General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

importing diesel mini to USA

Old 02-06-2011, 08:26 AM
letsmotor2011
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
importing diesel mini to USA

Has anyone experience with importing a mini from Europe? I'm wanting a new mini but am perplexed with ho-hum mpg on the new models. I'm looking at a diesel (or any word these will become available is US?). Our other car is a VW golf TDI and is very nice; my main love though is our mini! Would additional mods be needed to be able to register a mini diesel here? Any thoughts most appreciated. thanks

Old 02-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Refer to Motoringfile.com and search diesel in the list at the bottom of the page.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Ya MINI pretty much said for the cost of making the diesel and importing it to the US they would have to charge over $30k for just a base Cooper. Not to be th negative Nancy but it really isn't worth it. On top of the fact with petrol being at the price it is and diesel the price it is you are spending roughly the same over the whole year.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:05 AM
letsmotor2011
Neutral
thanks...

for info and ref to motoringfile - i'm still gungho on diesel though. my golf tdi cost more than gas model, and most cleaner/greener products do today. yes it'd be great to recoup extra cost in brief time period but that's not happening. i personally would be happy to pay extra $ for diesel model and feel alot of usa buyers would - especially when they see the mileage doubles! i live in the corn state where everyone is blinded by gasohol - what a joke. I'll keep hoping for a diesel import.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:15 AM
kazlot
4th Gear
Importing a diesel mini to USA

If your really serious and price is not an obstacle an Independent Commercial Importer (ICI)
may be just who your looking for to bring a Mini Diesel into the country.

The following site is just one of many that should be helpful:

http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm...ingyourcar.htm

Imported motor vehicles are subject to U.S. safety standards, bumper standards, and air pollution control (emission) standards. Most vehicles manufactured abroad that conform with U.S. safety, bumper, and emission standards are exported expressly for sale in the United States; therefore, it is unlikely that a vehicle obtained abroad meets all relevant standards. Be skeptical of claims by a foreign dealer or other seller that a vehicle meets these standards or can readily be brought into compliance. Nonconforming vehicles entering the United States must be brought into compliance, exported, or destroyed.

Vehicles that do not meet all U.S. emission requirements, unless eligible for exemption or exclusion must be imported through an independent commercial importer (ICI). The EPA will not allow the vehicles’ release to the vehicle owner until ICI work is complete. The ICI will perform any EPA-required modifications and be responsible for assuring that all EPA requirements have been met. Some vehicles cannot be successfully imported or modified by an ICI, however, and in general, ICI fees are very high.

Hope this helps...

Old 02-06-2011, 10:17 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My understanding was... that the reason they are not bringing the MINI D here had less to do with the price point and more to do with the fact that it cannot be built in such a way that it will meet California emissions standards, is that incorrect?

Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 AM
sarafil
4th Gear
Originally Posted by letsmotor2011
Has anyone experience with importing a mini from Europe? I'm wanting a new mini but am perplexed with ho-hum mpg on the new models. I'm looking at a diesel (or any word these will become available is US?). Our other car is a VW golf TDI and is very nice; my main love though is our mini! Would additional mods be needed to be able to register a mini diesel here? Any thoughts most appreciated. thanks
It would cost you so much to get the car here, go through the regulatory red tape and get it compliant with US emissions that you'd be able to buy a regular Cooper (or perhaps a Cooper S) loaded to the gills and buy a lifetime supply of gas and still have a lot of money left over.

And that's not even considering the toll the stress will have on your life expectancy.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:29 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
The cost of bringing here will turn pol away

Old 02-06-2011, 02:31 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
Sounds like it would be less expensive to move to Europe.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:04 PM
kazlot
4th Gear
Importing diesel mini to USA

Originally Posted by RandomGemini
My understanding was... that the reason they are not bringing the MINI D here had less to do with the price point and more to do with the fact that it cannot be built in such a way that it will meet California emissions standards, is that incorrect?
Yes that's incorrect.

It's the price point due to the cost of reconfiguring the rear of the car to accept all the new equipment.

Hope this helps...

Old 02-09-2011, 09:13 AM
jbkone
4th Gear
Actually, they do bring the diesels to Canada, right? So you could go to Canada and buy one and at least the shipping would cost less (depending on where you are) and isn't there some law about North American emissions standards? So if it's good enough for Canada, it should be good enough for us, right? I don't know much, but I've read some.

Getting warranty work would not be possible I bet.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:41 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Ah ha... found it:

We're both right, though it wasn't California emissions standards that were the problem. It's the EPA's 2013 standards.

The new equipment you mentioned is a urea mixture tank, wiring and pump and etc... which are used for reducing CO2 emissions from diesel engines. These are not required in Europe.

So while the price point was a problem, the reason for it, is because of US emissions standards for diesel engines.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/01/...the-us-market/

Old 02-10-2011, 02:49 PM
shrimpy
1st Gear
Being a diesel guy too I can tell you one thing. The new (2007 up) diesels have issues with the new clean air systems (DPF's EGR, and Urea injection)
You really dont want one of them yet.

Remember 1975 when the cat came out and how bad they were the first few years (Until fuel injection became mainstream)

The same thing is happening with diesels right now.

They will get it right in a few years but I for one would stay away from anything with those above mentioned systems right now.

I have a 2009 Dodge Cummins that HAD DPF and EGR. Was back to the dealer 5-6 times in the first 6 months. I removed them and have not had a dealer visit since. (hunderds out there with same story)

The last thing you would want is aftermarket clean air systems (right now)

The following users liked this post:
MiniTigger (09-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2011, 02:36 PM
SD5
2nd Gear
I'm trying to find out the same thing too.

Talking to a shipping company right now and they are trying to find out for me if there is somebody certified to bring the Euro spec MINI SD up to US standard (I assume it has to be done through an independent commercial importer since you're not able to import a non-US vehicle by yourself).

If I understood the article right the urea injection is only mandatory from 2013 models onwards which is why MINI decided against it because they could only sell the car as is for 2 years instead of up to 4 if the EPA standard wouldn't change in 2013.

Last edited by SD5; 03-01-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 08-31-2017, 11:58 PM
Austin Ferrari
Neutral
Have y

Originally Posted by SD5
I'm trying to find out the same thing too.

Talking to a shipping company right now and they are trying to find out for me if there is somebody certified to bring the Euro spec MINI SD up to US standard (I assume it has to be done through an independent commercial importer since you're not able to import a non-US vehicle by yourself).

If I understood the article right the urea injection is only mandatory from 2013 models onwards which is why MINI decided against it because they could only sell the car as is for 2 years instead of up to 4 if the EPA standard wouldn't change in 2013.
have you found amything out yet? If so
olease let me know so i can get a mini over here in CA

Old 09-01-2017, 06:49 AM
J Free
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wait until it's 25 years old, otherwise prepare to get a second mortgage.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:21 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
I hope you heed the warnings of buying in Europe and bringing it into the US. EPA has thrown a very bad curve in bring cars into the USA. Compliance in bringing in a diesel Mini, will cost a shocking amount, if it can be done at all.
Bring it in as an off road racer, become a dealer and run dealer plates on it!(It may be the only way!)