Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain RMW shorty code P0036

Old 02-02-2009, 07:36 AM
chad1140
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RMW shorty code P0036

Allright here are my stats 2006 JCW with 23k miles. Put in a RMW header and P0420 code comes on after a couple months. Then I put in a 02 Sim and cleared the computer code and then P0036 comes on after about 15 miles. Does anyone have any ideas as to what can be done. I seriously want these codes to go away. I would have never put in the dang header had I known it would have so many issues with codes, and lets face it........inspections if you have a street car.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the same concerns. I am getting a bit tired of driving around with the CEL on.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Luys
4th Gear
Guys, Have you tried to call Jan? I think he has the solution for this problem. Let us know

Old 02-02-2009, 11:24 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Luys
Guys, Have you tried to call Jan? I think he has the solution for this problem. Let us know
Have discussed issue with my mechanic and RMW. Apparently Magnaflow manufactured a bad batch of high flow cats. They are working on a solution and should have something in the next few weeks.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Mini_Joe
3rd Gear
I swear... some of you folks should have left your cars stock, especially if something as innocent as a Check Engine Light is causing you grief.

How about you take off your RMW header and put the stock one back on?

No check engine light, no worries about louder exhaust noises, etc.
In fact, I'm sure you will find more then one willing buyer, even with all the "headaches" you get.

And yeah, there's an updated bung that can be inserted between the 02 sensor and the header... I suppose I'll install it eventually, but dang.... how bothersome is it really?

Old 02-02-2009, 04:46 PM
auscoops
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by davisflyer
Have discussed issue with my mechanic and RMW. Apparently Magnaflow manufactured a bad batch of high flow cats. They are working on a solution and should have something in the next few weeks.

That's an interesting one! I have had the same code problem. Changed sensor, code still comes back... I wonder in RMW have a plan for rectifying the magnaflow botch?

Old 02-02-2009, 05:29 PM
COOUUPER S
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Come on guys, the p0420 code can be fixed very easily.
This is what you peeps needs for the p0420 code..
http://www.amazon.com/Check-Engine-L.../dp/B000LI5W2W

The p0036 code you are having is not because of the cat. Check the wires of your 02 sensor, if everything is good then you might have a bad o2 sensor. Do a search on google or here for p0036 and you will find some info.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...0036-help.html

Old 02-02-2009, 06:56 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Joe
I swear... some of you folks should have left your cars stock, especially if something as innocent as a Check Engine Light is causing you grief.

How about you take off your RMW header and put the stock one back on?
No major complaints here. I love the header.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Mini_Joe
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by davisflyer
No major complaints here. I love the header.
As do I... but I can also appreciate the JCW ad-ons that the DEALER can install, so the DEALER can field all of the questions about the issues that come up after the install.

For example, I think I've developed an exhaust leak with my RWM shorty equipped car! OH NOES! IT'S FAULTY.

Then I thought about it and realized a cone I ran over yesterday at the local BMW autocross is probably suspect, rather then a faulty design

I'm actually wincing at home much my "local" dealer (only Mini dealer in San Diego) is going to charge for an exhaust gasket. Hopefully it will just be some loose bolts and nothing more.

If not, you'll hear it hear first!

Old 02-02-2009, 10:52 PM
silversmoke06
Banned
My header dosent have issues.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:10 AM
kenatminimania
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can try swapping the upstream and downstream sensors to see if anything changes. Both sensors use the same part number.

k

Old 02-03-2009, 08:26 AM
curv872
4th Gear
Try this Joe. Has solved many a leak for me.

As do I... but I can also appreciate the JCW ad-ons that the DEALER can install, so the DEALER can field all of the questions about the issues that come up after the install.

For example, I think I've developed an exhaust leak with my RWM shorty equipped car! OH NOES! IT'S FAULTY.

Then I thought about it and realized a cone I ran over yesterday at the local BMW autocross is probably suspect, rather then a faulty design

I'm actually wincing at home much my "local" dealer (only Mini dealer in San Diego) is going to charge for an exhaust gasket. Hopefully it will just be some loose bolts and nothing more.

If not, you'll hear it hear first!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Mini_Joe
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by curv872
Try this Joe. Has solved many a leak for me.

Thanks man, will do!

Old 02-04-2009, 08:32 AM
chad1140
3rd Gear
Well I wouldn't worry about a service engine soon light if I didn't have to get the car inspected by New York States computer linked DMV system, there isn't a way to hide anymore here. I haven't switched the sensors yet because the pre cat sensor should not have the 02 sim as far as I understand, where my post cat 02 sensor currently has the 02 sensor soddered in. Guess I'll drop the 200 bucks and run a new 02 in the rear. Its a legitimate complaint when someone buys a STREET header to run on the STREET and then you get codes that keep your vehicle from being inspected so that you can't run it on the street without concern over getting an inspection ticket. But New York State is up there with Cali as far as emissions maybe a little better maybe a little worse.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by chad1140
Well I wouldn't worry about a service engine soon light if I didn't have to get the car inspected by New York States computer linked DMV system, there isn't a way to hide anymore here. I haven't switched the sensors yet because the pre cat sensor should not have the 02 sim as far as I understand, where my post cat 02 sensor currently has the 02 sensor soddered in. Guess I'll drop the 200 bucks and run a new 02 in the rear. Its a legitimate complaint when someone buys a STREET header to run on the STREET and then you get codes that keep your vehicle from being inspected so that you can't run it on the street without concern over getting an inspection ticket. But New York State is up there with Cali as far as emissions maybe a little better maybe a little worse.
Did you ever think of just calling me for help?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Thanks man, will do!
it's the 2 bolt gasket?

Text me your address again and I will send you the gasket today

Old 02-04-2009, 05:32 PM
yellowbritishrocket
Banned
im having the same prob not long after install...ive talked to jan extensively and in person and the solution is in the works by jan....have no fear all...

Old 02-04-2009, 06:12 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by yellowbritishrocket
I've talked to jan extensively and in person and the solution is in the works by jan....have no fear all...
What he said

Old 02-05-2009, 07:44 AM
chad1140
3rd Gear
Jan I have talked to you........personally.........you told me to run the O2 sim....which I did, but it did not solve the problem. I have been told by some other people that the O2 to run is the MiniMadness one because it is better as far as longivity which I will switch in and then try with a new 200 dollar O2 sensor after that if it dosen't resolve the problem. I then will be putting it back to stock if it still continues.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by chad1140
Jan I have talked to you........personally.........you told me to run the O2 sim....which I did, but it did not solve the problem. I have been told by some other people that the O2 to run is the MiniMadness one because it is better as far as longivity which I will switch in and then try with a new 200 dollar O2 sensor after that if it dosen't resolve the problem. I then will be putting it back to stock if it still continues.

you don't need to run a simulator, you need this bung that places the 02 sensor differently in the airstream

email me your address and I will send you one out. It seems like what you are using is wired wrong.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
you don't need to run a simulator, you need this bung that places the 02 sensor differently in the airstream
Just trying to understand the issue here...so the O2 sensor is too far in the air stream right now, and your bung spacer moves it out?

I remember when I removed the pre-cat from my stock manifiold, my friend that bent and welded the replacement pipe used a deeper bung and said specifically that he has seen cars(not necessarily MINIs) that throw the SES light if the O2 is too far in the airstream.

Just wondering if that is what's happening here.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by Partsman
Just trying to understand the issue here...so the O2 sensor is too far in the air stream right now, and your bung spacer moves it out?

I remember when I removed the pre-cat from my stock manifiold, my friend that bent and welded the replacement pipe used a deeper bung and said specifically that he has seen cars(not necessarily MINIs) that throw the SES light if the O2 is too far in the airstream.

Just wondering if that is what's happening here.

seems to be the case, I have spoken with the Magnaflow engineers about this, so I tried it with a different bung. Sure enough, it's gone

Old 02-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
seems to be the case, I have spoken with the Magnaflow engineers about this, so I tried it with a different bung. Sure enough, it's gone
That's cool...at least it's an easy fix.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:36 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear

Coool.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:17 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Curious (since I've through a few different rich codes) - which bung are you extending -pre- or post-cat? I've seen the J-bung - is that what you're using?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain RMW shorty code P0036