Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Water pump leak

Old 01-31-2009, 06:01 PM
TXMCS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water pump leak

[FONT=Arial]The dealership has diagnosed my anti-freeze leak down to the water pump. They will replace it for $760 labor plus $250 for the part.
I have the tools and am confident I can do it myself, but can anyone tell me how tough it is, where it's located, and where can I get a good manual to help me.
My 03 MCS only has 34K miles. This shouldn't be leaking already.
Thanks![/FONT]

Old 01-31-2009, 06:15 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The water pump is bolted to the back of the supercharger, number 1 in this illustration...

...at first, you may be discouraged because you can barely see it with everything assembled, but don't let that stop you.
It's not a difficult job...just a little time consuming because there is not a lot of room to work in there, unless you put the car in "service mode"(removing the bumper cover,bumper bar,etc)
You should get a Bentley manual if you are not familiar with working on a MINI.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:33 PM
TXMCS
1st Gear
Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!
The Bentley Manual is the way to go.
Thanks
Jeff

Old 01-31-2009, 06:48 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
You're welcome, anytime.
Just take your time, and you'll be fine...and welcome to NAM.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:48 AM
JIM_GRAHAM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice reply! Great illustration...

Originally Posted by Partsman
The water pump is bolted to the back of the supercharger, number 1 in this illustration...

...at first, you may be discouraged because you can barely see it with everything assembled, but don't let that stop you.
It's not a difficult job...just a little time consuming because there is not a lot of room to work in there, unless you put the car in "service mode"(removing the bumper cover,bumper bar,etc)
You should get a Bentley manual if you are not familiar with working on a MINI.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:26 AM
TXMCS
1st Gear
I agree and it was very helpful!

But, one more question or questions, while I'm buying the parts and manual. Do you know if I need any special tooling, fluids, or if need to buy any gaskets that aren't related to the water pump change i.e. supercharger gaskets?

Thanks in advance for your additional help.

Oh, and one more, is the dealership the best place to get the pump or can I be assure that another supplier will give me the BMW OEM part? You know, typically the dealership is the highest price.

Thanks
Jeff

Old 02-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by JIM_GRAHAM
Nice reply! Great illustration...
Thanks.
Originally Posted by TXMCS
Do you know if I need any special tooling, fluids, or if need to buy any gaskets that aren't related to the water pump change i.e. supercharger gaskets?
You will need the O-ring for the pump-to-block connection, but that should come with the pump. Other than some coolant, you won't need any other fluids.

There is a water pump drive in between the supercharger and the pump, but there is no gasket/seal for the drive-to-pump interface.

You do not need to remove the water pump drive to change the pump.

To make pump removal a little easier...make sure the "interlock" where the drive actually connects to the pump is up-and-down. This way you can pull the pump away from the block and slide it out of the interlock. You'll see what I mean when you get in there. If the interlock is not up-and-down you can remove the accessory belt and turn the supercharger pulley until it is.

Oh, and one more, is the dealership the best place to get the pump or can I be assure that another supplier will give me the BMW OEM part? You know, typically the dealership is the highest price.

Thanks
Jeff
I know some guys on here use Pelican Parts, but I don't know if they sell factory BMW/MINI parts.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Mahatma Kane
1st Gear
[FONT=Arial]
My 03 MCS only has 34K miles. This shouldn't be leaking already.
Thanks![/FONT]
My waterpump started leaking and needed to be replaced at 24K miles and 2 1/2 years of age, which also surprised me. Luckily I was still under the warranty.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:24 AM
TXMCS
1st Gear
Thanks for the special knowledge with the interlock. Once I get the Bentley manual and get in there, this will be a big help.

Since I'm going to have the SC off, this would be a great time to replace the SC pulley. I often hear of smaller pulleys and the performance they can bring, but can you suggest a pulley supplier/manufacture that you would recommend? Also, if the pulley is the only thing I do (right now) to my stock MCS, will I note a performance gain?

Thanks!
Jeff

Old 02-02-2009, 11:07 AM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, this would be a good time to consolidate tasks, including changing supercharger lube (and flushing the IC). The supercharger intake duct gasket should be replaced also. Remove the supercharger output duct at this time to give the lobes a thorough inspection and clean accumulated oil around the pressure relief ports; a new gasket here will be needed. Near complete evacuation of coolant can be done during this process as well. Photos of how far you will need to go to remove the SC can be seen in post #71 https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...er-pump-3.html . This can be performed in service mode without removing the radiator support but for a first time attempt it will be much easier to go all the way; access to coolant hoses behind the water pump, and the vacuum lines to the supercharger intake duct is limited.

It is unusual for the water pump to leak, in most cases it is the O-ring at the block, it would be a shame to replace the water pump if a $2.54 O-ring was only required. Can you see the leak? Where are you located?

Alta’s V1 reduction pulley is a proven product. A pulley clamp designed for the MINI pulley is required for removal of the stock pulley.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
I wasn't aware you were going to remove the SC, but if you plan to, then it would be a good time to change the pulley.

You can click the M7 link in my sig and order the same 16% pulley that I have, or you can call and talk to Peter(or Shelley) and order it that way.

You will feel a difference with a pulley on your stock MCS, but you will feel more obviously when you open up the intake and exhaust.

EDIT: k-huevo is a excellent source of info...and if you are anywhere near him I would suggest that you contact him. Thanks Keith

Old 02-02-2009, 11:27 AM
TXMCS
1st Gear
Really good info. Thanks!

It is unusual for the water pump to leak, in most cases it is the O-ring at the block, it would be a shame to replace the water pump if a $2.54 O-ring was only required. Can you see the leak? NO, it's only evident when it drips on the ground, but it must be running to the left because the pump is on the right, correct? Where are you located? Not sure, dealership diagnosed. I reallt haven't looked into it that closely.

Alta’s V1 reduction pulley is a proven product. A pulley clamp designed for the MINI pulley is required for removal of the stock pulley. Where can get the pulley and the tool?

Will I see performance improvements?

Thanks
Jeff

Old 02-02-2009, 11:29 AM
TXMCS
1st Gear
Thanks Partsman!! I replied to k-huevo before I saw your performance response, Thanks!

Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 AM
k-huevo
6th Gear
...Where are you located? Not sure...
Please read the question again.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:34 PM
TXMCS
1st Gear
Haslet, TX.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:22 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
For local support join http://www.metroplexmini.org/forum/index.php? . I suggest getting a second opinion on the water pump; two MINI friendly shops in Lewisville, Bob’s Tire and Auto 972-436-3359, and Fifth Gear Motorsports 972-317-4005.

Vendors such as Alta offer tool rental along with a pulley, or perhaps a local may have one to loan. There are a few how-tos here on NAM and another is on Alta’s web site. A reduction pulley is one of the few modifications you can feel for a reasonable dollar per HP ratio, and there are many threads on the subject if you use the search function.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:00 PM
TXMCS
1st Gear
Thanks k-huevo!

Last edited by TXMCS; 02-04-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:44 PM
TXMCS
1st Gear
Picked up me MINI today without having the water pump changed. I will do it myself, but the coolant system is full and nothing is leaking. It only seems to leak when it cold, been sitting, and even then it's few and far between drips.

Anyone else seen this?

The tech at the dealer said there is a weep hole in the pump. This same technology is used in the aviation world. It's a tell tail sign you have internal o-rings starting to leak/bypass. But typically, once a weep hole leaks it fluid, it doesn't stop or get better.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this weep hole?

Thanks
Jeff

Old 02-04-2009, 05:27 PM
splicer65
1st Gear
Yes, the weep hole faces rearward, tucked behind the rear hose outlet.
I can take a picture if you like. I have a supercharger/pump on my bench.

Paul

Old 02-04-2009, 06:37 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I had my car in the shop this week for a CV boot replacement, and they diagnosed the same weepy water pump weep hole syndrome... but I haven't seen it leak yet, personally. I'm gonna drive it a while and see if it actually loses any real amount of coolant... no puddle on the floor yet... when it did it at the dealership yesterday, the car had been sitting out in the cold for almost a week... which never happens in normal circumstances...

But I'm pretty confident that I can do the pump swap myself if necessary. FYI, the Bentley manual leads you to remove the SC horns, intake manifold and supercharger to replace the pump... but you don't really need to...

Old 03-17-2010, 05:22 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got a leaky water pump too...not sure about the weep hole though. Going to see it in person tomorrow. Funny that it seems I'm one step behind you. Your header breaks, mine does too, you're having throttle issues, me too, lol this is bad.

Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
I had my car in the shop this week for a CV boot replacement, and they diagnosed the same weepy water pump weep hole syndrome... but I haven't seen it leak yet, personally. I'm gonna drive it a while and see if it actually loses any real amount of coolant... no puddle on the floor yet... when it did it at the dealership yesterday, the car had been sitting out in the cold for almost a week... which never happens in normal circumstances...

But I'm pretty confident that I can do the pump swap myself if necessary. FYI, the Bentley manual leads you to remove the SC horns, intake manifold and supercharger to replace the pump... but you don't really need to...

Old 03-17-2010, 07:18 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry to jinx you, my brother.

I ran my weepy water pump until two weeks ago - then had it swapped out while my mechanic was installing my new head - really no extra labor at that point. It never lost a significant amount of coolant, but you could see where it had lost some over time down the front of the block.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Andy257
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
FYI, the Bentley manual leads you to remove the SC horns, intake manifold and supercharger to replace the pump... but you don't really need to...
X2 on this. I replaced a bad O-ring at the start of last spring and did not have to remove the SC, or Intake as seen in the pic below. With basic hand tools (no air/power tools) it was about 5hrs for tear down and the same for re-assembly that I spaced out over 2 weeknights.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:24 AM
TooTall
4th Gear
I think I'm here too, thanks for the pics and diagnosis guys. 4 years, 25,000 miles. Wish I'd seen it last fall when I parked for the winter - I was still under warranty then. But I've wanted a pulley, so as long as I have it apart...

Old 03-21-2010, 11:49 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
The tech at the dealer said there is a weep hole in the pump. This same technology is used in the aviation world. It's a tell tail sign you have internal o-rings starting to leak/bypass. But typically, once a weep hole leaks it fluid, it doesn't stop or get better.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this weep hole?

Thanks
Jeff
Many waterpumps have weep holes.....it is a way to gauge the condition of the shaft pump seal.........

On some cars, using the wrong anti-freeze can cause the seal to wear very quickly....Phosphate & Silicate Free anti-freezes are often specified for this reason....
On the MINI, I would stick with OEM, or Zerex G-05®.....both have the same chemical makeup as the car was delivered with....and is different from the Green/orange/red/pink ones.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water pump leak