Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Windshield Seal Filler Strip

Old 07-26-2009, 06:23 AM
OKMini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Seal Filler Strip

I have my new seals fitted and put the glass back in for my front windshield and rear window. I also have the filler strip insertion tool - handle with diamond shape wire for opening up the seal to install the filler strip.

My question for those that have installed their own seals, glass, & filler strip is what is the right technique for installing the filler strip. I originally went to use my old seals and managed to tear the seal - probably in part due to its age. This was probably a blessing as I was trying to save some $$ and was probably a bad idea.

Now I am concerned about damaging the new seal and my first attempts to install the filler strip did not go well - can anyone help with some pointers on how best to accomplish the installation????

Thanks for any help!

Old 07-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
hire a profesional???

glass is one of those things that I find rather unforgiving, You can 'de-nib' paint ... even re-paint. Or pull the engine back out and start over.

Busted glass is Busted glass ...

well that's what we we're taught in auto-body class anyway

Old 07-27-2009, 06:58 AM
qskapunk
3rd Gear
Old 07-28-2009, 07:46 AM
tr6drvr
2nd Gear
Read Punks post and watch the videos first.

I did it late this past winter without the benefit of that post. First, make sure its really warm when you work...trust me on that. Second, I used white lithium grease to lubricate the channel before insterting the strip. Messy but I found it worked a lot better than soapy water, windhshield cleaner, silicon spray. But maybe if I had not been doing this in like 35-40 degrees the less greasy methods might have worked. Also, it takes some elbow grease to get going but once its under way it goes fairly smoothly. The tool is funky and it takes a few tries to get a feel for how it works. I found at times I had to sort of work it side to side to get the strip down in the channel. It left some dents in the strip but those went away after we thawed out. Check the fitting as you go along, you likely will need at some points to partly pull it back out and re-do a section to get it properly fit down in the channel. When you begin, you should check the centering of the starting point at least till you round the first corner, as it will shift from pulling. Use a very sharp razor knife to cut the end when you are fully around for a nice tight fit. When done, use your fingernail or something very thin to work the lip of the rubber up over the strip where it is puckered. Then clean it up and admire your good work!

Old 07-28-2009, 10:08 AM
mk1leg
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Take your time and If your right handed start top middle working anticlockwise and if left handed clockwise with enev pressure and do not force it around corners feed gently.....................

Old 07-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Red Riley
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tr6drvr
Second, I used white lithium grease to lubricate the channel before insterting the strip. Messy but I found it worked a lot better than soapy water, windhshield cleaner, silicon spray.
I was told by someone who has done lots of Mini windshields that the best lubricant (don't laugh) is KY jelly. It's water based, cleans up easy, and, well, it's made to make things easier to insert.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 AM
mk1leg
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
naughty ...naughty..KY ................lol............

I herd its a good sex aid.................

you put it on door handles...............

and it stops her perants from getting in............Doh.............

Old 07-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
Feed the strip thru the tool. Use the tool to push the strip in. I found white lithium grease (or similar) is excellent and it gooes in rapidly.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:11 PM
OKMini
4th Gear
Thanks for all the help on this. Video sure makes it look easy... I just got home from a long business trip, so I will be trying to install the filler strip tomorrow.

Now I just have to select the right lubricant.... Perhaps, I should pick one where I get my $$'s worth and will get to use the extra for something else

Old 07-31-2009, 03:58 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Now I just have to select the right lubricant.... Perhaps, I should pick one where I get my $$'s worth and will get to use the extra for something else

OK, but I don't think quality wheel bearing grease will be a good choice for the window . . .

Old 07-31-2009, 07:43 PM
GI Joe
1st Gear
Hey Capt, I Don't think that's the one he was referring to..
I bet he means the White lithium, That way he can refill any rechargeable batteries he has about the house! Yeah, that's it!

Let us know how it goes, this is on my long Mini list of To-Do's...
Where did you get your filler strip material?