everything the best I can.

So does it work while driving or just parked?

Old 08-16-2012, 06:42 PM
coopers111
2nd Gear
Yes it does work while driving, I use it a lot with the Tom Tom app.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:26 PM
dharvey1221
2nd Gear
Well I am on iOS 6 beta 4 so I will have to wait for a untethered jailbreak but extremely excited to be able to send video without having to hack the mini.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:52 PM
mct
5th Gear
WOW! Interesting. Wonder how you are getting around the built-in safety feature of MINI Connected that blocks video while in motion? Are you using the MINI cable that came with your car's Connected system? Or are you possibly using an aftermarket one?

This may be enough to bring me back into the jailbreak community!!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:11 PM
mct
5th Gear
On a side note - I think my wife will be driving on trips from now on when there is a race on TV that I can watch from Slingbox on the MINI Connected! Oh the possibilities!! Now I am glad I didn't pay the $750 for nav!!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 PM
coopers111
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mct
WOW! Interesting. Wonder how you are getting around the built-in safety feature of MINI Connected that blocks video while in motion? Are you using the MINI cable that came with your car's Connected system? Or are you possibly using an aftermarket one?

This may be enough to bring me back into the jailbreak community!!
mct, I am using the cable that came with the car, since the mirrored screen shows up when you select the plug-in feature I can only assume that somehow the Cydia app is fooling the car into thinking that it is showing the ipod-out feature of IOS when its actually showing the iPhone's screen. I noticed that when I don't activate the "display out" on the iPhone and select the plug-in feature on the Connected I get the ipod-like menu. If you think of it this way there's no reason the car should block the video in motion because the car thinks its showing the ipod-like menu and not a video file.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:27 PM
mct
5th Gear
Makes sense! How does th aspect ratio of the phone look on the screen when you have the gps app on? Can you post a photo of what your Tom Tom app looks like on the screen? This is so cool!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:40 AM
coopers111
2nd Gear
Ok guys, I took some photos of how the mirroring looks on the Connected screen.

When you first plug it in it shows that an external display has been connected
Name:  c8e3f950.jpg
Views: 3337
Size:  19.0 KB

These show the iPhone's home screen horizontally. You need another Cydia tweak called sbRotator.
Name:  9c086282.jpg
Views: 4122
Size:  121.9 KB
Name:  558e6b0c.jpg
Views: 3574
Size:  110.0 KB

These are from the Tom Tom app. The screen follows the iPhone's orientation so you have to keep the iPhone horizontal.
Name:  8682ed01.jpg
Views: 3298
Size:  102.3 KB
Name:  75763f6f.jpg
Views: 3640
Size:  106.6 KB

This is the CNN app showing live tv.
Name:  b6c3d058.jpg
Views: 3274
Size:  108.3 KB

And the I shot a little video of the MINI tv app playing. In the middle of the video the Tom Tom app starts giving directions to my destination. It wasn't supposed to happen but it shows that the sound of the video lowers, the nav gives the directions and then the video sound resumes.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:55 AM
jlynch1286
1st Gear
Thanks so much for this info! Can you provide instructions on how to download/install the DisplayOut app? Or is there a website that has instructions on how to do this?

Old 08-17-2012, 01:28 PM
coopers111
2nd Gear
I'll try to explain it the best way I can...

1- Jailbreak iPhone (friend did it so I don't know how to)

Next, install the following things from the Cydia repository.

2- Install SBSettings
Name:  15f89946.png
Views: 3249
Size:  170.5 KB

2.1- Install sbsettingtoggles. This enables toggles on the notification pull-down menu or as a separate menu.
Name:  88cd8bc9.png
Views: 3274
Size:  993.6 KB
Name:  b8126032.png
Views: 3313
Size:  743.3 KB

3- Intall SBRotator 5. This enables the home screen rotation to horizontal

3.1- Install SBRotator 5 SBSettings toggle. Its makes it easier to enable or disable this function.

4.- Install DisplayOut. This enables the mirroring.
Name:  92b5ac2a.png
Views: 3270
Size:  140.7 KB

This way it should work. There are 2 more things that I recommend that you install.

5- 3G Unrestrictor. This enables you to fool the phone into thinking that it is connected to a wifi network, this is usefull with certain apps that require a wifi connection to stream video.

6- VideoLock. This enables you to lock your iPhone's scree while playing a video but it keeps playing on the car's screen. I haven't got this to work everytime but when it does its pretty cool.
Name:  23baf114.png
Views: 3278
Size:  161.4 KB

Old 08-17-2012, 01:54 PM
jlynch1286
1st Gear
I'll try to explain it the best way I can...

Thank you!!

Old 08-17-2012, 02:01 PM
mct
5th Gear
AWESOME! Thanks so much for posting this!!

I just finished jailbreaking my 4S using the instructions here:

http://greenpois0n.com/2012/05/absin...0-has-arrived/

Can't wait for our Countryman to get off the boat and get to my dealer now so I can pick it up and start playing!!!

PS: How are you mounting your iphone? I just ordered a ProClip USA mount because they just sent me a 48 hour coupon code good for 20% off entire order. In case anyone is interested - coupon code is Summer2012.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:39 PM
coopers111
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mct
AWESOME! Thanks so much for posting this!!

I just finished jailbreaking my 4S using the instructions here:

http://greenpois0n.com/2012/05/absin...0-has-arrived/

Can't wait for our Countryman to get off the boat and get to my dealer now so I can pick it up and start playing!!!

PS: How are you mounting your iphone? I just ordered a ProClip USA mount because they just sent me a 48 hour coupon code good for 20% off entire order. In case anyone is interested - coupon code is Summer2012.
You're welcome! This forum has helped me so much on just about everything that I'm glad I can help too.

On the mounting, I just plug my iPhone to the cable and then rest it horizontally on the center rail. I have to find a more elegant solution but it has been working just fine.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Awesome!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Is it possible to mirror iPhone display to mini connected?