Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Replacement key

Old 07-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Hokidachi
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement key

Hi,

This is my first post on the forum. I have to say that I found tons of information here!

I bought a used Cooper R56 (2007) last week, pepper white with a black roof. I love it...
Unfortunately the car came with only one key. So I went to the closest Mini dealership and asked two things:

1 - Deactivate the missing key (yeah I am suspicious)
They said each key has a number: key 1, key 2... and that they will deactivate the key I don't have for $170. I said "what?", $170 to plug a computer and uncheck a checkbox?? I paid $170...

2 - Get a brand new key
They said you need to buy two things, the radio remote control ($327.08) and the slide-in key ($41.76). Again, I said "what?" I paid $368.84...

So with taxes I had a $538.84 invoice just because the car did not come with 2 keys when I bought it...
If you're about to buy used Mini with only one key, you should definitely talk about the related cost in the negotiation!

Hokidachi

Old 07-13-2009, 06:18 PM
mubex
2nd Gear
Old 07-13-2009, 07:02 PM
old81
M6
Now that you have that taken care of.... Congratulations on a new MINI.

Welcome to NAM and how about a few pictures of your 07?

Enjoy your new MINI and join in the fun of driving one of the best.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Hokidachi
Neutral
Thanks old81!
I have ordered a bunch of things from various websites, I'll post pictures as soon as I'll have installed them

Hokidachi

Old 07-14-2009, 05:26 AM
ecupip
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is bull about deactivating a key. It works that all the keys you want programmed need to be done at the same time. Any keys that aren't programmed when the new key is programed will not start the car.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Hokidachi
Neutral
Nope this is not how it worked (at least with my car).

They ordered the second key, and they just handed it to me 5 days later. They did not have to do anything on the car. I just opened the car with the old key and then started it with the new one. That was it, no need to reprogram the original key.

Hokidachi

Old 09-22-2009, 08:59 AM
bumbles44
1st Gear
I was kind of suspicious when I bought my MC, the sales mgr tries to sell U everything under the sun, but I actually purchased the keyfob protection plan...or whetever it is called. Cost me a couple of hundred bucks but I knew if I had to replace a fob it would cost more. I had a "regular" key made for a ford pickup, it had a chip inside and it cost me $75 -- I could only imagine how much it would cost to replace this marvel of engineering.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:07 AM
haygood
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny, other threads on NAM show people getting keys from the dealership for $160, or for eBay for less. You can reprogram the keys yourself by pressing the right buttons in the right sequence. This programs the keys you program and eliminates any other keys so they don't work. Works on everything built past 07/04, if I recall correctly.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:10 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I got my Clubman the dealer/transport company lost one of the Comfort Access keyfobs.

The dealer ordered me a new keyfob and mailed it to me. I am 200 miles from the dealer.
The buttons on the new keyfob worked and it would start the car if placed in the cradle but the comfort access portion did not work.

Dealer said that there can only be 2 CA fobs associated and they the would have to deactivate the missing fob and program in the new one.

I found that people at the dealer were confused at how the key / programming work.
When I went to the dealer for an unscheduled visit... TPMS went off and found I had a nail in a tire..... While I was there I asked about having the keyfob programmed. ... the service adviser dude, (the guy that comes to the waiting area to give you the bad news), tried to tell me to just put the new keyfob in the cradle and drive a 100 miles and it will fix itself. Since that is not what I was told over the phone and read in NAM and I was 200+ miles from home, I pressed the issue to the Service Manager.... The manager chided the adviser dude and suddenly found time to get my car in and reprogrammed... took about half an hour and they waived the tire repair.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:49 AM
haygood
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting, so it sounds like CA is another dealer programmed system. Too bad. ...not that its often a problem, just one more thing we need them for.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:01 PM
reRESERVEDMD
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know how to say it, but you got screwed man... up your rear!

I had an issue with a MINI dealership recently that was similar to yours. The car didn't come with the second key. The sales person said that they will call the original owner. Making it short, they didn't and lied to me along with the sales manager, so I called general manager and MINI USA. The latter took care of everything for me and now, I'm getting a brand spanking new key from them at no charge

Moral of the story: don't just whip out your wallet at the dealer. They're out there to screw with you, so why not just fight for what you should be getting first?

Congratulations on new MINI!

Old 12-12-2010, 02:42 PM
MisterClean
3rd Gear
Before the John Hancock.....

Moral of the story...make sure you jot down notes before purchasing a car about all the "little" things.

On my previous car (non MINI) I didn't get a second key, didn't get the free tank of gas (part of prepping the car) and didn't get a manual for the car. You better know it that when I went to the MINI dealership for my current car I asked about all those things (politely) BEFORE signing the contract.

I'm sure there are those exceptions that will go the mile after you buy the car but you have to lookout for yourself first then enter the contract. It's not unreasonable to ask for a second key, to get some accessories free or discounted and other small things. Just do it before buying the car or you'll have a sour experience afterwords wishing you had asked.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:58 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Hokidachi
Nope this is not how it worked (at least with my car).

They ordered the second key, and they just handed it to me 5 days later. They did not have to do anything on the car. I just opened the car with the old key and then started it with the new one. That was it, no need to reprogram the original key.
Ditto.

I ordered a second key for just under $60. It was a regular size key, but without the remote function built into the case. They had it for my pick up, the very next morning.

Likewise, nothing to program. It came with an already programmed "chip" inside the mostly empty case.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Heaven
1st Gear
My used 2008 can with only one key as well, I have a very strong suspicion that the other key was "retained" by the dealership and reprogrammed for someone else's car (probably an employee, but perhaps sold to someone else). Well, the told me the car had only one key before I bought it, so that was that. I would like to (and NEED) a backup key. I have the keyless entry, but just need a regular key in case I drop the fop or something else befalls me.
Do I get that at the parts counter, or what?

Old 01-15-2011, 05:56 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Heaven
My used 2008 can with only one key as well, I have a very strong suspicion that the other key was "retained" by the dealership and reprogrammed for someone else's car (probably an employee, but perhaps sold to someone else). Well, the told me the car had only one key before I bought it, so that was that. I would like to (and NEED) a backup key. I have the keyless entry, but just need a regular key in case I drop the fop or something else befalls me.
There is no "regular key" that IS used to start your MINI, there is however a Key inside your Key Fob (ONLY opens Doors), turn the Fob over and push on the Silver Colored Button, then pull on the thumb impressioned black oval part, Waaalaaa...a KEY!!

Last edited by RJKimbell; 01-22-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Heaven
1st Gear
Yes I know about that key in the fob, , , thanks, , so, I have to but another key just like the one I have in order to be assured of operating my car? And it's 300 or more?
I don't need another keyless type, are there any other options?
Where do I get whatever key I need, at the parts department at the dealership?

Old 01-15-2011, 06:50 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
If you bought your MINI at a Dealership, I would start with your SA, he/she should have owned up to not giving you a 2nd Key Fob!! If you bought it from a Non-MINI Dealership, then yes the Parts Counter @ a MINI Dealership is where you will likely need to start.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Heaven
1st Gear
He claimed the previous owner didn't turn in the other, and couldn't find it
and that he called her about it. Like I said, I suspect he kept it and can turn a profit on it somehow.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:35 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
A few points

1. You can mail/internet order keys from dealers that sell that way--Morristown, etc. They need your drivers license and registration fax/scan, just as the dealer should require on a chip interlock type key if done in person. It is cut based on the VIN number and Mini's records. Purchasing that way is at some discount to list. Still have to deal with the programming cost, but that saves some on the parts cost.

2. For any cars bought CPO, see if two keys are required under CPO if one is missing. As I recall that was Audi's CPO deal when I bought one of those.

3. Yes I suppose some dealers keep keys here and there. I would bet though a bunch more are "lost" by lessees who don't turn them in, by auction companies that somehow don't forward all the keys they have and the like. Obviously the keys on ebay have to come from somewhere, and it's a fair bet they aren't all from wrecks.

Last edited by MP1.6T; 01-15-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:29 AM
Heaven
1st Gear
Thanks, I appreciate the info -- what is CPO?

Old 01-16-2011, 10:41 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Thanks, I appreciate the info -- what is CPO?
"Certified Pre-Owned"

Old 01-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Heaven
1st Gear
Oh yes, it was CPO and thank you ~

Old 02-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Heaven
1st Gear
Ha, interesting, they called to tell me the key was "found" and now I have it!
thank you, whomever

Old 06-16-2011, 03:29 PM
abbey1
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Heaven, the SAME with me! On purchase of 2006 MC S April 2010, no second key. However, as have had numerous problems with non mc dealership where mini purchased, all of the sudden..for service this June 2011,..a second full key appeared on my key chain. HUH? ..and I never after purchase, asked for this second key..and nobody at the dealership June 2011 told me. On one hand I'm thankful to have a second key, on the other hand being a bit cynical about this non-mini dealership..

Many Thanks

Many Thanks for ALL responses

Last edited by abbey1; 06-17-2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: don't need other info
Old 06-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by abbey1
Any input..were they lying to me at the very onset, (only 1 key) or were they detaining the 2nd key for reasons not quite ethical?

Many Thanks for ALL responses
Was this MINI traded in for new vehicle from this non-MINI dealership? I would guess something less sinister. The other customer might have (finally) found the 2nd set of keys and dropped them off at the dealership with the hopes that, someday, they will work their way to you. With each MINI that came in, they would test the keys to see if they worked on that car, and you were the winner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement key