R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Can't open trunk w/key fob

Old 06-11-2012, 09:13 AM
sgrundw
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't open trunk w/key fob

Anyone else have this issue? I have comfort access, which shouldn't make a difference, but there I am.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:20 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have Comfort Access as well. I can open it with the fob or by touching the handle. Might be time to have the dealer check it.

-Steven

Old 06-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Liquid
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Fob opens it for me too, with CA......sorry for the stupid question but you are holding it in for a few seconds, right? Just tapping it does nothing, at least not for me. I did have an issue yesterday where I unlocked the doors and the trunk remained locked....until I walked over by it and it popped open (due to the key in my pocket I assume).

Old 06-11-2012, 08:37 PM
PatrickKB
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sgrundw
Anyone else have this issue? I have comfort access, which shouldn't make a difference, but there I am.
I also am having the same problem I can't always get it to open even with the button on the trunk itself. I have comfort access.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:16 PM
sgrundw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Liquid
...sorry for the stupid question but you are holding it in for a few seconds, right?
Yup. Tried tapping once, twice. Holding it. Held the button so long that the alarm went off. No luck. Taking it in next week. Kinda sucks as the car is only 3 weeks old.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:49 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yup. Tried tapping once, twice. Holding it. Held the button so long that the alarm went off.
Mine does this too. Just scared the cats trying it! Doesn't bother me too much, as I have the comfort access so it unlocks when I touch the button to open the boot.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Audiophile_Mark
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spiney
Mine does this too. Just scared the cats trying it! Doesn't bother me too much, as I have the comfort access so it unlocks when I touch the button to open the boot.
Yep, my FOB just sounds the alarm with the trunk button. It sounds like it might be one of those options in the Tachometer you need to turn on.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:14 PM
FrannyB
2nd Gear
Same here! We were at the dealership to pick up the car, but the sales guy couldn't get it to pop either. He finally just set off the alarm. "Huh..." was about all we got.

We were there to pick up the car, but they put screw holes in the front bumper after numerous calls and notes not to. Not a good evening... It is now in the body shop getting patched and painted - 10mi on the odometer... Now we have to wait until next Tuesday :(

Franny

Old 06-15-2012, 12:20 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With so many and the same issue - maybe with CA you don't need or have the fob function.

We had the opposite problem after 2 years - would only open with the fob (do not have CA) - turned out to be the boot handle itself. They replaced it under warranty even though it was a chrome handle I bought after delivery.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:29 PM
sgrundw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MCS Fever
With so many and the same issue - maybe with CA you don't need or have the fob function.
Well, if that's the case, the MA was as surprised as I was that it didn't work. Also, the Owner's Manual says that it should work...so, I'm taking it in next week and we shall see what happens.

Last edited by sgrundw; 06-15-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: oops.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Liquid
4th Gear
Any updates on this? I was mistaken but my fob doesn't work either. I have CA...holding in the trunk button sets off my alarm........which I accidently found out at 2AM last night while my car was in the driveway....SORRY NEIGHBORS! LOL

Old 06-27-2012, 12:29 PM
sgrundw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Liquid
Any updates on this? I was mistaken but my fob doesn't work either. I have CA...holding in the trunk button sets off my alarm........which I accidently found out at 2AM last night while my car was in the driveway....SORRY NEIGHBORS! LOL
I took it to the dealer and they were not too sure how to get it to work either. What I discovered was that if I press and release the doors unlock button and then press the trunk open button--TA DA--the trunk will pop open (most of the time). Give it a try. I'm curious to know if that's the answer for more cars than just mine.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Liquid
4th Gear
Just tried it, same result as you. If I hit/hold the trunk button after hitting unlock, it works!! But that's the only combo...and hold it too long and the alarm goes off again, LOL.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:12 PM
KenWarren
2nd Gear
I took it to the dealer and they were not too sure how to get it to work either. What I discovered was that if I press and release the doors unlock button and then press the trunk open button--TA DA--the trunk will pop open (most of the time). Give it a try. I'm curious to know if that's the answer for more cars than just mine.
I believe the manual for my coupé says that the doors have to be unlocked for the trunk button to open the trunk.

Speaking of the trunk, I want a trunk release inside the car. Sometimes I don't want to remove the fob from the dash to open the trunk...

Old 06-27-2012, 01:20 PM
sgrundw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by KenWarren
I believe the manual for my coupé says that the doors have to be unlocked for the trunk button to open the trunk.

Speaking of the trunk, I want a trunk release inside the car. Sometimes I don't want to remove the fob from the dash to open the trunk...
I'll check the Roadster manual to see if it's the same. FWIW--it's not just that the doors have to be unlocked. In order to get the trunk to pop, I have to actually use the doors unlock button and then the trunk unlock button.

As for opening the trunk while the key is in the car, on the Roadster (mine, at least) so long as the doors are unlocked, the trunk can be opened by someone pressing the switch on the boot. Hope this helps.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:11 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll check the Roadster manual to see if it's the same. FWIW--it's not just that the doors have to be unlocked. In order to get the trunk to pop, I have to actually use the doors unlock button and then the trunk unlock button.
Thanks for this! I played around a bit, and what seems to work for me is to hit unlock, then immediately hold the trunk button for a second or so. The trunk opens when you let go of the trunk button. Bit non-obvious, and a bit finicky on how long you hold the button, but it does work.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:56 AM
KenWarren
2nd Gear
What I'm really looking for is a button or lever in the cockpit. My wife is constitutionally incapable of pressing the button on the boot hard enough for some reason. :P

As for what needs to be pressed to get the boot to open with a given button, I did some testing last night myself. To get the boot release on the fob to work, the car had to be fully unlocked. That could be done on the dash, or via the button on the fob. If both doors were locked, or even just the passenger door, the button on the fob wouldn't release the boot. It seems a little odd, but, well, we knew our Minis were quirky when we bought them, right?

Old 06-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Audiophile_Mark
2nd Gear
Interesting indeed, thanks everyone. I pressed the unlock button on the FOB and then the unlock trunk button and I get an alarm. Am I reading this right... I need to unlock both doors using the buttons on the door handle just to open the trunk with the FOB? Might as well just use the button on the trunk.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:34 AM
KenWarren
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Audiophile_Mark
Interesting indeed, thanks everyone. I pressed the unlock button on the FOB and then the unlock trunk button and I get an alarm. Am I reading this right... I need to unlock both doors using the buttons on the door handle just to open the trunk with the FOB? Might as well just use the button on the trunk.
You don't need to touch the doors, but they must both be unlocked. So if your car, as mine, is configured to unlock the driver's door on the first press of the fob's unlock button, and the other door on the second press, you need to press the unlock button on the fob twice before you can open the boot.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:04 AM
jacquesew
3rd Gear
hey...thanks for sovling this for me. I was just using the lever inside or using the comfort access. Couldn't do anything but make the alarm go off using the fob. Taking Oliver in for a couple minor fixes next week and figured I'd ask then. Now I don't have to.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Audiophile_Mark
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by KenWarren
You don't need to touch the doors, but they must both be unlocked. So if your car, as mine, is configured to unlock the driver's door on the first press of the fob's unlock button, and the other door on the second press, you need to press the unlock button on the fob twice before you can open the boot.
Thanks, good info.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 PM
alexroet
2nd Gear
What's the point of having a trunk button then, if you just have to unlock the doors first? I thought the idea was that you could open the trunk WITHOUT unlocking all the other doors (like to drop something off) and when you shut the trunk it's automatically locked again.

Not to mention, the owner's manual says that if you hold the button down (for 1 second), the trunk should not just unlock, but pop open. (but if you hold it for 2 seconds, it triggers the alarm. That's brilliant design right there.)

And if (all) the doors are unlocked, do you still have to unlock the trunk, too? Or the trunk is already unlocked if the doors are unlocked (rendering the trunk button on the key entirely useless)?

I have comfort access, but even with that I have to push/hold the button on the trunk for a few solid seconds before it opens. I really liked the idea of having it pop open a little before I even got there. That trunk is heavy and hard enough to open as is, a little help is always appreciated.

Did anyone have any luck with their service departments "fixing" the issue, or is it a design flaw and the OM is wrong?

Old 07-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Audiophile_Mark
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by alexroet
What's the point of having a trunk button then, if you just have to unlock the doors first? I thought the idea was that you could open the trunk WITHOUT unlocking all the other doors (like to drop something off) and when you shut the trunk it's automatically locked again.

Not to mention, the owner's manual says that if you hold the button down (for 1 second), the trunk should not just unlock, but pop open. (but if you hold it for 2 seconds, it triggers the alarm. That's brilliant design right there.)

And if (all) the doors are unlocked, do you still have to unlock the trunk, too? Or the trunk is already unlocked if the doors are unlocked (rendering the trunk button on the key entirely useless)?

I have comfort access, but even with that I have to push/hold the button on the trunk for a few solid seconds before it opens. I really liked the idea of having it pop open a little before I even got there. That trunk is heavy and hard enough to open as is, a little help is always appreciated.

Did anyone have any luck with their service departments "fixing" the issue, or is it a design flaw and the OM is wrong?
With you 100% it is annoying and it is something I would consider a design flaw. BMW got the handling spot on, the acceleration and exhaust note are excellent, fit and finish top notch, but the R59 trunk button is a FAIL.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:24 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
I had this problem on my coupe. There are four adjustable ***** on the inside of the boot lid. I increased the tension on the bottom ***** and found the lid much easier to unlock. Hope it works those here too.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:50 AM
GEMSTER
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hitting the trunk button works for me.
I have CA, but no alarm system.

So maybe it has something to do with the alarm system?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R59 Can't open trunk w/key fob