General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sour smell from AC at start, then fine

Old 08-20-2011, 04:52 PM
gababo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sour smell from AC at start, then fine

Hi,
I recently noticed that whenever I start the car with AC, it smell very sour a few seconds, then fine all the way driving. Whenever car is sitting for awhile and starts, AC smell very sour few seconds, then gone.
Is there anyone who had similar problem and solved it?
I checked online, and some people says spray Lyson in air intake to kill some mildew and mold.
It briefly smell sour when my MINI starts, then everything becomes fine without smelling sour.
Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:18 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine does that a little bit, too. '09 MCS. Even did it after filter was replaced.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:29 PM
gababo
2nd Gear
I'm sorry that you are having similar problem. I've researched online, and most people recommend spraying Lysol in air intake. However, i don't know where the air intake is. LOL. I opened the hood, but had no clue. I know where the air filter is located. Just behind engine with long dom cover.
I also found BG Frigi-Fresh spray, which kills mildew/mold. So frustrating!!!!

Old 08-20-2011, 07:01 PM
OldGameFreaK
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your drain tube is, more than likley, plugged up. Raise the front of the car and the tube will be on the passenger side. Get a set of free chop-sticks and shove one of them up the tube. Turn on the AC and you should get a puddle when it comes out. I had the same issue. No problems now!!!!

Old 08-20-2011, 07:25 PM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gababo
I'm sorry that you are having similar problem. I've researched online, and most people recommend spraying Lysol in air intake. However, i don't know where the air intake is. LOL. I opened the hood, but had no clue. I know where the air filter is located. Just behind engine with long dom cover.
I also found BG Frigi-Fresh spray, which kills mildew/mold. So frustrating!!!!
On my '10 Clubman the fresh air intake is just behind the battery.
There a door there that opens and closes when you press the recirc button off and on. You want the recirc button off so that the intake will be open if you are going to spray something in there.
HOWEVER:
Musty smells from the AC is a classic sign with all cars that the AC drain hose is clogged and water is pooling inside the AC housing and stagnating.

Also you want to make sure the battery door and the brake access door on the other side is closed properly so that fresh air is drawn properly from the louvered grill vent up near the windshield wipers area.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:18 PM
gababo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OldGameFreaK
Your drain tube is, more than likley, plugged up. Raise the front of the car and the tube will be on the passenger side. Get a set of free chop-sticks and shove one of them up the tube. Turn on the AC and you should get a puddle when it comes out. I had the same issue. No problems now!!!!
Thank you so much for your advice. Could you please tell me which tube you are talking about on the passenger side? Will I be able to see any opening easily without disconnecting anything? I really appreciate your help. FYI, I'm driving Mini Cooper S 2008.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:24 PM
gababo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by klricks
On my '10 Clubman the fresh air intake is just behind the battery.
There a door there that opens and closes when you press the recirc button off and on. You want the recirc button off so that the intake will be open if you are going to spray something in there.
HOWEVER:
Musty smells from the AC is a classic sign with all cars that the AC drain hose is clogged and water is pooling inside the AC housing and stagnating.

Also you want to make sure the battery door and the brake access door on the other side is closed properly so that fresh air is drawn properly from the louvered grill vent up near the windshield wipers area.
Thank you alot. I'm driving 2008 Mini Cooper S. I remember there is a small compartment with latch close on the passenger side for battery. I had to replace battery few months ago after keep losing on board computer data such as time, tripodometer, etc. I had no idea where to find the battery, but finnally found one in a compartment. I had to remove plastic stuff that seal just below windshield and side.
I hope I could find the air intake in there tomorrow morning. Another kind person suggested me to take a look at a drain tube. I'll do everything I could to get rid of this stinky feet smell at the beginning of my ride. It really ruin my "cooper moments" for a second. LOL
Thank you everyone.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Mathen001
1st Gear
I have the same issue! I thought it was because I smoke! Great advice yall! I'll check out the drain tomorrow