Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Velcro Disc Fasteners for Floor Mats

Old 07-02-2009, 06:56 PM
whorrace
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Velcro Disc Fasteners for Floor Mats

Just took delivery of my 2009 CR Cabrio and noticed that the floor mats that the dealer installed are held down with Velcro discs that pierce the interior of the vehicle on the driver's side!!!!!!!! Why would they ruin the interior of the car to install a feature (floor mats) that are intended to protect it? Is this "standard" or is my dealer simply incompetent?

Thanks.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
5th Gear
Both of our Clubman's are the same.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:14 PM
ricbow
5th Gear
standard

Old 07-02-2009, 07:28 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
It is necessary to match the piercings of the front bumper when installing the license plate bracket

But the disks are necesary to keep the mat on the drivers side from creeping up and getting caught behind brake/clutch pedals.....

I have a set of coco mats, and the disks do nothing to keep them in place. I am trying to figure out a way to keep these coco mats in place because they keep creeping up when driving....can be a real PITA.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:49 PM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
The holes are already there in the carpet. My mats came without discs and I had to ask for them, and I found the holes pre-cut. So it's not like the license plate holder, really.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:16 PM
pillar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah... standard...

cept mine still and will always creep up no matter what i do. i think it will soon be time to go jcw... unless those are held by velcro (someone confirm please!)

Old 07-02-2009, 10:46 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
glad i have velcro, kinda wish the passenger side had it too.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:50 AM
whorrace
1st Gear
Thanks. Reassuring to know that the dealer is not incompetent. Pretty cheesy standard feature though...

Old 07-03-2009, 05:18 AM
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pillar
yeah... standard...

cept mine still and will always creep up no matter what i do. i think it will soon be time to go jcw... unless those are held by velcro (someone confirm please!)
JCW mats use the velcro also

Old 07-03-2009, 05:36 AM
ChrisNJ
2nd Gear
My BMW has the same thing.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:08 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
so you dont want any mats at all?

if theres mats the disks are covered up.... AND they wont go moving...seeing that these cars have the gas pedal comming up from the floorboard instead of from the firewall (like older/other cars), it could be a safety issue, if they were to creep up there.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:57 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by whorrace
Thanks. Reassuring to know that the dealer is not incompetent. Pretty cheesy standard feature though...
Not cheesy at all IMHO. I love them being there. If needed they can actually be removed.

MY BMW has them on both sides of the front. I wish my MINI was that way and I may even purchase them and put them in on the passenger side. Both front mats creep forward if they are not there.

I wish I had had them on all my other cars where I used mats. I would not have had to fight with the mats creeping up if they had been there. I was constantly having to move the mats back into position until I got the BMW.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:52 AM
whorrace
1st Gear
I am down with mats, but many cars now have a small permanent hook bolted to the floor into which the mats are attached. Very effective. What is cheesy about the set-up in my 2009 S is the way in which the velcro discs are attached to the carpet (a molded plastic screw that can pop out easily, revealing an ugly hole in the carpet). That's all I am saying.

Cheers.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:10 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
^^^^ true, the hooks are a lot better IMO too.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:51 PM
jessicaledw
4th Gear
I haven't called the dealership about getting the plastic discs for my car, but I really wish that my rubber mats were like my Dad's. He has an '05 MCS with the rubber mats and they have those grippy teeth on the bottom. His never slide around and they look just as nice. Too bad I can't steal them when he isn't looking

Old 07-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Hawkeye
3rd Gear
Floor mats

My 2009 Clubbie came with the velcro/attachment to the floor carpet. I ordered black floor inserts from Weather Tech/McNeil (out of Chicago) & removerd the OEM mats. I like them better than floormats and they are easy to removed and clean, etc. The most important benefit is that they will not allow winter weather debris to accumulate on the floor carpet. I've used them for years in my other cars and can vouch for their effectiveness and efficiency.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
Wow I cant believe someone is complaining about a 3 centimeter hole in the carpet of their car. Doesnt every OEM mat for every other car company do the EXACT same thing? Its there to hold the mat in place so they dont slide around like people have already said.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^^

I agree.

My Clubman came with the all weather rubber mats (at my request), and they didn't give me the velcro fasteners. Just an FYI, even without the velcro discs being there, the mats slid around like crazy, it was very annoying. PLUS the holes are already in the carpet, so even if your car didn't have the discs that they put, you would still have the holes in the carpet as a guide so you know where to put the discs for installation. The dealer mailed them to me and I installed them in about 15 seconds. Point is, if you planned on having mats in your car, you need the velcro discs there if you don't want a mat sliding all over the floor.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:07 AM
dbclub
1st Gear
My experience is that the velcro sticks to the driver side floor mat (I have the stock rubber ones) with more force that the plastic screw holds on to the styrofoam under the carpet; the result of which is that the screw pulled right out of the floor when I went to remove the mat for cleaning (after about eight months of ownership, second time I had removed the mats). Not a good design, as the hole is now stripped out, and the screw kind of swims around in there, getting bigger all the time.

Only quibble on the car, though--other than that it has been wonderful.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:06 PM
torobud
4th Gear
Trust me after driving mine without for 6 months... I really appreciate those little discs...

Old 10-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Safety reason why Toyota is recalling a bunch of their cars. Also the dealership doesn't have them separately. You have to get whole new mats. I did this last week and they covered it under warranty

Old 10-07-2009, 07:05 PM
taysan
2nd Gear
I got a set of the Weathertech floor liners for my 2008 Clubman, and they come with holes in the front mats to mate presumably with hooks, which of course are non-existent. Kinda silly. I've commented as such to Weathertech.

I'm curious if the hook part of standard velcro would stick to the carpet on the floor of the car. If it did, I'd augment the round disks by putting strips of velcro on the underside of the carpeted floor mats to keep them in place.

With the Weathertech liners in place, in the summer I'm using the carpeted floor mats on top for looks, but in winter they will be put away. I might pull the driver side out now to keep it from slipping up.

The Weathertech's are a very good fit - the rear liner is a little off in the hump area, and the useless holes in the front are kinda dumb, but those aside, they're great.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:21 PM
zack_S_moore
3rd Gear
Hey guys--I have the mat's, but no discs for the floor.

Are the discs supposed to come with the mat's, or do I have order those from the dealer and pay extra?

Thanks.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by zack_S_moore
Hey guys--I have the mat's, but no discs for the floor.

Are the discs supposed to come with the mat's, or do I have order those from the dealer and pay extra?

Thanks.
Yes they are suppose to come with the mats

Old 11-20-2009, 06:36 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The disks attached to my floor pan are just fine, but the fabric disks on the underside of my OEM rubber floormats have peeled off. Anyone else have this issue? Any solutions?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Velcro Disc Fasteners for Floor Mats