Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

AC Compressor Oil and R134 capacity

Old 06-09-2010, 06:16 PM
cpeters
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Compressor Oil and R134 capacity

Can anyone list the oil and refrigerant capacity for a 2002 Mini Cooper S? I have purchased a rebuilt compressor and accumulator and plan on installing soon. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:47 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
One tip....after the install, go get a full vacuum pulled on it before it is charged...it will perform much better than just filling it.
The proper OIL viscosity for the compressor is important..PAG oils are sold in 3 viscocities....the compressor should be marked with the type it needs...use only the marked type...it varies based up compressor desgin...
Most compressors are sold refilled....it is good practice to drain and refil it with good fresh oil.....of known orgin from a sealed bottle...not saying all rebuilders are making junk....but first time you see the black death as it is called when the vanes wear, and contaminate the oil, destroying the system...that is why it is usually flushed, and after 2 attempts, most components are replaced (condenser, and expansion valves/orifices)..since some parts can never be assured of being clean if they don't clean up after 2 attempts.
sorry not to answer your question, but I figured this info would help you get the job done right the first time...so you don't have to toss $$ at the AC over and over again...

Old 06-09-2010, 08:48 PM
cpeters
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I planned to take it to a shop to get it vacuumed and filled, but just wanted the info for myself. The original compressor had the clutch go bad not the compressor, so I am not very concerned about dirt in the system.

The compressor came dry with a new accumulator, bag of o-rings and a bottle of oil. However, I see nothing on the compressor about oil type (maybe I will be able to see it on the original compressor when I remove it). Also, the oil they sent says "ESTER Premium synthetic lubricant" and not much else.

Mini dealer wants 1500 and another local shop that "works on Mini's" quoted me higher than that. "Rebuilt" compressor, accumulator, o-rings, oil cost $284. I guess I am willing to gamble once, but I at least want to get it as right as I can.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:27 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Cool...sounds like a gamble I would make!
It seems most cars use PAG oil these days...but what they sent you could be what is needed. I would call a mini parts department to "order the oil" and see how much...and the type...a good parts person should give you all the info you need.