Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Countryman-Specific Coding - R60 Guide

Latest Main Post Updates:
1/1/2013 - Added v48.2 Datens!
1/3/2013 - Added New Welcome Light Codes
4/13/2013 - Added v49 Datens
7/30/2013 - Added DRL Instructions (Thanks to Koopah)
2/01/2014 - Added 51.2 Datens
8/24/2014 - Added 52.0.4 Datens
8/24/2014 - Added 53.0.5 Datens

At the request of a few members here, I've put together a small guide that takes pieces from several other guides and places out there and combines them into an R60 / Countryman - specific topic.

Big thanks to the original pioneers of MINI coding that made this possible (GTECKO), and the work of GeoffreyM for his work on R60 coding. That being said, this has taken a ton of time to compile, edit documents, test, etc. so I do hope people get some use out of this.

I'm not going to spend too much time re-hashing what's already been written about coding, but I'll jump right to getting you the tools and files needed to get up and running quickly.
I take no responsibility for any damages or issues that result from altering your factory settings using any files contained within my post - all liability is assumed by the user. Now that that's out of the way...

First, you need to have a D-CAN cable - these are all over eBay. Use the search term: "d-can cable" -- Here's an example: D-CAN CABLE on eBay -- This will cost you around $55-60.

Next, you need access to a laptop to install the coding software. The software will work with either Windows XP, Vista, or 7 (with Vista and 7, you will need to run the setup in compatibility mode).

To make things easier on you R60 users new to coding, I've edited the existing Part 1 guide (thanks to GTECKO): PART 1 GUIDE (on Google Docs)

I am not linking the original coding package, as we're going to require newer software and newer Datens that I will post here in the thread. I'm including a similar setup - one single ZIP file that includes everything you need to get coding. Once you have a FIRM grasp on the process of installation, etc. please start downloading this file: Mini Countryman R60 Coding Pack (on Google Docs) -- I have compiled this file which now includes the newest Mini Setup Tools 2.10.0, including EDIABAS 7.2.0, NCSExpert 3.1.0, and so forth - this is the latest package that works with our R60s.

Next, we need to address how to actually code. In an effort to make this more clear for the R60 users, I've also modified and updated the second part of GTECKO's guide: PART 2 GUIDE (on Google Docs)

On to the coding!
After poking around for a week or two with all of the modules and finding all possible changes, here are the major changes that can be specifically coded for the Countryman. Please note that all lines in blue are the changes made to the module TRCs to have the feature underlined take effect.

I will be adding more functions as the testing is completed. There are a few more advanced options for DRL, etc. that I'm currently working on.

--------v45 DATENS UPDATE -- SEE POST #43--------

--------v46 DATENS UPDATE -- SEE POST #217--------

--------v46.3 DATENS UPDATE -- SEE POST #458--------

--------v48.2 DATENS UPDATE -- SEE POST #544--------

--------v49 DATENS UPDATE -- SEE POST #677--------

--------v49.4 DATENS UPDATE -- SEE POST #829--------

--------v51.2 DATENS UPDATE -- SEE POST #912--------

--------v52.0.4 DATENS UPDATE -- SEE POST #1056--------

--------v53.0.5 DATENS UPDATE -- SEE POST #1056--------

Enable Video/DVD in Motion for Connected -- **Advanced Users ONLY**
Tutorial Here (on Google Docs)

--------------CAS MODULE--------------

Close Windows & Sunroof w/ Lock on Keyfob
KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB
aktiv

Unlock Doors When Key Is Removed
ER_KEYOUT_AUTOVR
aktiv

Opening Door Does Not Stop Window Roll-Up (60 Seconds)
FH_ABSCHALTKRITERIUM
nicht_aktiv

Holding Fob Trunk Button Sounds Panic Alarm ** Works only on models w/ Alarm Package!
SONDERTASTE_PANIKALARM
panikalarm

--------------SHD MODULE--------------

Sunroof One-Touch Vent/Open/Close
SCHIEBEHEBEDACH_TIPP_SENK
aktiv
SCHIEBEHEBEDACH_TIPP_AUF
aktiv
SCHIEBEHEBEDACH_TIPP_ZU
aktiv
SCHIEBEHEBEDACH_TIPP_HEB
aktiv

Rain Sensor Closes Sunroof ** May not work on all models!
REGENSCHLIESSEN
aktiv

--------------SPEG MODULE--------------

Disable One-Touch Power Windows for Driver/Passenger
FH_TIPP_AUF_BFTH
nicht_aktiv
FH_TIPP_AUF_FATH
nicht_aktiv

Enable Alarm System (Not Working Yet - Requires Hardware Mod)
DWA_VERBAUT
aktiv

--------------CHAMP MODULE--------------

Enable Weather-Band Radio
RADIO_WEATHERBAND
aktiv

Remove Startup Legal Screen from Connected / Nav
LEGAL_DISCLAIMER_TIME
kein_ld

--------------KOMBI MODULE--------------

Disable Over-Estimated Speed Reading
BC_DIGITAL_V_KORREKTUR
nicht_aktiv

Disable Key Gong / Door Open Reminder
CC_ZUENDSCHLUESSEL
nicht_aktiv

Lock Speed To Center Tach Display
DIG_SPEED_PERMANENT
aktiv -- (set nicht_aktiv for TIME / TEMP as with older models)

--------------ABG MODULE--------------
**CAUTION: AIRBAG SYSTEM**

Disable Passenger Seatbelt Warning
SBR_BEIFAHRER
nicht_aktiv

Disable Driver Seatbelt Warning
SBR_FAHRER
nicht_aktiv

--------------FRM MODULE--------------

Fogs Come On With Parking Lights / Headlights ** Console Fog Light Switch Is Disabled ** - Thanks, TRIPLE_O!
SL_FKT_MIT_NSW
aktiv

Fogs Stay On With High Beams
FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ
nicht_aktiv

Fogs Stay On When High Beams Are Flashed
LH_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ
nicht_aktiv

Windows DO NOT Stop Rolling Up When Door Opened
FH_TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT_3R
nicht_aktiv

Double-Blink / Fast Blink on Hazard Flashers
DOPPELBLINKIMPULS_WARNBLK
aktiv

Disable Bulb Checks

Low Beams
KALTUE_AL_M1_6_M2_38
WARMUE_AL_M1_6_M2_38
nicht_aktiv

High Beams
KALTUE_FL_M2_6_M1_04
WARMUE_FL_M2_6_M1_4
nicht_aktiv

Puddle Lights
KALTUE_FRA_H_M2_45_M1_12
WARMUE_FRA_H_M2_45_M1_12
nicht_aktiv
KALTUE_FRA_V_M1_13_M2_40
WARMUE_FRA_V_M1_13_M2_40
nicht_aktiv
KALTUE_FRA_Z_M1_11_M2_44
WARMUE_FRA_Z_M1_11_M2_44
nicht_aktiv

License Plate
KALTUE_KZL_M2_49
WARMUE_KZL_M2_49
nicht_aktiv

Rear Fog Lights
KALTUE_NSL_L_M2_51
WARMUE_NSL_L_M2_51
nicht_aktiv
KALTUE_NSL_R_M1_10
WARMUE_NSL_R_M1_10
nicht_aktiv

Fog Lights
KALTUE_NSW_M2_37_M1_3_C33
WARMUE_NSW_M2_37_M1_3_C33
nicht_aktiv

Corner Lights
KALTUE_POL_M2_50_M1_8
WARMUE_POL_M2_50_M1_8
nicht_aktiv

Parking Lights
KALTUE_SL_1_M1_14_M2_41
WARMUE_SL_1_M1_14_M2_41
nicht_aktiv
KALTUE_SL_2_M1_16_M1_18
WARMUE_SL_2_M1_16_M1_18
nicht_aktiv

Daytime Running Lights
KALTUE_TFL_M1_1_M1_33
WARMUE_TFL_M2_1_M2_33
nicht_aktiv

Braking Lights & Signal Lights
KALTUE_BFD_M1_5_M1_37
WARMUE_BFD_M1_5_M1_37
nicht_aktiv
KALTUE_BL_M2_43_M2_9
WARMUE_BL_M2_43_M2_9
nicht_aktiv
KALTUE_BLM_M1_40
WARMUE_BLM_M1_40
nicht_aktiv
KALTUE_SML_M2_8_M2_32
WARMUE_SML_M2_8_M2_32
nicht_aktiv
KALTUE_RFS_L_M2_47
WARMUE_RFS_L_M2_47
nicht_aktiv
KALTUE_RFS_R_M1_9
WARMUE_RFS_R_M1_9
nicht_aktiv

Unknown
KALTUE_IB_M1_35
WARMUE_IB_M1_35
nicht_aktiv

Welcome Lighting:

FRONT HIGH BEAMS ON WHEN WELCOME LIGHT ACTIVATED
WL_FL
soft_einschalten
FRONT LOW BEAMS ON WHEN WELCOME LIGHT ACTIVATED
WL_AL
soft_einschalten
REAR FOG LIGHT ON WHEN WELCOME LIGHT ACTIVATED
WL_NSL
soft_einschalten
REAR TURN SIGNALS ON WHEN WELCOME LIGHT ACTIVATED
WL_BLK_H
soft_einschalten
FRONT TURN SIGNALS ON WHEN WELCOME LIGHT ACTIVATED
WL_BLK_V
soft_einschalten
CORNER LIGHTS ON WHEN WELCOME LIGHT ACTIVATED
WL_POL
soft_einschalten
LICENSE PLATE LAMPS ON WHEN WELCOME LIGHT ACTIVATED
WL_KZL
soft_einschalten
REAR FOG LIGHTS ON WHEN WELCOME LIGHT ACTIVATED
WL_NSL
soft_einschalten
FRONT FOG LIGHTS ON WHEN WELCOME LIGHT ACTIVATED
WL_NSW
soft_einschalten
PARKING LIGHTS 2 ON WHEN WELCOME LIGHT ACTIVATED
WL_SL_2
hart_einschalten
or
soft_einschalten

City Lights/DRL Swapping: (Thanks Koopah!)

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...4-post755.html

--------v45 DATENS UPDATE -- SEE POST #43--------

--------v46 DATENS UPDATE -- SEE POST #217--------

--------v46.3 DATENS UPDATE -- SEE POST #458--------

--------v48.2 DATENS UPDATE -- SEE POST #544--------

--------v49 DATENS UPDATE -- SEE POST #677--------

--------v49.4 DATENS UPDATE -- SEE POST #829--------

--------v51.2 DATENS UPDATE -- SEE POST #912--------

--------v52.0.4 DATENS UPDATE -- SEE POST #1056--------

--------v53.0.5 DATENS UPDATE -- SEE POST #1056--------

As always, I'll keep an eye on the thread and see if I can answer any questions or address any issues. Good luck - it's worth it!

Last edited by Theta; 08-24-2014 at 03:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Theta:
aabcds (06-07-2020), BlakeKnock (08-07-2020), r56_tyler (06-16-2021)
Old 11-09-2011, 04:21 AM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VERY well done theta!!!!!! i thought i would never get to dissable that stupid bp bup buup buuup that drives me and everyone that hears it crazy! i am soooooo glad you did this thread. im feeling a lil betta about tackling coding for the countryman. thanks again

Old 11-09-2011, 05:33 AM
MINIFIDE
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theta, Geoffrey and I had trouble communicating with the program and my CM. His CM worked fine but mine didn't. I later found out that it had more to do with the D-CAN Cable than the actual software. I was wondering if that's still the case and if I needed to buy a different D-Can cable that what you've listed? I think that the 9 and 10 prongs have to be disconnected (or the 10 and 11), something like that. Is that still the case? I haven't bought the cable because of that reason.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:06 AM
ghamma
5th Gear
My D-CAN is on order and I"m really enthused with your posting today. Thank you so much for packaging the information together so that starting out will be facilitated.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Theta
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIFIDE
theta, Geoffrey and I had trouble communicating with the program and my CM. His CM worked fine but mine didn't. I later found out that it had more to do with the D-CAN Cable than the actual software. I was wondering if that's still the case and if I needed to buy a different D-Can cable that what you've listed? I think that the 9 and 10 prongs have to be disconnected (or the 10 and 11), something like that. Is that still the case? I haven't bought the cable because of that reason.
Send me a few pictures of your D-CAN cable - top, bottom, and preferably inside both sides of the PCB if you feel comfortable with that.

Also, what's the build date of your R60? That will also help.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Added a few more variables.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:12 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Originally Posted by theta
Added a few more variables.
more variables? are you saying you edited the first post?

Old 11-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Yes. I will be adding new variables to the first post as I go through them. That way they're all in one place instead of spaced out through the thread.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:32 PM
creep
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thank you for this wonderful thread. I got my cable today and customized my settings. It was very easy and the cost is well worth it.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Theta
6th Gear
You're quite welcome - congrats on the coding!

Glad to know this is helping people out!

Old 11-19-2011, 02:43 PM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
R60 coding

I've been coding R55/R56/R57 and we've got a couple of R60 owners who are asking me to do some coding for them.

Can you tell me which DATEN files you are using?

I put all of the codes listed above in a spreadsheet and I'm attaching it here. Forgive me if I included model years that don't exist for the R60 but I figure someone can edit that part and then you can just X the columns where the codes have been tested and are working. Over in the R56 thread, a very similar spreadsheet lives on Google Docs with permissions so not everyone can change it. That might work here as well. Good luck with this and I look forward to following the progress.

Attached Files
File Type: xls
R60 Coding.xls (26.0 KB, 1914 views)

Last edited by cmcveay; 11-19-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Sure! I'm using the v41 Datens for the changes listed here.

I would prefer to keep this as an R60-only thread, as that's the purpose of its creation. Since there's already been so much work done on the R56 side in those massive (and informative) threads, I've edited everything to make this thread specific to the R60. This makes it really easy for us R60 users to dive right in without any confusion of model, file naming, etc.

You're more than welcome to use any variables I find for the R56/57 spreadsheet, though!

Old 11-19-2011, 03:16 PM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
I had to change the excel format to upload it. No worries on keeping it as an R60 thread and the spreadsheet is only what's listed in post #1. I code club members cars for free (or they give me a Dr. Pepper in exchange for my time/effort) and we are getting more R60's so I need to stay current on what's working for them. So far, it's all looking pretty much the same between the two. I thought the spreadsheet might help as I've sorted it by module so it's easier to get everything in each module the first time through. It's also easier to print.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your discoveries.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Well, that's quite nice of you (side note: Dr. Pepper 10 tastes great!) - that saves a whole bunch of money on cables for sure!

For the most part, they look about the same. I've been going through a ton of them, and some have yielded interesting (read: odd) results. I haven't been posting the dangerous ones, but instead have been subjecting my own car to the horrors. It hates me.

Thanks for adding that spreadsheet! I'll add it to the top post, and edit it as more parameters are confirmed (as long as you don't mind).

Old 11-19-2011, 06:02 PM
magpullin
3rd Gear
What is the "Caution Airbag" for on the seat belt disable coding??

Old 11-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Those two are marked **CAUTION: AIRBAG SYSTEM** because they are located in the Airbag Module.

There have been discussions regarding the accidental disabling of the airbag when turning the sensor off. Edit these at your own risk.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:46 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
These codings sound very interesting and somewhat risky. I'm sure it throws the factory
warrenty right out the window? Obviously it depends on what's coded, but I would imagine
it's pretty easily sensed by the mechanics when brought in for scheduled services. Or is your cm serviced outside of the mini circle, independently ?
The items that would be of interest to me, not noted on your list would be,
Sport Button: altered to be activated at engine start or soon after automatically. Deactivated manually.
Fog lights: again, have these turn on automatically (as day time running lights) but with out the day time running lights. I normally have the light mode in auto (sensing darkness)
But when you press the fogs it then activates Xenons. So I turn the stalk up to clicks deactivating the Xenons and press the fog light on. Engaging both the Sport & Fog buttons have become a ritual/habit in every start-up.
Lastly.....means to adding a remote starter. I know it's possible with other vehicles with fob/ keys. Last vehicle was a Infinity. My R60 seems to be more involved and have not found an installer willing to take the plunge as I did with my 2006 coupe. But then again that was an automatic.....this ones a manual!
Thanks in advance for your time and efforts in answering my concerns and for all the
hours and head scratching it must of taken and for sharing with all of us here on NAM

Old 11-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Wowza - lots of good questions. Let me go through them one by one.

1) The factory warranty is not affected by this - there are no permanent changes made. Any time the dealer flashes/updates your Datens, all of these changes go bye-bye. The modules changed do not include the DME, and that's really the module that they scrutinize for any changes made. If you're terribly concerned, you can restore your stock codes in 5 minutes before taking it into the dealer.

2) Some of your other items are good ideas, but remember: we can't add things that aren't there to begin with. Regarding the Sport Button, there has never been a module that can activate or deactivate that from the software level - that's the same with DSC. I worked with Matt Richter (the owner of FES - the makers of the Auto SportPlus) for several months trying to bring those features to the Countryman, but it's not going to be possible due to the way the R60 system is setup. Perhaps I should make another thread on that, since so much time and effort was spent on that research.

3) The fogs could be set to come on as the DRLs, as you can re-code any lights on the vehicle to serve as DRLs. That shouldn't be an issue, and I may be able to get you the exact parameter if you end up needing it.

4) My fogs activate independently of my Xenons. I frequently drive with my markers & fogs, even though it's not exactly legal (silly law, though).

5) Unfortunately, like I was talking about before, we're going to just have to keep hitting the sport and DSC buttons every time we climb in. Sadly, it's the Mini re-design that caused this. Those buttons no longer use the same type of signaling, and instead pass through a module before going through the BCM.

6) The remote start is a touchy issue. No dealer, and nearly no aftermarket installer will touch these. First, this vehicle uses optical transmission in addition to the normal CANBUS pulses. The handshake protocol from the key to the BCM is encrypted, so that's another issue. The only real progress that's been made requires the following:

a) Without comfort access, the key must be left in fully, and a wireless transmitter needs to be hooked up to the brake sensing line and the two switch lines independently. The transmitter would need to send a solid signal to the brake sense line, and a momentary pulse (ground signal) to the switch wires.

b) With comfort access, the key must be left somewhere in the vehicle, and a wireless transmitter needs to be hooked up to the brake sensing line and the two switch lines independently. The transmitter would need to send a solid signal to the brake sense line, and a momentary pulse (ground signal) to the switch wires.

Neither of these are good options (it's sort of a rigged system), and kiss part of the warranty goodbye on the modules. There may be a way in the future, but these cars have always been a royal pain in the *** to add a remote system to. Sad but true.

I hope this has answered many, if not all, of your questions. Motor on!

The following users liked this post:
aabcds (06-07-2020)
Old 11-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Thanks again for all your efforts and answers. That all makes sense and are clearer in many ways... Yes driving with the fogs and markers is done daily... And so far here in CT it's not illegal. I'd benefit from that change. Figured as much with the remote starter. I read somewhere here recently that might be something for future mini's via an app! I'll do some research here in the area and see if I can find someone reputable to do some of the coding. Otherwise I could invest in the needed cables and D/L the software.
Again, very greatfull for your time, patience and offering your knowledge with this non-coder.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Not a problem! Glad that all made sense.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:21 PM
hyde76
2nd Gear
I have a new question as my cable just arrived in the mail last night. Exactly where do I plug it into the car? I feel a bit silly asking but I thought I'd ask.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Bottom left driver side footwell. At the top of the driver foot area on the left side.

Looks like a parallel port (it's black, use a flashlight if you need to).

Old 12-01-2011, 02:32 PM
hyde76
2nd Gear
Thanks. I'll be trying it tonight.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:05 PM
hyde76
2nd Gear
It was right where you said it was. Got the CAS items coded and I'll do more on the weekend during the day. Is here a code for unlocking the doors when the car moves into PARK, as opposed to shutting off the motor? I'm in a carpool and I want the doors to unlock when I park the car to drop off a passenger. I thought it was possible.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:40 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
Theta do you think that by changing the center console buttons with one that have the sport button it will work (and of course coding it)? I don't have the sport button on my S, but i'd like to add it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical Countryman-Specific Coding - R60 Guide