General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace antenna mount?....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 AM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
How to replace antenna mount?....

Car: 06 cabriolet, JCW

What happened: Coworker was cutting up old pallets behind the building and covered my car with sawdust. I pull out a small hand towel and start wacking it around to get the sawdust off before I put the top down. I hit the shorty antenna and "crack", the antenna and part of the housing it screws into flys off.

Temporary solution: I epoxied it back in place.

Permanent solution: I want to get a new part and install it.

Problem: I don't know how to remove the trim pieces inside the car, under where the antenena mount attaches. I'm presuming that it screws in place from the bottom and I'm also presuming that there are some easy ways to pop that panel off and expose the mounting screws. But I don't want to start prying just anywhere. I'd like to get specifics as to what needs to be done and in what order to access the antenna mounting screws without buggering up anything.

Solution: Can anyone tell me this or direct me to some procedures or pix?

Thanks much!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:47 AM
martinb
6th Gear
Oh, and does anyone know if the mount housing is available on it's own, without the electronics inside it? I just seached RealOEM.com and all I found was the base including the electronics inside for 79 dollars. Ouch.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:33 PM
MI MINI S
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I epoxied our '05 MINI's antenna housing back together 3 years ago and it's still holding strong... Used JB weld.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:57 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Thanks for that. I used some Devcon gerneral purpose epoxy and I expect it will hold structurally for a long time. However, if you look closely, you can see the repair line. (I'm picky. The repair line is probably far less than if it was repaired by the average Joe, but I guess I'm just too picky.)

I was thinking, however, that if I don't buy a replacement, I may remove it, lightly sand the housing, mask off the important bits, and give it a coat of black paint in the right shade and finish. Time will tell.

I also had a look at Dr. Obnxs' instructions for installing his convertible top controller and it appears that all I have to do is pull down the light box thingy to gain access to the nut that holds the antenna base in place. I may check that out this weekend.

I wonder what type of paint would stick and hold up the best? Urethane? Epoxy? Something else?

Old 07-23-2011, 05:30 AM
BP K9 Miami
1st Gear
There is a thread about this somewhere...electronics maybe? But I just pulled mine yesterday for some repairs. Basically, open the hatch, gently, very gently, work a soft putty knife or edge under the molding starting at the center top of the head liner / rubber gasket. Work from the center to the outside edges. The object is to pull the headliner down and away from the gasket. You'll be able to flex it enough to see the (1) bolt that holds the antenna and the plug for electrical. Unbolt and unhook the plug and you're done. Reverse order when you're complete. But, but, be careful not to bend the headliner too far or you may have trouble getting it back into the rubber gasket groove.

Again, that's over simplified. Like I said, there is a thread somewhere that may be more helpful.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:41 AM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
If the repair line bothers you, why not just carefully paint the mount with some satin black aerosol paint? Use lots of newspaper to mask off your roof and hatch and everything should look like new.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:55 AM
martinb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BP K9 Miami
There is a thread about this somewhere...electronics maybe? But I just pulled mine yesterday for some repairs. Basically, open the hatch, gently, very gently, work a soft putty knife or edge under the molding starting at the center top of the head liner / rubber gasket. Work from the center to the outside edges. The object is to pull the headliner down and away from the gasket. You'll be able to flex it enough to see the (1) bolt that holds the antenna and the plug for electrical. Unbolt and unhook the plug and you're done. Reverse order when you're complete. But, but, be careful not to bend the headliner too far or you may have trouble getting it back into the rubber gasket groove.

Again, that's over simplified. Like I said, there is a thread somewhere that may be more helpful.

Thanks for that, but it sounds like you're describing a hard top. My car is a convertible. But I think I found out how to do it anyway via Dr Obnxs' instructions for installing his top controller.

Thanks again.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:56 AM
martinb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ammodave
If the repair line bothers you, why not just carefully paint the mount with some satin black aerosol paint? Use lots of newspaper to mask off your roof and hatch and everything should look like new.
Yea, I was thinking of that. I'd remove it first, though, as it should be just a 10 minute job.

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2011, 06:28 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by martinb
Thanks for that. I used some Devcon gerneral purpose epoxy and I expect it will hold structurally for a long time. However, if you look closely, you can see the repair line. (I'm picky. The repair line is probably far less than if it was repaired by the average Joe, but I guess I'm just too picky.)

I was thinking, however, that if I don't buy a replacement, I may remove it, lightly sand the housing, mask off the important bits, and give it a coat of black paint in the right shade and finish. Time will tell.

I also had a look at Dr. Obnxs' instructions for installing his convertible top controller and it appears that all I have to do is pull down the light box thingy to gain access to the nut that holds the antenna base in place. I may check that out this weekend.

I wonder what type of paint would stick and hold up the best? Urethane? Epoxy? Something else?
I have not used these but have seen it at autoparts stores and paint section of hardware stores:

http://www.plastikote.com/products/P...ic-Primer.html

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraypaintd...r-plastic.aspx

There are probably others.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 AM
martinb
6th Gear
Thanks for that!

Old 12-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Steve_LV
4th Gear
Removal of headliner?

I'm attempting to replace my R52 antenna mount also. I've taken the light out and I I've got the old antenna mount loosened. However, the attachments for the wires are to the right of the light under the headliner. How did you detach and reattach the wires? Did you take the headliner off and how does it come off?

Old 12-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Steve_LV
4th Gear
I just finished. The wires to the antenna are to the right of the light wiring harness and I pulled down the headliner to get at them. To remove the headliner, you need to remove the sun visors (large phillips head), the sun visor holder clips (t20 torx) and the rear view mirror (90 degree turn to left on mirror post). After that there are only two clips holding the headliner, but it is attached to the two side pieces also. I was able to disconnect it from one side and let it dangle while I detached the old wiring and attached the new wiring.

Steve