Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

A/C Compressor Not Engaging 05' MCS

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Streaker6
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Compressor Not Engaging 05' MCS

So my A/C has been out for most of the winter. Finally got around to doing some repairs and found the condenser was severely dented, but slightly leaking. Figured I would change the condenser and recharge system, so that's what I did.

Now it appears the compressor will not kick on. The air blows in the cabin, just not cold. And all of the fuses are good. No other abnormal indications. Did some research on the forums and found something talking about the power steering pump fan. When I read all of this, I realized that last summer I had issues with the power steering going out in traffic. I would get a "battery" light and the "DSC" light and something else unless the car started moving.

I'm assuming this is all the power steering pump fan. So here's my question, does the power steering fan directly effect the A/C compressor? Could a faulty or seized fan cause the A/C not to work?

Thanks
J.D.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Streaker6
1st Gear
Bump

Old 03-12-2011, 04:24 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My '06 MCSc has the same problem - AC plus stage 1 radiator fan not working.

I'm still in the investigative process. As far as I can tell, the PS pump fan and the AC have separate relays and fuses in your '05, so the PS fan should not affect the AC. Have you check if your Stage 1 (low speed) radiator fan is working?

Old 03-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Streaker6
1st Gear
Stage 1 Radiator is working. All fuses are good and my power steering fan is good to go. I thought the PS fan only comes on when the AC system is on, but mine runs with the system off. Is that normal?

How about the AC relay in the engine compartment. Any way to check that out? And what checks can be done to tell if the compressor is bad?

Old 03-14-2011, 03:53 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
The ECU activates the PS fan and Radiator fan (stage 1) together but via different relays.

I've not finished checking my AC but this is how I will do it...

AC has its own relay and Rad stage 1 fan will go on when refrigerant pressure reaches 8 Bar. If refrigerant pressure is too low, the pressure sensor will prevent the AC from coming on. So before checking the relay, refrigerant pressure must be correct. I use to check a relay by removing the cover, hit the switch and see if the contacts touch.

If relay is working, disconnect the wire to the AC on and check if power is not lost or short circuit between the relay and AC. If power is good, the AC is faulty... according to some threads I've read, most of the time the clutch is dead.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:51 PM
kunnis
Neutral
A/C testing

1. Test your low speed radiator fan, if that's messed up you'll have AC problems. Turn your AC on full blast and open the hood. Look behind the radiator, and you should see a fan spinning. The fan has two speeds, one is kind of noisy, and one is LOUD. It's a common problem that the low speed fan will go out, and that will take out the AC system with it. There's a sticky'ed thread that discusses the low speed fan problem.

2. Turn your car on, but leave the AC off, turn the wheel to the right. Stand next to your front passanger side tire and get on the ground. Look in front of the tire at your engine, and you should see your AC compressor, it's the lowest belt-powered thing on your engine. Look at the center of the pully, that's what it looks like when the compressor is off. Have a friend turn on your AC full blast, you should see the center spinning, but it might stop after a few seconds. If it does spin for a few seconds, then you know that all of the electronics are working.

If it shuts off or it's not cold inside the car, and you're sure the low speed fan is cycling on, then you're likely low in freon.

Also read https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ease-read.html

Old 04-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Will@ABF
1st Gear
hey j.d.

if the ac system is not correctly recharged the condenser won't kick on, if the freon is on the lower side the system goes to a fail safe and won't activate. which there is a pressure switch of the ac system by the transmission side below the fuse box, a simple way to check too is, when the car is running, if you unplug that sensor, the fan should kick on, and once you plug it back on the fan will turn off... check to see if that sensor is working correctly, make sure you have the correct amount of freon in the system.

as for the power steering issue, make sure the age level, and charging output on the battery is still good, and also check the alternator is fully working at it's charging fully. with the battery light coming on, and you continuing driving it goes away seems like you might have a dieing alternator.

hope this little info help's out

will

Originally Posted by Streaker6
So my A/C has been out for most of the winter. Finally got around to doing some repairs and found the condenser was severely dented, but slightly leaking. Figured I would change the condenser and recharge system, so that's what I did.

Now it appears the compressor will not kick on. The air blows in the cabin, just not cold. And all of the fuses are good. No other abnormal indications. Did some research on the forums and found something talking about the power steering pump fan. When I read all of this, I realized that last summer I had issues with the power steering going out in traffic. I would get a "battery" light and the "DSC" light and something else unless the car started moving.

I'm assuming this is all the power steering pump fan. So here's my question, does the power steering fan directly effect the A/C compressor? Could a faulty or seized fan cause the A/C not to work?

Thanks
J.D.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:54 AM
kunnis
Neutral
On the earliest minis, the power steering pump and the main radiator fan are on the same circut. In some cases, a rock or something would cause the power steering fan to stop turning, blowing the fuse for both the radiator and power steering. Without the radiator fan, you engine overheats easier, and the AC works very poorly.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Streaker6
1st Gear
Thanks for everyone's help. The problem ended up being the compressor. I swapped it out and now the problem is fixed. I also changed the power steering fan which was really gunked up. Not sure if that did anything, but I have had zero issues since.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:32 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Streaker -

Congrats on your AC. If you don't mind, where did you buy the compressor. I'm looking for a vendor (new, used, re-manufactured).

thanks!

Old 07-01-2011, 03:10 AM
HRM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cadenza
Streaker -

Congrats on your AC. If you don't mind, where did you buy the compressor. I'm looking for a vendor (new, used, re-manufactured).

thanks!
This was where I went ( and some tips)

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ricks-ftw.html

Old 07-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
thanks!

Old 07-02-2011, 03:20 PM
roromini
1st Gear
I just bought the compressor from amazon brand new $300, the only thing it came with the wrong orings.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Streaker6
1st Gear
I got mine on Ebay. I believe the name of the seller is Jensen Auto or Jensen Air. I purchased a used compressor for $150 plus shipping and I have no complaints.