Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacement

Old 07-01-2009, 01:59 PM
HHH
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacement

Well, add my name to those who have had to have their high pressure fuel pumps replaced. We were about an hour out of Houston en route to Austin when the the engine abruptly stopped running.....no warning....no sputter....no nothing....just stopped. We were at highway speed. As soon as I figured out what was going on, I headed for the shoulder. It wouldn't restart, so I called MINIUSA. We were towed back to Houston where they diagnosed it as a dead fuel pump. We only have about 24,000 on the clock.

I've been half way following the high pressure fuel pump problem on the carbon deposit threads (my previous problem). It sounds like this is a fairly common problem. My question is this.....Have any of you who have had this surgery done on your MCSs had to have it done a 2nd or 3rd time? My reason for asking is that I'm wondering if they're replacing the original pump with the same, flawed equipment which will probably go out again. Or, have they sorted out the problem & corrected it?

HHH

Old 07-01-2009, 04:48 PM
bart5467
4th Gear
i also just had mine replaced @53,000 MINI USA was nice enough to replace it under Warranty even after the Warranty was up

Old 07-01-2009, 04:49 PM
NikiMae31
3rd Gear
Hopefully this isn't a common problem. I just bought an 07 MCS on Wednesday. Thursday morning I get ready to head to work, and it didn't start. The dealer I bought it from had Mini Peabody come get it and fix it. Turns out the high pressure fuel pump had died. Is this something I should stay on the look out for?

Old 07-02-2009, 03:40 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
My HPFP died last December, about 24k miles. I say it's one to a customer but it's definitely a part that goes out based on what I've seen on this forum.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
Actually, it seems like there's a lot less talk about the fuel pump failing than the cold start rattle. Either way, I think you have to treat any statistical conclusions drawn from the number of posts made here with a high degree of skepticism.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:34 PM
sziehr
2nd Gear
Count me in that one
at less than 3k miles they yanked mine out
The light then came back on and they think it was a ghost they said drive it till the light comes on a 3rd time

Old 07-14-2009, 02:56 PM
HHH
2nd Gear
Mine died en route from Houston to Austin about 2 or 3 weeks ago. They towed it back to Houston. The 1st diagnosis was the fuel pump had died. Then they said the fuel pump was O.K. & somehow the siphon in the tank was malfunctioning & not sucking up fuel. Interesting....I wonder if that could be a contributing factor in some of the fuel pump failures. The fuel pump gets starved.....The fuel pump over heats.....etc. I think they said they replaced the siphon & fuel filter. Anyhow, all's well & we drove away.

HHH

Old 09-02-2009, 09:26 AM
acender
1st Gear
I just had my high pressure fuel pump replaced under warranty at 28K miles. I hope the one they put in was better than the one that came out. It had started to sputter our at part throttle acceleration, and then would not stay running on start up when cold (sitting overnight)

Old 09-02-2009, 11:14 AM
mamut
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
count me in also..was driving and the engine stopped. 15500 miles 08 mcs

Old 09-03-2009, 05:57 AM
skimmilk
2nd Gear
I've posted elsewhere but mine died at 700 miles.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:08 PM
KWK
Neutral
6 months (5,800 mi) old and...

...just picked up mine from the dealership with the same issue. About three weeks ago the car had a hard time turning over but once going it was fine. Just this past Monday the engine light came on had to take it to the dealer and viola' new high pressure fuel pump.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:18 PM
kymummer
2nd Gear
Count me in on this one as well. Like Acender, I was "fortunate" enough to have the cold-start (sitting overnight) problem. Just had the hpfp replaced last week. All's well for now, 30K on the '07 MCS odo. Here's hoping it is truly "one to a customer"

Old 09-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Mine died in my 07 MCS before I traded it in. I think it was at about 20k. It wouldn't start when cold outside and normally took several tries to get it going.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:03 PM
pete v
1st Gear
The HPFP in my '09 MCCS died at 340 miles...

Old 09-10-2009, 09:27 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Has anyone had this done outside of warranty? I just had my timing chain/tensioner/guide rail/etc replaced, which MINI replaced under warranty due to all my previous complaints to the dealer about it. The very next start (the next morning, since it was running when I picked it up) was a stalled start that worsened to an engine light over about six days. Quote for parts only is $1072?! I know DFI is high pressure, so I was expecting more than a "normal" fuel pump, but daaaaang.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by pete v
The HPFP in my '09 MCCS died at 340 miles...
Seems like more of the newer cars are having this problem... (knock on wood ) ....

Old 09-15-2009, 09:10 PM
skimmilk
2nd Gear
I wonder if its the same part that just had on with the 1-series. It just got an extended warranty out to 10 years.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245241

Old 09-15-2009, 09:43 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Interesting! It does look like there's new version too, as of 04/08. Well, at this point I believe I've hit every major common mechanical fault, so here's to driving on without any more issues!

Old 09-16-2009, 08:25 PM
skimmilk
2nd Gear
Well, mine died at 700 miles and its a 6/09 build... from what I understand after further review, the HPFP is bad on a lot of recent turbocharged BMWs.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:19 PM
vidd
1st Gear
HPFP getting replaced, MCS R56 51k miles

Our 2007 MCS R56 is having it's timing chain tensioner and high pressure fuel pump replaced as we speak. 1000 miles out of warranty. Mini and the dealership are covering them both. Though they would only do it if we paid then to cover break fluid replacement and cabin filter replacement. The car had to be "up to date on it's service". I suppose that's fair, though the cabin filter replacement is "dumb".

Old 02-24-2010, 10:50 AM
vidd
1st Gear
Vanoss solenoid, High Pressure Fuel Pump fun.

Originally Posted by vidd
Our 2007 MCS R56 is having it's timing chain tensioner and high pressure fuel pump replaced as we speak. 1000 miles out of warranty. Mini and the dealership are covering them both. Though they would only do it if we paid then to cover break fluid replacement and cabin filter replacement. The car had to be "up to date on it's service". I suppose that's fair, though the cabin filter replacement is "dumb".
Turned out to be the timing chain tensioner, and the Vanoss solenoid. That was in November. They replaced the HP fuel pump, and it didn't fix the problem the first time. It's Feb 2010 now, and the R56 is back in the shop. They tell us it's the HP fuel pump, and will cost $1200 to replace. We were told they replaced it under good will the first time. Don't know how this will play out. Will update our post again with the answer.

Ug...

Old 02-24-2010, 04:36 PM
MattSaint
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am curious. What style pump is it? I remember back in 1983 the Subaru GL wagon would go through fuel pumps if you ran it low on gas all the time. It was a recirculating type which relied on the gas tank being roughly 1/4 full...

~MattS

Old 02-24-2010, 11:27 PM
skimmilk
2nd Gear
I dunno if the HPFP is the one cooled by the gas or whatever, but being in TX where things can get hot, I've gotten in the habit of refilling when I get around 3 bars.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:07 AM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vidd
They tell us it's the HP fuel pump, and will cost $1200 to replace. We were told they replaced it under good will the first time. Don't know how this will play out. Will update our post again with the answer.

Don't stand for this. Not for one second. The HPFPs are a known piece o' crap, and all you need to do to make that case is print out page after page of posts about them failing from here and any other Mini board with any traffic. For good measure, you could do the same from BMW boards, as the HPFPs fail just as frequently (if not more so) on the twin turbo N54 motor that's been around since '07.. and the problem still persists.

When and how many miles ago did they replace the HPFP the first time? Because there should be some sort of warranty on the new pump, even if they "paid" for its replacement.

Good luck, keep us posted. Don't cave in!

Old 02-25-2010, 07:08 AM
vidd
1st Gear
2 pumps on a turbocharged MCS

Originally Posted by MattSaint
I am curious. What style pump is it? I remember back in 1983 the Subaru GL wagon would go through fuel pumps if you ran it low on gas all the time. It was a recirculating type which relied on the gas tank being roughly 1/4 full...

~MattS
The R56 turbocharged MCS has two pumps. One in the tank, and one in the engine bay. The one in question is the High Pressure pump in the engine bay. This feeds fuel from the fuel line to the fuel rail at a higher pressure than a normally aspirated engine. This is the ~$1200 pump.

The one in the gas tank works like most other in tank pumps in that it's cooled by the gas in the tank (i believe). In the R53 and R56 Mini Coopers, there are two access ports under the rear bench seat. One for fuel pump access, and the other for fuel filter access. The fuel filter is a canister type. Mini specs claim this to be a lifetime filter. Most owners don't agree. Have you seen our gas? When this gets partially clogged, it can cause the in tank filter to burn out. This is not a common issue, but it does happen. IF you believe your Mini has gas problems (sorry), check the fuel pump fuse, then filter, then in tank pump. Testing fuel pressure is "easy" also, and the gauges are pretty cheap. Though, the Mini dealership techs don't seem to know how to do this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacement