Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

URGENT HELP NEEDED-Engine fan keeps running!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 02:43 PM
LockjawDavis
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2003 MINI Cooper is turned off in my driveway, but the engine fan is roaring away. It has been for about 15 minutes with no sign of turning off. Any suggestions? Anyone know which fuse to pull to shut the thing off? My battery will be dead within an hour I'm sure, so I'd appreciate any help ASAP!
Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-13-2005, 02:45 PM
lexbomb
3rd Gear
That has happened to me a couple of times too on my '04 when I race and the engine is pretty hot. Usually, I start it up and let it idle for a bit to let the coolant circulate, then shut it down. That's what seems to work for me.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:47 PM
LockjawDavis
3rd Gear
Thanks Lex. Tried that earlier with no luck

Old 10-13-2005, 03:00 PM
LockjawDavis
3rd Gear
Anybody??

Old 10-13-2005, 03:05 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thats normal, ive had my fan run for about 1/2 hour to 45 min before while i'm at class. it will go off

Old 10-13-2005, 03:53 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read posts about the fan getting stuck on and the only thing that turns it off is pulling the fuse. I don't have the MINI or Bentley maual in front of me so you'd have to find out yourself which fuse it is.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:57 PM
conehead
3rd Gear
Last chance effort might be to disconect the main battery and see if it starts up again after re connecting.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:54 PM
LockjawDavis
3rd Gear
Thanks. Eventually, I just disconnected the battery to shut the damn thing off. Luckily, it's still under warranty for two weeks. In the meantime, it looks like I'll just have to keep a wrench in my backpocket.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:05 PM
BigBrownDog
4th Gear
This happened to me on my '02 - there is a resistor pack that is part of the fan assembly that fails and causes the fan to run continuously. There is a power connector to the fan that you can disconnect when you stop the car until you get it fixed. It's just to the right of the radiator shroud and is oval shaped. I think it has 6 pins inside. If you disconnect it the fan will stop.

The repair requires the entire fan assembly to be replaced.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:08 PM
BigKart
1st Gear
Fan

This problem happened with mine. You can pull a single fuse to get the fan to stop. Just start taking the big ones out. It's an accessory fan, not the coolant fan (A/C).

It's a $500 part for repair, so you're lucky it's under warranty. They have to pull the whole front-end, naturally, to get to it. Just make sure that they don't break your A/C condenser like they did mine, because that's an additional $900 repair.

Mini replaced the fan under a "customer service warranty extension" (my 'freebie'), but I had to pay the $900+ condenser repair. That didn't set well with me, not at all.

So make sure that your A/C still works... it only took a weekend for mine to leak down where they cracked the condenser.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:27 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BigKart
This problem happened with mine. You can pull a single fuse to get the fan to stop. Just start taking the big ones out. It's an accessory fan, not the coolant fan (A/C).

It's a $500 part for repair, so you're lucky it's under warranty. They have to pull the whole front-end, naturally, to get to it. Just make sure that they don't break your A/C condenser like they did mine, because that's an additional $900 repair.

Mini replaced the fan under a "customer service warranty extension" (my 'freebie'), but I had to pay the $900+ condenser repair. That didn't set well with me, not at all.

So make sure that your A/C still works... it only took a weekend for mine to leak down where they cracked the condenser.

Thats retarded.....How can you make someone pay for something YOU broke. Some shops are messed up.

Old 02-04-2006, 05:52 AM
barnhillld
2nd Gear

Did you get this fixed yet? What did it turn out to be, what parts were required, etc?

My son drove the wife's 02 Mini last night, battery is stone cold dead this morning and when we put jumper cables on it, the fan came on immediately leading me to believe this might be culprit.

It's at 65k so well off warranty and I'll be fixing this myself it appears so any advice is well appreciated.

Cheers,
Lloyd

Old 02-04-2006, 07:36 AM
barnhillld
2nd Gear
Well..... this is a strange one.... got my wife's car home (via tow truck) after the fan stayed on all night and ran the battery down. Started messing around with things... jumper cables on it so I have power, I removed both relays that have a fan pictures (R3 & R4) and removed the 30 amp fuse that has the picture of the fan... the dang thing continues to run anyway...... Unplugged the main power to the fan and of course it stops, but plug the power back in and it starts up again...

All of this with no key in the ignition, let alone running or hot. There is obviously another path for power besides the path through the relay and the fuse. New Country Mini service department in Hartford called me back and says it sounds like the controller on the fan, but of course no real advice from them unless I bring it in for full diagnostic service... 50 miles away and not under warranty anymore at 65,000 miles.

Anyone have any advice for how to narrow and identify the real cause so I can consider replacing parts myself?

Thanks,
Lloyd

Old 02-15-2006, 07:15 PM
vmiloggie
Neutral
check you fluid resevoir , mine was cracked and caused my engien fan to run continuous...deal fixed it and the constant fan went away...

Old 10-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Tweedi
1st Gear
I see this hasn't been posted so I'll tell my Mini Coolant fan story. First, there's a 50 amp fuse in the box under the hood. If you're standing on the (USA) driver side of the Mini, the fuse is one of the larger ones in the "back" of the box and to the left from there.

In my case I got concerned before the battery was killed. I pulled the fuse after I was done driving when I realized there was a problem. I felt the coolant bottle and thought maybe my coolant wasn't circulating right (the bottle was HOT ). At home and work the parking lots are anything but flat but I found a flat spot and stopped long enough to check my oil. While I wasn't "engine damage" low, I definately needed oil. So, I stopped, pulled the fuse, got the oil and put it in. Replaced the fuse in its little space and voila! no more fan trouble. The fan runs normally now. Before you spend a TON of money to make a repair you may not need. You can ALWAYS check your oil for free.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Tweedi
1st Gear
More Fan Trouble

Okay, since posting the previous reply, I've started having more trouble with my fan. It recently started running full speed even after I shut down the car. Last night I pulled the fuse after I was sure I wasn't going to be driving any more. When I came out this morning and plugged the fuse in it started running at full speed. My coolant level is fine and I have full oil according to my dip stick.

My Mini is '02 MCS with less than 40,000. So has anyone got any ideas as far as what it may be and how to trouble shoot the issue to help narrow it down. I've got some friends out here who can help me with a DIY if I can ID the issue. I'm hoping it is a simple inexpensive fix vs a dealer/repair shop fix that's going to empty my wallet. Help me NAM your my only hope... well okay my first destination for help anyway.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Sullivan'sDaddy
3rd Gear
Tweedi sounds like you might need to take it in to have a diagnostic test done. It may be a bad resistor, same thing others have posted, which means the whole fan assembly needs to be replaced = removing the front end = about $400 in parts and about the same in labor. They might not charge you for the diag test $150-$185, because getting it fixed is already big bucks.

Here is a similar thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ease-help.html

Old 12-10-2008, 08:57 PM
paipuky
4th Gear
I happened to me too. Stayed running for up to 3 minutes after shutting car down. I took it to the dealer and they fixed it. I think it was a sensor. No big deal.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:06 PM
mechy1958
Neutral
mini cooper fan keeps running after I turn ignition off!

Mine is a 2006 mini cooper, with 30K miles, and 2 weeks ago it happened for the first time, and today again. I have to turn it off and on a few times before the fan actually turns off. What's up with that? A recall or something?

Old 06-09-2009, 02:15 PM
RootyK
Neutral
could be you need to replace thermostat?

Old 06-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BigKart

Why did you pay for the condenser? I would have put a wrench through the skull of the mech and still make him pay for it.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Bajanmini
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quite a while back i had the same problem,i disconnected the plug on the radiator to shut it down for about two days and when connecting i heard lots of clicking as in relays working,and presto it's worked ever sinse.I have read in another thread that light tapping of the controller box located behind and on top of the radiator can also do the fix,mine started working before i got there but sounded like thats where the clicking was coming from as it fixed itself.Try that stuff before replacement and hope it's of help.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:21 AM
elusion
1st Gear
I had this problem recently and my car is a CPO so took it into the MINI shop. There was a coolant leak which was causing the auxiliary fan to stay on after I switched off the car to cool it down.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:54 PM
nikkihaker
Neutral
This problem happened with mine. You can pull a single fuse to get the fan to stop, just remember to plug it back in the next time you drive.

I needed to replace the fan (along with about $6000 dollars in other repairs, including two oil leaks, power steering fan, $1300 electrical problem caused by the A/C drain clogging and leaking water in to my car, a drained battery and a smattering of other issues.

Time for a new car, I think, instead of throwing any more at this one.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Juliet
Neutral
Fan Motor Running

Mine is doing that, too. A few times it has helped to put the car in neutral, put on the emergency brake, and then turn off the key. However, it's somewhat random, and now the thermostat is heating up. That's why I'm on this forum looking for help!

Quick Reply: URGENT HELP NEEDED-Engine fan keeps running!