Drivetrain Air Intake Modifications

Old 07-22-2011, 10:16 AM
threar
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air Intake Modifications

Finally able to start getting around to modifying my MINI, and decided to start with the air intake. Went with the stuff from VIP Custom Parts, and have to say it looks pretty good.

You can read about the install at my blog here.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:49 PM
mini_z
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:50 PM
CM51
2nd Gear
The air intake mod looks and sounds cool, but I checked out your blog and the turbo heat shield looks really cool. I think I might try that one. If I understand correctly, increases HP and reduces turbo lag, but mainly reduces heat to other engine components. Feel any real difference after the modification? Or pretty much for looks?

Also is this shield an additional heat shield? You didn't have to remove anything?

Great blog with all the pics.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:11 PM
threar
4th Gear
As I did both mods at the same time, it's hard to separate what did what, but things do seem slightly peppier (though that may just be me). There's a definite sound change, as you can really hear the engine bringing in air.

Installation of the heat shield only requires the removal of a plastic cover. Otherwise it acts as a secondary heat shield covering up the somewhat ugly OEM heat shield.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:55 AM
mini_z
3rd Gear
can u hear the Blow off valve now ?

In the 05 s I started to hear the super charger a lot louder after i install the CAI

Old 07-23-2011, 11:19 AM
threar
4th Gear
You can definitely hear the blow off now, and I have to admit I'm digging the sound.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:51 AM
docfink
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by threar
Finally able to start getting around to modifying my MINI, and decided to start with the air intake. Went with the stuff from VIP Custom Parts, and have to say it looks pretty good.

You can read about the install at my blog here.
Very cool and clean install.

What's your opinion on this relative rookie doing the install myself? I can turn a wrench, but you won't find me a member of any pit crew. I like to do as much myself as I can, and your explanations look reasonable enough, but you're obviously experienced.

How long would this take your average guy with minimal engine wrenching experience?

Old 07-24-2011, 12:10 PM
PoundTown
Neutral
Originally Posted by docfink
Very cool and clean install.

What's your opinion on this relative rookie doing the install myself? I can turn a wrench, but you won't find me a member of any pit crew. I like to do as much myself as I can, and your explanations look reasonable enough, but you're obviously experienced.

How long would this take your average guy with minimal engine wrenching experience?
I know this was directed for the OP, but honestly CAI's(cold air intakes) are one of the easiest and quickest modifications you can do on any vehicle.

Looks like with the CMS it might take anyone an hour AT MOST to do something like this with instructions, barring any dropped screws, etc.

Hope this helps

Old 07-24-2011, 03:24 PM
threar
4th Gear
PoundTown's right, this was easy to do and didn't take long at all (likely an hour or less).

Old 07-25-2011, 12:15 AM
CM51
2nd Gear
I've never tried any car modifications, but would doing something like the air intake mod affect the warranty?

Old 07-25-2011, 03:57 AM
ALIENLOVE
2nd Gear
I have an ALTA CAI from my ex 2008 R56s how would I fit it to R60 CM S ALL4, my friends told me I would get the EML light on if I installed it to 2011 CM S. Any ideas pls?

Old 07-25-2011, 08:49 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by CM51
I've never tried any car modifications, but would doing something like the air intake mod affect the warranty?
Nope!

Old 07-25-2011, 12:56 PM
CM51
2nd Gear
Thanks chrunck. Then I can start daydreaming about trying a few mods when my countryman finally gets here!

Old 07-25-2011, 01:12 PM
AXO
5th Gear
There is no proven gains by installing a CAI. But it does add to the looks of the engine compartment and the awesome sound of the BOV. I also like it comes in black instead of Bam in your face Orange.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AXO, I am going to have to take exception to that statement, at least in some cases. K&N guarantees an 11.18 HP increase and 12 Ft/Lbs or they will give you a full refund, no questions. I defintely notice the difference and yes you can hear the BOV whoosh under dropped throttle. I have the K&N Typhoon, great kit, good price.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:26 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by AXO
There is no proven gains by installing a CAI.
Not on a turbo, anyway. I'll probably still do it when mine comes in, as the sound is much nicer.

Originally Posted by Clubman S Turbo
K&N guarantees an 11.18 HP increase and 12 Ft/Lbs

Old 07-25-2011, 03:45 PM
AXO
5th Gear
I'm sorry I meant turbo models. The Defender of Speed was found to be the most function CAI. They are all cool and I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just stating facts.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AXO, all good, I wasnt offended, I just wanted to be sure that everyone had info to make a call on, as to buy one at all, and if so, what to buy. There are so many claims out there of "mines the best", without some dyno numbers you really cant prove anything, so just being helpful to all the fellow MINI-fanatics, there are prob many good ones, just sayin that K&N backed theirs by sending a dyno sheet in the package with every unit. I thought that was pretty cool, helps prevent wasting money on hype because as everyone knows, snake oil is abundant and PT Barnum had it right. (there's a sucker born every minute, he said)

Old 07-25-2011, 07:43 PM
mini_z
3rd Gear
Before u do any mods u should get your car dyno, for the base #'s. I even did some 1/4 miles runs. Then after the mods get another dyno to see were u stand.

Most of them say up to X hp gains.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Installed the Air Intake from VIP today... Pretty straight and simple...nice product and nice swoooosh sounds. Can really hear the turbo now. Also bought and installed the the heat shield from VIP. That actually took a liitle more work/mods as the plastic cover with Mini logo isn't made to go on after the shield is installed. Didn't like the look without the cover, so just slimmed down the plastic and all looks good and fits great. Now only if I had the correct signal/parking lights to swap out for the ambers would of been a perfect day.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:30 AM
Hobie44610
3rd Gear
Does the K&N unit filter dust down to the same micron level as the OEM filter ?

By chance, do you, or anyone else, know what the Micron rating is for the OEM and the K&N ?

Pretty important for the turbo. Just sayin.

Hobie

Old 08-05-2011, 04:40 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
K&N states 881 CFM vs average after market filter 319 CFM.
Not sure what the OEM panel filter specs out to.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:51 AM
surfwagon
1st Gear
One is likely better off keeping the original airfilter and replacing it more often than having a K&N... How many have oiled/cleaned one of these? I personally think it's a pain and don't clean the one I have. A newly replaced OEM filter will breathe better than a 6 month old K&N.

I'm confused as how this system results in any "colder" air since it seems to be drawing from the same air source as the OEM system but I may be mistaken. To hopefully obtain any benefit from a CAI also requires reprograming the ECU and adding a free flow exhaust system. Plus modern cars have sophisticated FI systems making any CAI benefits trivial at best.

I'm all for modding and wrenching and whatever one does that one believes makes the car "better", go for it. Just don't expect HP gains from a CAI or a heat shield whatever the aftermarket flyer tells you.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:58 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Would not think a Heat Shield would do anything but what it's for.. Heat Shield!
Obviously if I'm adding a Air Intake..with a round filter…would not be able to replace it with a OEM..Some do state a few H/P increase…whether that happens not sure…does sound better, cleaner and you can hear the turbo.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:02 AM
PoundTown
Neutral
Anyone else have an opinion on oiled filters vs dry filters? I like the style of this intake, but I've heard horror stories on those KN filters sucking some of that oil residue off and coating the mass airflow sensor. Though if I'm not mistaken the MAF is after the turbo right?

Just curious, cause I don't see that oiled filter being much superior to an aftermarket cone dry filter, especially if you live in a dustbowl area like I do and seeing it be caked in dirt after a few weeks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain Air Intake Modifications