R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Considering an Airhorn Installation. Have some questions (non-technical).

Old 05-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Eric5279
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Considering an Airhorn Installation. Have some questions (non-technical).

I am sure I am not the first to think of this idea, but I thought about putting an air horn on my Countryman when she comes in. I mean what is funnier than a obnoxiously loud horn on a car that people would least expect to hear it on?

Air horn kits are a dime a dozen and easy to install, so that is not my concern. My concern is will I have enough space to hide ( and do it well ) the air tank, the compressor, the horns, and a second battery if I need one? I did not get a few options in the car like the garage door opener so I can easily use one of the switches locations that would have been used there to install a on/off switch for the compressor. Also, does anyone see any concerns with voiding any warranties by doing this?

I am the kind of person that like to do things big, so if I am going to do this I want to scare people into submission lol.

Just looking for some feedback. I did something like this on a car I had a few years back, but since it was paid off, there was substantially more room for the installation of all the hardware, and not under warranty I did not have any of the above concerns.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Last edited by Eric5279; 05-25-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wolo makes a number of compact air horns that do not use a tank. They might have something small enough. Don't know where you would find room for one, however. Keep us updated.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:27 AM
ghamma
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sealy
Wolo makes a number of compact air horns that do not use a tank. They might have something small enough. Don't know where you would find room for one, however. Keep us updated.
What a neat collection of horns. I've used some of those on little cars before (e.g., Honda N600), and I understand why to include the tank. These little guys don't have that authoritative punch when turned on that the tank-based systems offer. It's an experience thing, kind of like getting a MINI with a manual transmission.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got a European Hi/Lo on my Ford Ranger. It does all right. Around here, you need something to get people's attention.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:10 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had train horns before on my S-10, Ranger and F-150. I have a plan to put them on my R56 but since the wife is now driving it and I have the R50 I have no motivation to get it done. You need a decent air compressor (Viair) and a tank. You will need a couple of relays, pressure switch, and a dedicated fused power wire to run the compressor (20A fuse). You may also want a few switches to disable the solenoid to actuate the horns as well as a switch to kill the compressor should you need to cut power to it. I have a 3gal tank that I plan to reuse unless a better alternative fits.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:10 PM
itsmeagain
1st Gear
You might try some of the marine stores.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...Category:Horns

Old 05-25-2011, 01:10 PM
lindseybp
5th Gear
If you do this I would love to see a video of the horn in action! Would be pretty cool!

Old 05-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Sir Stirling
2nd Gear
Consider Hella Supertones... I had them on my WRX, behind the grill and facing forward. They're a very slim profile, no external tank/compressor, and ludicrously loud. These will knock pedestrians clear across intersections and peel back the sheet metal of cars in proximity (okay, not really, but you get the idea).

Wiring couldn't be easier, just connect the wires from the stock horn, and ground to any non-insulated metal nearby.

Won't give you the "Ahh-ooo-gah!" sound, if that's what you're looking for, but will be more than loud enough to get anyone's attention. They're a fairly common upgrade for the tuner market, largely because they're cheap and easy. A good source for them is Safe Drives in Oregon, www.safedrives.com, who will ship them anywhere you may be. Ask for Charles, and tell him Tad sent you (no, I don't work there or get a kickback!).

Cheers,
Tad

Old 05-25-2011, 05:34 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Back in, I believe to be, '06 a NAM member named "The MINITOR" had one bad **** MINI. He installed airhorns and posted pics in his gallery of where he hid the compressor and the horns.

You may want to look his NAM name up in the members list and check out his gallery.

....Les

Old 05-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Eric5279
1st Gear
Thanks for all the feedback and help everyone.

In ordering my Countryman I forgot to order the flat load floor. So here is my idea: I will cut out MDF board in the shape of the boot in the back to cover the hole. I will then carpet it to mach the interior carpet the best I can. I will them mount the compressor and the air tank to the board. The trick will be to get the air lines and the power lines to the engine bay and mounting the horns so they do not damage the under body of the car.

It is going to be a challenge but I am looking forward to it!

Now I just need to have to actually get the car!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:37 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I can't be of much help on fitting it into a Countryman, but I got a set of horns into my R53, so it can be done. I'm powering it off of a CO2 paintball bottle to save room and decrease complexity: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-extreme.html

Old 03-06-2012, 05:07 AM
ThomB
5th Gear
Do a search for motorcycle air horns. They come in a fairly small package so you may not have space issues. I've considered them because my Hot Orange mini is so difficult to see on the road?

Old 03-06-2012, 05:31 AM
yoggie
1st Gear
Harbor Freight sells a horn called the bad boy air horn for around $40. Its a small all inclusive unit thats easy to wire and install. I put one on another car and it worked well enough. Its probably a little bit smaller than what the OP wants, but it might be perfect for others out there that want something louder without having to go to the extreme.