Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical The [Complete] NCS Expert DIY

Old 04-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Comasynthesis
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The [Complete] NCS Expert DIY

Update 2013.10.23:

Hi everyone! I had taken a quasi-hiatus from NAM, but after receiving numerous PMs about my links being broken I decided to check it out. Turns out the file sharing service I used changed their API and broke all the URLs. I've updated the links and everything should work now.

Sometime in the near future I'm going to get back into this and try to get everything working with my '11. If I'm able to, I'll update the guide and provide links to the software that worked for me.
Background:

I have spent the past few weeks here on NAM, on bimmerforums, e90post, and a few other forums trying to piece together how to get BMW Standard Tools to work reliably so I could code my R56. I have wasted hours staring at download timers on RapidShare and HotFile. I have spent entire afternoons searching forums, sometimes in other languages, looking for the answers to what I thought were exceedingly trivial questions that just simply were not answered anywhere else.

Becoming familiar with this software does have a bit of a learning curve, but I was still encumbered by a lack of consolidated, thorough information that left nothing to guesswork and didn't send me off on a wild goose chase looking for software that was only available in a 75-part RapidShare download.

I feel that I finally have a grip on this coding business, and I wanted to give back to the community by making sure that other people who want to take this up as a hobby don't have to drag themselves through the litany of failure and sadness that I did to get to where I am. This stuff isn't that difficult, and I think that with well-written documentation and easy access to the tools needed, this endeavor can be made orders of magnitude more simple.

Yet Another NCS Expert DIY:

I have written a thorough guide in plain English on how to set up your rig and use NCS Expert to code your car. The only other hardware you'll need is the diagnostic cable. The only other information you will need are the actual field names and values. If you own an R55, R56, R57, or an R60, you are in luck. All these models (basically, all "2nd Gen" MINIs) use the same datens, and Jbourne has set up a wonderful Google Docs spreadsheet with most of the known fields/values for these models. Unfortunately, you have to request access to the document. No one likes waiting, so I have provided an offline copy in Excel format. I still recommend you request access to the online version though, as it will get updates from time to time.

The software you'll be using with this guide is not that 15-year-old crap provided by ecutools.com. Anyone who has tried to follow their installation procedures knows what I'm talking about. I have provided BMW Standard Tools 5.0, which consists of a single installation wizard (in English!) that sets up the entire INPA suite. Hooray.

The datens (data files) provided are v38. I extracted them from the ~40GB ISTA-P software suite and bundled them into archives for each chassis. I will happily update the archive to v40/v41 when/if I can find a reliable source.

Lulzy side note: I recently paid $9 to download v40 datens from HotFile only to find out that the entire archive had been stripped of the exact files needed by NCS Expert. Way to go, interwebs.

I've tried by best to organize this software and create a guide that will result in the fewest possible problems when setting up your rig. However, I (and I'm sure the rest of the community) would be happy to attempt to help the novice coder with any problems they have, so long as it is somewhat evident that you have used the search feature first.

I would also be interested in working with people who are proficient with NCS Dummy to grow our database of known fields/values, especially on newer models.

Downloads:

- The Guide (Rev 2011.04.23) (PDF, 193KB) [download]
- R56 Codes Spreadsheet (XLS, 29KB) [download]
- The Software (Guide also included) (ZIP, 660MB) [download]

Further Reading:

- Strobeyprobey's Thread
- xxxjecxxx's Thread on E90Post
- revtor's Thread on Bimmerforums
- Jbourne's R56 Spreadsheet (you must request access)

Change Log:

- All files moved to Mega
- No longer seeding old torrent

- Fixed links

- Added Glossary
- Minor formatting changes

- Original version

Credits:

The author would like to thank (in no particular order):

- strobeyprobey, Jbourne, revtor, and xxxjecxxx for their contributions to their respective communities and for providing invaluable information in my quest to figure this all out.

Thanks for reading, and happy coding!

Last edited by Comasynthesis; 12-27-2013 at 01:18 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Comasynthesis:
Chilimini2011 (12-04-2017), marinabrian (02-01-2021), taichiwayne (09-06-2018), usmc_mitch (09-07-2019)
Old 04-21-2011, 10:43 AM
peeti
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nicely done!

Old 04-21-2011, 10:48 AM
GTiGLi
1st Gear
Very nicely thought-out, articulated, and executed. Thanks for doing the leg-work I was about to have to do

Old 04-21-2011, 12:14 PM
jman311
2nd Gear
Kudos! Excellent work. The interwebs thank you.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:18 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow!

So now, among others, I'll be able to turn off that stupid seatbelt chime?

Fantastic!

Good karma will befall you my friend.....

Old 04-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Derk
3rd Gear
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:22 PM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Wow!

So now, among others, I'll be able to turn off that stupid seatbelt chime?

Fantastic!

Good karma will befall you my friend.....

And I might even be able to get the convertible top to close with the key fob.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:43 PM
bossjh
1st Gear
Are all the NCS Expert files and Software usable in a Windows environment?

Old 04-21-2011, 09:24 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I just programmed an E64 (645CI) to comfort close the convertible top. So it should be possible with the R57!

Originally Posted by MiamiGuitarMan

And I might even be able to get the convertible top to close with the key fob.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:36 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I would have loved to have written up a complete instruction set, but I just don't have the time to. :-) Figuring it all out was enough of a time sync!!! But I am very surprised how many people have picked up the cables and attempted the program changes!

I urge everyone who has gone as far as programming the car look towards getting even more value out of their cables by getting DIS v57 up and running. You need to get the EasyDIS v44 running in VMware then upgrade it to v57. DIS will give you all of the diagnostic information about fixing the car. It is what the dealer used (recently replaced by ISTA) to reset codes (like the airbag light for example) and check all codes and error conditions that don't even show a warning light. There is a sticky in the bimmerforums that discusses the install process.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:14 PM
jman311
2nd Gear
Thanks again to the OP - I was able to get this working and several settings programmed in less than 2 hours using this thread.

I just posted in the NCS-Expert sticky thread about 1 problem I had (unable to read the FRM module).

Last edited by jman311; 04-22-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Comasynthesis
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jman311
Thanks again to the OP - I was able to get this working and several settings programmed in less than 2 hours using this thread.

I just posted in the NCS-Expert sticky thread about 1 problem I had (unable to read the FRM module).
Jman, I had the same issue reading the FRM module. As I understand it, certain daten versions just... "don't work" with certain modules. The only solution to this that I have seen is to maintain copies of datens that are known to work with a given module, and switch your datens out depending on which module(s) you want to work with.

As this solution is (in my opinion) messy and cumbersome, and because the only decent datens I could find were v38, I didn't include it in the guide. If anyone in the community has access to datens that are known to work with the FRM module, please PM me and I would be happy to add them to the archive and add a section to the guide explaining how to use them.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:42 PM
KnottyMan
2nd Gear
Link to the software is no go as ge.tt has put the kibosh on it for traffic amount. Any possibility to re-issue it as a torrent or different hosting site?

Anyone have a link for a good cable? Or is it any usb to OBD2 will do?

Old 04-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Comasynthesis
1st Gear
Originally Posted by KnottyMan
Link to the software is no go as ge.tt has put the kibosh on it for traffic amount. Any possibility to re-issue it as a torrent or different hosting site?

Anyone have a link for a good cable? Or is it any usb to OBD2 will do?
Torrent up, see first post. Anyone who can, please stay on after downloading and help seed.

Here's a link to search results on eBay, use the picture in the guide for reference: http://bit.ly/hFtSzU

Old 04-23-2011, 08:53 AM
bossjh
1st Gear
I have an ElmScan 5 multiprotocol ODB Scan tool cable (OBD to USB) which does not appear to work with NCS Expert (although I did not load the NCS Expert driver but simply used the existing driver for ELMScan). I assume I need to BMW D-Can cable and the specific driver include in the package above to make NCS Expert work?

I see the links for cable on ebay.

Thanks for your help and a great write up.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Sketch
5th Gear
Good post bro.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:00 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Well done . I made a sticky for NCS expert for beginners, maybe we could have updated that one instead of having again another thread on this subject.
Btw, I set up the spreadsheet and updated it with all the codes ...

Old 04-24-2011, 02:44 PM
NintenTom
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great job! I think i'll be ready to tackle NCS expert now. =)

Old 04-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Comasynthesis
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bossjh
I have an ElmScan 5 multiprotocol ODB Scan tool cable (OBD to USB) which does not appear to work with NCS Expert (although I did not load the NCS Expert driver but simply used the existing driver for ELMScan). I assume I need to BMW D-Can cable and the specific driver include in the package above to make NCS Expert work?

I see the links for cable on ebay.

Thanks for your help and a great write up.
As far as I know, as long as the cable supports D-CAN and you use the proper driver supplied with the cable, it would work with this software. However, I have only tested with the cable referenced in the documents.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Step
2nd Gear
im curios what are the limitaions of the software. is there a possibility to accesss the dme? and uncheck certain limitations there.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Comasynthesis
1st Gear
Not 100% sure about that Step, but if I had to venture a guess I would say probably not.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:06 PM
BBoshart
3rd Gear
Quick question. I have been using NCS Expert 3.08 and wanted to upgrade using your software since its NCS 3.1. I completely deleted my old EDIABAS/NCS/IPNA software (I actually just did a clean install of my Windows XP OS on my laptop) so I could start over fresh.

Anyway, I installed everything following your instructions (a lot easier than my older version, by the way) but whenever I try to have NCS Expert read my ECU, it says "FAULTY CHASSIS." I noticed that after the install, there were no chassis folders in the NCSEXPER/DATEN folder. There were actually no files at all. I created a folder titled R56 and placed the datens in there but I'm thinking that's not right. Any suggestions? If not, I can just go back to my older version of EDIABAS. Thanks.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:37 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you have a problem wih you datens. Have you click on LADEN.BAT in c:/NCSEXPERT/DATEN/R56 ?
I suggest you reinstall NCS, try my sticky, I ve updated the file with V40 as well

Old 05-01-2011, 01:29 AM
Comasynthesis
1st Gear
BBoshart,

With the version of NCS Expert distributed in this thread, the DATEN folder will be empty by default. You must manually create a folder named "R56" (in your case) and copy everything from the "daten" sub-folder (extracted from the R56.zip archive in the "Datens (v38)" folder) into the "R56" folder you created.

Re-read page 7 of the guide and make sure you've followed everything there. If you continue to have issues, let me know.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:46 AM
BBoshart
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Comasynthesis
BBoshart,

With the version of NCS Expert distributed in this thread, the DATEN folder will be empty by default. You must manually create a folder named "R56" (in your case) and copy everything from the "daten" sub-folder (extracted from the R56.zip archive in the "Datens (v38)" folder) into the "R56" folder you created.

Re-read page 7 of the guide and make sure you've followed everything there. If you continue to have issues, let me know.
Well I got past the FAULTY CHASSIS issue. I just recreated the R56 folder in the DATEN folder, and ran the LADEN.BAT. NCS can read my VIN and I can select a module to read. But now the problem I'm running into is the only module I can read is the CAS. It won't read SPEG (the one that started this whole process of upgrading so I could turn on my alarm light). But it also won't read other modules like RLS that I could read with my older version. I keep getting this error.

I've copied the SGDAT files and the DATEN files. And I copied the ECU files and replaced any existing ones with the new ones that came in the Datens (V38)/R56/ecu folder.

Any suggestions? Thanks for taking the time to help me figure it out.

Attached Thumbnails The [Complete] NCS Expert DIY-untitled.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical The [Complete] NCS Expert DIY