R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Club door won't open

Old 05-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Club door won't open

A neighbor stopped me to ask about the new bigger MINI and I happily started showing her all its attributes but the club door wouldn't open. I've locked, unlocked, etc., and called my dealer - they'd never heard of this happening before. Have you and if so what's the solution?

I'll be driving it in on Monday if I can't figure it out.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Otra
6th Gear
For anyone who might be interested, I did find after several searches on MINI2 that at least one other person has had this happen: http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-f...club-door.html Now off to email my MA about it.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rut Row.....that stinks....I'm sure there is a quick fix....

Donna

Old 05-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Yes, I hope so. Apparently it may be a cable that has broken. I just kept hoping there was some kind of "child lock" hidden somewhere. C'est la vie. I think with this site and MINI2 that I expected a quick fix online.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:07 PM
bridgehorse
2nd Gear
Never happened to me so far, but I just bought the car in march. The club door opens and closes fine..do you think there might be something stuck in there?? That is very unusual that this would happen..good luck in getting it fixed.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:34 PM
zeddy
2nd Gear
I have been having the same issue, though after I tried it many times it eventually did open. One week after taking delivery I was at the dealer and had the service dept spray the mechanism with a lubricant, but now another couple of weeks later the clubdoor won't open again. So I will go to dealer again.

The problem with a suggested fix (which isn't solving it for me) has been posted here:

Sticky Clubman Club Door - and Fix
miniclubman (04-08-2008)

Old 05-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Arthuralda
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by zeddy
I have been having the same issue, though after I tried it many times it eventually did open. One week after taking delivery I was at the dealer and had the service dept spray the mechanism with a lubricant, but now another couple of weeks later the clubdoor won't open again. So I will go to dealer again.

The problem with a suggested fix (which isn't solving it for me) has been posted here:

Sticky Clubman Club Door - and Fix
miniclubman (04-08-2008)
My club door wasn't opening. I was bring ing it to the dealer to have the mechinism replace. It seems that the set-up for releaseing the lock is very sensitive. I never made it to the dealer - I had an encounter with a deer! I think the damage was about a tie. After hitting the deer my Club door has worked perfectly.

The Fix -
Lightly Lube the cable mechinism
Order new parts
Hit a deer
Paint the front of your car

Old 05-03-2008, 05:41 PM
RaceFace
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Arthuralda
My club door wasn't opening. I was bring ing it to the dealer to have the mechinism replace. It seems that the set-up for releaseing the lock is very sensitive. I never made it to the dealer - I had an encounter with a deer! I think the damage was about a tie. After hitting the deer my Club door has worked perfectly.

The Fix -
Lightly Lube the cable mechinism
Order new parts
Hit a deer
Paint the front of your car
Oh man! Thats a sucky trade off! I've seen what a deer can do to a car too. At least they were able to fix it.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Otra
6th Gear
zeddy, thanks for that link. I don't know why I couldn't seem to find it when I searched. Arthuralda - that is terrible that you hit/were hit by a deer! Thank goodness you're OK, though I'm sure the deer was not. I have to ask - how is your Clubman? Usually hitting a deer does very serious damage.

As for this club door issue, it's now clear that this is something that will have to be dealt with - and not, I hope, by a deer.

Since I just got this car on Monday, and have only used the club door about 3 times I think the dealership will have to fix it up for me....apparently the lubricant doesn't do the trick for others and they've had to replace it.

I wonder if there are Moderators on NAM who ever merge threads? It certainly would be nice to have related threads rolled into one.

Thanks you all for responding. Appreciate it.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:25 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Otra, I wrote of the original Club door issue. My fix, which was to just spray some silicone lube on the little triangular release mechanism and cable, has worked fine for the past few weeks. You can take it to the dealer to have them check it out, but they may end up doing exactly the same thing, spraying lube on the mechanism. To see if it's just "sticky", just grab the little plastic release at the bottom of the club door and see if it will pop out with a little light finger pressure. If it does, lube it, work it back and forth a few times, and see if it will pop open on it's own. A little flashlight to see the small cable behind the plastic release would also be handy. I gave that cable a shot of silicone lube, as well. It hasn't stuck once since the fix.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:34 AM
freez3
4th Gear
Location: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
Looks like a potential recall, once they figure it out.
Clubman owners keep us potential Clubman owners informed!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:55 AM
Otra
6th Gear
I wish these two ongoing club door threads could be merged...but just FYI, I have an appt. on Tuesday and will report back.

Also
FYI, two threads merged into one on MINI2 under 2nd Generation Faults and Fixes http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-f...ml#post3421120

Old 05-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Otra
6th Gear
OK, so today I managed to pull that black rectangular "button" out even farther and voila - the club door opened! . At least it appears to be this and not the cable. I'll take it in to the dealer on Thursday for a look see and report back to all of you who I know are sitting on the edge of your seats.

Last edited by Otra; 05-05-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:42 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Otra
OK, so today I managed to pull that black rectangular "button" out even farther and voila - the club door opened! . At least it appears to be this and not the cable. I'll take it in to the dealer on Thursday for a look see and report back to all of you who I know are sitting on the edge of your seats.
Oh that's pretty good news, then! Keep us posted!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Jeff S.
3rd Gear
Didn't your MA tell you that this is a new safety feature--that way you can't fall out of the car!! Or was it the Brink's option??

Old 05-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Old 05-06-2008, 07:34 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
It hasn't happened to us yet, but would be interested in learning about the problem and its resolution.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Took my car in this morning and waited while the technicians at my dealership in CT, took a look at it and attempted to fix it. Bottom line, although I could open the door if I pulled the black "button" out, is that they have ordered a new cable and a new gasket for the club door.

I can't say that everyone will need to get a new gasket if they develop this problem with the club door sticking, or not. I did notice, however, the day that I couldn't open the club door that first time, that when I opened the passenger's door, I saw a "thin stretched triangle sized" bit of light showing through the club door's gasket on to the inside edge of the car. It made me think that the gasket had pulled slightly away or had popped out a bit...which I mentioned to my service advisor this morning.

I have an appointment for this coming Tuesday for all this to be taken care of and will report back then. Apparently I am the first Clubman customer at my dealership to have come back with this club door issue, but I did tell them that I'd read about several others both here in the USA and overseas who'd experienced it.

That's it for now!

Last edited by Otra; 05-08-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the update.

Donna

Old 05-08-2008, 08:20 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
x2!

Old 05-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Otra
6th Gear
So, picked up the car with its new club door cable, right away I could see that the small black "button" was sticking out much farther than I'd seen it do so before, and the door seems to be just fine. They did not need to replace the gasket, just managed to put it back into place. All should be fine - if anything changes, you'll be the first to know.

Nice to have it to drive again - though I did have the pleasure of an MC loaner.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:55 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Glad to hear it's all fixed, Otra!

Old 05-14-2008, 05:05 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Otra - was the dealer specific on exactly what the problem was? Did they just replace the cable, or the complete mechanism? My guess on this issue is that's it's not the cable, but whatever spring-loaded mechanism the cable is attached to, since lubricating the mechanism solved the problem for me.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:06 PM
McCoin
1st Gear
Good deal, glad your door is working.
Thanks for keeping everyone informed on the issue.

I'm going to go and check out the black button and gasket on mine to prevent any future problems

Old 05-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Otra
6th Gear
miniclubman, all I know is that they'd ordered a cable and gasket but didn't need the new gasket...I didn't get a copy of my repair sheet or whatever it's called because it was late and I wanted to avoid being completely waylaid by rush hour traffic on 95 South - but when I receive it in the mail, I'll let you know if it says anything of interest.

Thanks LadyG and McCoin for your responses, too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R55 Club door won't open