Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain NM Cold Air Intake or M7 Cold Air Intake?

Old 12-26-2009, 10:23 PM
sdoo12
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NM Cold Air Intake or M7 Cold Air Intake?

I am planing on buying a cold air intake soon for my R56 and I am having trouble deciding which one to get. I like the surface area of the M7's filter, but it still uses the stock inlet tube. I like the larger inlet tube on the NM, but I am not sure if the larger inlet tube makes up for the decreased surface area on the filter.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:33 PM
proppjones
1st Gear
DDM

I installed a DDM in MY R50 - purchased it from Detroit Tuned - good folks
I think they are all pretty similar- I like the sucking sound when i stomp on it. and with the megan cat back i can barely hear myself think.

Have fun

Old 12-27-2009, 12:15 AM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
he's starting to sound like peter from M7 there... having a lot of surface area is a wonderful bragging right... but these aren't N/A cars... RAM air won't do a thing, and an open filter like M7s Super AGS i'm sure will work fine at speed but will probably heat soak like a **** like all other CAIs in heavy traffic...

here's a very quick breakdown of basically all intakes out there..
1) an intake on our car is basically a sound mod... it could help with power but only with all other supporting mods and a tune...and even then you're probably looking at 10-15whp...

2) there are basically two kinds... closed and open .. closed will be better in stop and go and open will give you sound you may be looking for...

JCW Stage 1 best you can do for stock look with hidden power and lower sound...

NM wonderful hardpipe and sound full intake...

ddmwork street, alta CAIs, replace the elbow and use the factory snorkel to put air under the filter...

DDMWorks Race Intake is a great closed system uses a RAM piece on the hood making hood scoop functional, retains stock airbox lower piece and modifies an all metal upper top with K&N intake....

M7 AGS-R basically like DDMWorks Race Intake but looses stock airbox and snorkel, makes a piece that sits on top of the engine making a basic sparkplug change kinda annoying, but very high on bling factor

M7 Super AGS basically the same as AGS-R but no funnel piece, open filter, and goes to the elbow piece like most the intakes out there...

Alta recently made a hardpipe to go with most any of these intakes (minuse NM which makes the whole intake....filter and turbo inlet hose)

Forge and K&N Typhoon intakes are like an Alta intake enclosed with a hose extending the stock snorkel into the air filter enclosure... relatively neat and clean in the engine bay but like stock setup limits induction from only one area... the snorkel...

Defenders of Speed (the one i have on my car now) is basically the best design out there IMHO, it has the perks of all the intakes with no downs... it's a closed system, with a cone filter enclosed, uses the Cowl induction method which is very big in racing, and basically makes the airbox a LOT bigger than stock or any other ones and uses the stock snorkel so you get air from the front of the car and the cowl, closed system with an open filter sound or use what Clint just came out with.. a small aluminium butterfly valve that will open under WOT and otherwise have a stock sound

aside from that there are lots of threads out there... i have one about DoS vs DDMWorks Race Intake...

happy motoring..

Old 12-27-2009, 03:13 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dunphyj excellent write up. I recently went with went with all the NM Engineering products over ALTA due to "issues" other NAM members have mentioned here in the recent past. Here is my short review of the NM Engineering intake that was recently installed on my JCW:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...installed.html

And a pic:

Old 12-27-2009, 10:34 PM
sdoo12
Neutral
I have also received a M7 Oil Catch Can, as a gift, witch requires you to have a after market air intake to install it, b/c you have to remove the fresh air pipe. so it needs an after market air intake like M7's (I wonder why?). Do any of the intakes you have suggested work w/ this, or should I just return it and use that money on the intake?

Old 12-27-2009, 11:19 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
option 2... relocate it... there has to be a way to do it....

Old 12-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by dunphyj
option 2... relocate it... there has to be a way to do it....
If you really want to install a catch can, with the DoS CAI, there's plenty of mounting space for a catch can where the stock airbox used to be. You can leave your stock air inlet tube alone, as it's needed with the DoS system.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:57 PM
ndylam
3rd Gear
Ok, let's say I want to get the NM turbo inlet pipe.
Would the DOS Intake fit the turbo inlet pipe ? Would the DDM fits the turbo inlet pipe ?

Old 02-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ndylam
Ok, let's say I want to get the NM turbo inlet pipe.
Would the DOS Intake fit the turbo inlet pipe ? Would the DDM fits the turbo inlet pipe ?
If you decide to go with the DoS CAI, I'd actually recommend the JCW turbo inlet tube/pipe. Its design features nice smooth walls (a dramatic improvement from the corrugated tube on the standard R56 'S') and a small flex section that helps to cushion the DoS CAI when the engine moves under acceleration.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:28 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
hey you still running the group buy on these

Old 02-17-2010, 05:47 AM
JamesHunt
Banned
Just buy it you will love it

Old 03-14-2010, 10:28 PM
duknbubs
1st Gear
hard pipe

Originally Posted by Mini'mon
If you decide to go with the DoS CAI, I'd actually recommend the JCW turbo inlet tube/pipe. Its design features nice smooth walls (a dramatic improvement from the corrugated tube on the standard R56 'S') and a small flex section that helps to cushion the DoS CAI when the engine moves under acceleration.

so you are saying something like the alta hardpipe would NOT compliment the DOS intake due to the lack of flex in the system. I was thinking about getting the hardpipe now (w/ my alta intake) and switching to the DOS intake when i am back in the states and can order the modified bulkhead panel. sounds like i should skip on the hardpipe then if that is my plan? I only have an "S" so i dont think the JCW pipe is an option for me. thanks.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by duknbubs
so you are saying something like the alta hardpipe would NOT compliment the DOS intake due to the lack of flex in the system. I was thinking about getting the hardpipe now (w/ my alta intake) and switching to the DOS intake when i am back in the states and can order the modified bulkhead panel. sounds like i should skip on the hardpipe then if that is my plan? I only have an "S" so i dont think the JCW pipe is an option for me. thanks.
If you want to go with the DoS intake, I'd avoid getting a hard pipe.

We're checking fitment of the JCW tube early next week on the R56 'S.' There is a difference in inlet diameters (JCW -vs.- 'S' Turbo), but we're optimistic that we can create a work-around to that issue.

-Clint

Old 03-14-2010, 11:15 PM
duknbubs
1st Gear
DOS

looking forward to it.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:32 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
ah inlet hoses....

Old 05-13-2010, 08:32 AM
mellanor
2nd Gear
Clint, did you ever resolve this? Is there a way to upgrade to a hard pipe (JCW or other) with the DoS CAI?

Old 05-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mellanor
Clint, did you ever resolve this? Is there a way to upgrade to a hard pipe (JCW or other) with the DoS CAI?
Yes, even though the turbo inlet diameters are slightly different, you can run a JCW inlet pipe on a non-JCW MCS. We put out a post confirming fitment in
this thread a short time ago.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...7-post114.html

The 'catch' is that you should use a special mini-T-bolt clamp that DoS has sourced especially for this upgrade. I'll be adding the mini-T-bolt clamps to defendersofspeed.com by tonight.

Best,

-Clint

Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 AM
ndylam
3rd Gear
Honestly, don't waste your money on the hard pipe inlet hose because you aren't gonna notice a huge different !!!
Trust Clint, he knows his products. The JCW pipe is the best candidate for the DoS intake.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Herman da German
2nd Gear
Will the D.O.S. intake hook up to a Alta air inlet tube (soft one)?

Old 05-24-2010, 05:04 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Herman da German
Will the D.O.S. intake hook up to a Alta air inlet tube (soft one)?
Yes it will.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:03 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by onefish2
Dunphyj excellent write up. I recently went with went with all the NM Engineering products over ALTA due to "issues" other NAM members have mentioned here in the recent past. Here is my short review of the NM Engineering intake that was recently installed on my JCW:

I see full setup. I am interested. I see the original fresh air snorkel is still in place. Does it provide some small amount of cool air to the intake? Where I like the nice big smooth hoses and shorter intake run, I am concerned with the potential of sucking in so much hot air from the back of the compartment.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:59 PM
tydude789
2nd Gear
Help?

Hey everyone, I'm new to the MINI scene and I don't know all the lingo, I have a 2006 MCS (non-JCW) and I'm guessing that's a R56?? Also, I'm looking at a cold air intake, I'm thinking the new Alta, because of its pretty low price. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:49 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
2006 is still R53 so you'll be Supercharged not turboed... you already have a HUGE aftermarket for your car tho

Old 01-02-2011, 06:16 PM
gothmdoc
4th Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...installed.html

And a pic:

I have the NM intake as well, the sucking sound is amazing! however I am in desperate need of a tune to free up the new potential power gains.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:09 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
That setup is long gone...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain NM Cold Air Intake or M7 Cold Air Intake?